Apple settles class-action suit over iPhone 4 antenna, offers US customers $15 or Bumper

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I keep forgetting, were there any reports of this problem outside the United States?

Australia here.

We had issues here as well, but in extremely low percentages.

My girlfriend's iPhone 4 has the issue but, as stated by Apple itself, it only becomes a problem when you are in an area of extremely poor reception (or on a crappy network). I have a 4S and, although it will also report poor reception in the same areas, the chance of disconnection is less likely.

Ironically, the advice given about 'not holding it that way' does address the issue and, unlike many other handsets, we have always had the issue of falling back on Apple's superb customer service and returning it. However, overall it has been a relative non-issue for us (hence the reason for still having the phone).

And it beats holding an Android handset in ANY way.
  • Reply 22 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishbert View Post

When you can drop a call with the light touch of a single fingertip, it's a big problem. The "poor service area" excuse was just that; an excuse?wasn't an issue with the 3 previous iPhones I've owned in the same service area (and isn't an issue with my current iPhone 4S). The problem wasn't the media blowing it out of proportion, but that the media called it good and collectively walked away with the bumper case program (cases don't fit where I use the phone most; was not a solution).

If I used my phone as a phone more than I do, it would've been a deal-breaker and a refund for me rather than an annoyance that I decided to live with.

The media called it good? What more would you have expected Apple to do?

If you're that unsatisfied with the device, there's that old' return policy. Apple isnt obligated to provide you a phone that's perfect for your specific needs. It's your choice to use it.
  • Reply 23 of 97
    Since I bought my iPhone 4 shortly after it was released, I've tried everything short of inserting it anally in my desperate efforts to get its connection to fail. Given how much I yearn to embrace the shrilly righteous moral imperative of the self-designated victim, I find the damned thing's refusal to drop a single call nothing less than infuriating.

I don't use a case: it has no scratches. I once dropped it while exiting my therapist's building: it (accurately) announced a text while bouncing down a flight of concrete fire stairs. One nasty Monday I threw into a (full) bathtub during a particularly annoying conversation with my mother: when I toweled it off, she was still squawking along uninterrupted. I forgot it was in that clever little pocket in my rain-drenched backup until it rang from inside the dryer: it was uncomfortably warm so I had to use the speaker to answer the call.

There's nothing to complain about: I absolutely hate the thing. I pray daily it will die so that I can justify switching to Android.
  • Reply 24 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

With the iPhone in the US you had 30 days to return it without a restocking fee and switch your plan back to the original one. On top of that Apple already offered the free Bumper or case, and I think they even extended the 30-day return policy. There was absolutely no reason these people would have had to endure the iPhone 4 since June 2010.

As I said above, I'm not suggesting Apple has done anything wrong. I'm simply stating that the class action lawsuit settlement doesn't really help anyone other than the lawyers. If a product is truly defective, how does refunding 2-3% of the price of the product actually help the victims? It doesn't. It's a token gesture at best, while lining the pockets of the lawyers.
  • Reply 25 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moooooser View Post

As I said above, I'm not suggesting Apple has done anything wrong. I'm simply stating that the class action lawsuit settlement doesn't really help anyone other than the lawyers. If a product is truly defective, how does refunding 2-3% of the price of the product actually help the victims? It doesn't. It's a token gesture at best, while lining the pockets of the lawyers.

In your first post you specified 2-3% of the subsidized price, but $15 is actually 7.5% of the $199 subsidized price that most people paid for their 16gb iPhone 4. To me that seems like a pretty substantial refund for a fake problem that most people never experienced.
  • Reply 26 of 97
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is any cell Phone I've owned. These lawyers aren't any better than the leaches in the patent troll business.
  • Reply 27 of 97
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

I keep forgetting, were there any reports of this problem outside the United States?

It's only impervious to the problem when it's inside the RDF. Steve Jobs (the CEO of Apple at the time) demonstrated on stage in front of a live audience it was an issue with the phone design and it dropped more calls than the previous generation phone. He even said that the notch at the base was like a target they accidentally marked out to make the phone fail.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60

I have sold and handled well over a thousand iPhone 4's since they were launched (including my own), I have NEVER seen this happen, not once in eighteen months.

