Apple issues statement on iPhone 4 'antenna-gate' lawsuit settlement

Comments

• Reply 61 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Maybe the fact that it was proven that was never a design fault in the first place would put a stop to people like you complaining about it.

Of course, you would never be able to do this unless it was an issue regarding another brand.

See how easy it is to do that?

(make broad accusations of bias based on nothing factual)

It was proven to be a design fault and if you cannot do a simple google search then I can see why you make such comments.
  • Reply 62 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, I'm an idiot and forgot* about the change in antenna. I deserve a tongue lashing for that one, that's for sure. YEAH, THAT'S A SURPRISE. OL' TALLEST SKIL FORGETTING SOMETHING. NOT LIKE HE HAS ANY FUNCTIONAL MEMORY OF ANY SORT. CAN'T RELY ON HIM. Hate myself?

That is your first statement I agree with!
  • Reply 63 of 120
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

. . . claims that TS was making, which is the only thing I'm posting about (for the moment).

While I think that for an debate ?*especially on this site ? he should have qualified his statement it's obvious to me he meant the GSM/UMTS iPhone 4 as the CDMA iPhone is obviously fundamentally different simply by virtue of the fact it connects to an entirely different type of network.

On top of that, you didn't link to the Verizon iPhone you linked to an article that predates its announcement by 6 months that was so speculative that they put a question mark in the title.
  • Reply 64 of 120
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

I don't think they arrived at a final conclusion. Some of the comments indicated a suspected change, while others did not. Altogether inconclusive as far as I can tell.

In any case I was letting TS know that iFixIt had commented, and wasn't ruling out a change was made. If that was his proof that nothing had changed, it's not.

Understood. I'm not sure what iFixit concluded, but I measured a number of later-manufacture iPhone 4s, and none had an insulating layer on the antenna bands.
  • Reply 65 of 120
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You're holding it wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

BS. In my family, we have two Nexus phones (different models). One belongs to my step brother, the other my step father. I am using the iPhone 4 (one shipped within the first two weeks of production). Both the Google phones experience the same issue if held a certain way. I have an old Motorola phone where the instruction book even tells you if you hold the phone a certain way it will experience signal loss. The only difference with the iPhone is it was easier to find the exact area to touch. Some might say that is a design feature because on the iPhone it isn't a mystery about the area you should avoid touching.

The iPhone 4S might have a different design, but that doesn't mean the original was defective. The iPhone 4S was redesigned to accommodate adding CDMA support.

Most importantly, Apple extended the time people could return the phone for a full refund if unhappy. Interestingly enough not many people elected that option.

This song pretty much sums it all up for me.

• Reply 66 of 120
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Understood. I'm not sure what iFixit concluded, but I measured a number of later-manufacture iPhone 4s, and none had an insulating layer on the antenna bands.

Interesting. . .

Any guess from you on why at least some number of early iPhone 4 models had demonstrable issues, while later ones seem to largely avoid the complaints from their users?
  • Reply 67 of 120
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Interesting. . .

Any guess from you on why at least some number of early iPhone 4 models had demonstrable issues, while later ones seem to largely avoid the complaints from their users?

got a link for that?
  • Reply 68 of 120
    . . .
  • Reply 69 of 120
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Interesting. . .

I would love to know the answer to that. My suspicion, which will likely be unpopular, is that it was media-driven.

A big deal was made of it, and so lots of people were busy trying to reproduce it on their shiny new iPhones. And sure enough, just like most phones, if you change the antenna impedance by "holding it wrong", you can change the signal strength. As time passed and the phones actually worked fine, people lost interest and stopped trying to make it happen, and as it was almost never a significant cause of dropped calls, the whole thing got forgotten. The signal strength display algorithm was changed, and that may also have helped to avoid mistaking the cause of dropped calls as due to this, when in fact it may just have been poor signal strength to begin with.

I can still cause a signal strength drop on my Verizon IP4 by bridging the bands - it's just not an issue in real use.

So I would suggest that most phones have similar demonstrable issues, but most are ignored, as the iPhone 4's also now is.
  • Reply 70 of 120
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member
    Samsung and RIM deny signal problems, says iPhone only issue

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...e-2029995.html
  • Reply 71 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MHD View Post

• Reply 72 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you have any articles or just easily manipulatable youtube videos?
  • Reply 73 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I would love to know the answer to that. My suspicion, which will likely be unpopular, is that it was media-driven.

Thanks for the opinion Muppetry. Can't say it couldn't be correct.
  • Reply 74 of 120
    Quote:

Do you have any articles or just easily manipulatable youtube videos?

Plenty of articles of Steve Jobs on stage completely decimating all the pathetic shortsighted lies RiM and Samsung spewed to try to get a leg up over the dominate iPhone. There are also plenty of independent tests that show that other phones single will weaken if you block the signal with your hand, including the link GatorGuy posted to AnandTech. And then there the physics of this universe regarding blocking a radio wave with a dense material. But you can ignore all that and take unsubstantiated comments from CEOs that should have just kept their mouth shut but instead were shown to be liars and fools. So far you haven't said enough to be shown to be anymore than the latter.
  • Reply 75 of 120
    Quote:

I can't stand blackberries but have had several as company issued phones and they all had excellent reception. Only thing good about them really.
  • Reply 76 of 120
    Quote:

Plenty of articles of Steve Jobs on stage completely decimating all the pathetic shortsighted lies RiM and Samsung spewed to try to get a leg up over the dominate iPhone. There are also plenty of independent tests that show that other phones single will weaken if you block the signal with your hand, including the link GatorGuy posted to AnandTech. And then there the physics of this universe regarding blocking a radio wave with a dense material. But you can ignore all that and take unsubstantiated comments from CEOs that should have just kept their mouth shut but instead were shown to be liars and fools. So far you haven't said enough to be shown to be anymore than the latter.

None of them dropped calls like the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 77 of 120
    Quote:

None of them dropped calls like the iPhone 4.

None of them held calls like the iPhone 4.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnandTech

The Antenna is Improved

From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use.

It's been almost 2 years. I'd say own up to your errors jumped on a bandwagon because Apple did something so radical from the status quo that it must be bad just find out that it wasn't only better but that no one else has even come close to challenging them in the very, very short time they've been selling phones. But I can't imagine you would be seeing as how you are so investing in hating Apple you couldn't bare to admit that you are wrong.
  • Reply 78 of 120
    @ Gatorguy,

How widespread were the WiFi issues in the GSM/UMTS iPhone 4?
  • Reply 79 of 120
    Quote:

@ Gatorguy,

How widespread were the WiFi issues in the GSM/UMTS iPhone 4?

WiFi issues? I didn't know about any so I have no idea. Can you supply a link to it and tell me what the point is, or what I should be looking for and why?
  • Reply 80 of 120
    Quote:

WiFi issues? I didn't know about any so I have no idea. Can you supply a link to it and tell me what the point is, or what I should be looking for and why?

I don't know about any issues either, but I assume they must be rampant because the WiFi antenna was moved from being external to internal between the GSM iPhone 4 release, and the CMDA iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S releases.
    Quote:

In addition, the 4S locates the WiFi antenna in the same place as the CDMA iPhone 4. If you missed it back then, and have read the previous cellular connectivity section, you’re probably wondering where the WiFi and Bluetooth antennas went, given the absence of a stainless steel band for them. The answer is inside, printed on a flex board, like virtually everyone else does for their cellular antennas

(See what I did there?)