But surely you don't make calls from all of them in poor reception areas, just your own.

You can see the demo side by side of the improvement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiV9lc76qrg

Engineers make mistakes, nobody is perfect. At least they saw the issue and fixed it.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Shouldn't have given them a dime.

I'm a shareholder and I disagree.
  • Reply 29 of 97
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well, that was worh the bother. Whoop-de-fucking-doo!!

I was for the lawyers probably.
  • Reply 30 of 97
    Fanboys all of you that keep on defending Apple and denying the problem because you have not experienced the problem or more likely because you don't "think" that the problem exists. I love Apple products but when they make a mistake we have to recognize it and not stick our heads in the sand. I have an iPhone 4. I don't live in a poor reception area. I ca reproduce the signal drop 100% of the time. Aside from that the iPhone 4 is a great device but Apple's denial of the problem and Steve's answer of "don't hold it that way" are not acceptable.

Wow, we were able to say that we love Apple and they made a mistake in the same paragraph! Now that's progress. Next session, we will work on looking at the mirror and saying "hi fanboy!"
  • Reply 31 of 97
    The only dropped calls I ever have are clearly due to the carrier. I look at my phone when the call drops, plenty of bars.

Hey ambulance chasers, when are you going to go after AT&T over the word 'unlimited?'
  • Reply 32 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I have sold and handled well over a thousand iPhone 4's since they were launched (including my own), I have NEVER seen this happen, not once in eighteen months.

I call bs. I was able duplicate this every time just by touching one fingertip to the offending spot in the phone.
  • Reply 33 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

All of your are customers and should be happy that Apple is giving out fixes or compensation for us.

Why all the hate? You people dont own Apple or even work for them.

All the hate is justified. People give their money to Apple, making them part of the club. This was an attack on them, personally, because they have made Apple the centerpiece of their digital lifestyle. If Apple is made to look bad, they too look bad, because they and Apple are basically the same thing, with huge overlaps. By buying Apple products, they have endorsed Apple and everything about Apple. They have melded their own identity with that of Apple. If Apple gets blemished, so too does their own credibility. If Apple is seen as shiny and cool, so too are they.

One needs to defend the companies who make the products that one chooses to buy, lest one be seen as as a worthless human being. It is normal.

For example, if someone owns a Toyota Camry, any/every piece of information about Toyota reflects on him personally. If a Yaris gets a recall over "bad brakes" or something, it is up to him to correct the score, or else all his friends get to call him a moron. That is just the way things work in the real world.

/Slappy
  • Reply 34 of 97
    I like the Bumper case. The one I got for free the last time is starting to fall apart.

I could use another one and free is better than $29.99
  • Reply 35 of 97
    Back then, Apple sent me a refund for the Apple Bumper I bought. What happens now? I'm using the same case with my 4S and it's getting sort of raggedy. I could use a new one. The new cases are different than the old cases in the openings, since the 4S has the mute switch in a slightly different location, and the space around the 30-pint connector is larger so more plugs fit.
  • Reply 36 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

So after a big suit, Apple agrees to the same solution they already offered (a free bumper). At least the lawyers will get a HUGE payment.

Will someone PLEASE think of the poor lawyers!
  • Reply 37 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post

I like the Bumper case. The one I got for free the last time is starting to fall apart.

I could use another one and free is better than $29.99

Except you won't be GETTING another one for free. You had your free ride with no real reason. That's it.
  • Reply 38 of 97
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Does this apply to Verizon phones or just AT&T? Did they have the antenna redesigned by the time the Verizon phone came out?
  • Reply 39 of 97
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Except you won't be GETTING another one for free. You had your free ride with no real reason. That's it.

I'm sure there will be plenty of blood suckers who try to get $15 out of Apple even if they had no problem with their phone at all.
  • Reply 40 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Does this apply to Verizon phones or just AT&T? Did they have the antenna redesigned by the time the Verizon phone came out?

They had the same antenna, but since the problem doesn't actually exist and no (that I've ever seen) Verizon users ever complained of having the problem, (and no Sprint users have ever complained) I can't imagine Apple accepting claims from them.