Alleged 'iPad 3' photos showcase larger camera, tapered case

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

High quality photos received through "special channels" by a Chinese publication allegedly show that the next generation iPad will sport a larger rear-facing camera than the current iPad 2, and will use a slightly redesigned case as compared to previous models.

The purported "iPad 3" photos clearly show () the the rear-facing camera is larger than the iPad 2's, and the Taiwanese publication Apple Daily that published the pictures on Saturday claims that the change was made to accommodate an 8 megapixel sensor.

This would be a significant jump in resolution for the tablet, though a much-welcomed upgrade from the harshly-reviewed 1MP camera found on the iPad 2.

Previously leaked photos of an alleged "iPad 3" prototype case showed that the size of the camera hole was similar to that of the iPad 2, but it was noted that there was a change in how the sensor would be mounted.

In comparison, the iPhone 3G, and iPhone 4 all have higher resolution imagers at 2MP, 3.2MP and 5MP, respectively. The newest iPhone 4S has on-phone cameras in the world, boasting redesigned optics and a backside illuminated 8MP sensor capable of shooting 1080p videos.

Along with the change in lens size, the case of the alleged next generation iPad looks to be more beveled than its predecessor. This slight change in design is consistent with previously-published images of the back case, and is supposedly meant to afford more space for a larger battery.

Purported 'iPad 3' case and comparison photos. | Source: Apple Daily

The new photos are added to the pile of rumors and speculation that has slowly grown over the past month as the one-year anniversary of the iPad 2's launch grows near.

The "iPad 3" is rumored to sport a Sharp manufactured Retina Display with a pixel density similar to that of the iPhone 4S, wireless 4G LTE connectivity and a proprietary A6 CPU.

Rumors claim that Apple will announce the anticipated next generation tablet on March 7, almost exactly one year since the iPad 2 was introduced in 2011.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 134
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Does anyone think any of these common rumours from components to event date are not going to happen? If you don't think some aspect will happen what is your reasoning?
  • Reply 2 of 134
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Looks real to me, it's the kind of evolutionary change Apple does. I wonder if there will be a takedown request soon?

It's logical that it would get the 4S camera.

I hope it does have a larger battery. I think it's impossible to overestimate how much all-day battery is part of the iPad's success. If you had to plug it in every 2-4 hours people would have been put off.
  • Reply 3 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Looks real to me, it's the kind of evolutionary change Apple does. I wonder if there will be a takedown request soon?

I hope it does have a larger battery. I think it's impossible to overestimate how much all-day battery is part of the iPad's success. If you had to plug it in every 2-4 hours people would have been put off.

Bigger battery needed to feed the denser display and heftier specs. Should end up about the same as iPad 2 charge time.

I haven't heard much about the iPad getting Siri, but I sure hope so.
  • Reply 4 of 134
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    The screen is rumored to be manufactured by LG and Samsung. Sharp is having trouble with yields.
  • Reply 5 of 134
    Funny, I still think the original iPad case was a classier design. The iPad2 felt a bit cheaper.

Either way, I'm, surprised they haven't included the metal volume buttons introduced on the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 6 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Funny, I still think the original iPad case was a classier design. The iPad2 felt a bit cheaper.

Either way, I'm, surprised they haven't included the metal volume buttons introduced on the iPhone 4.

Agreed, I much prefer my original iPad's feel to the iPad 2. Oh well... gonna get me an iPad 3 either way!
  • Reply 7 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The "iPad 3" is rumored to sport an iPhone 4S-like 2,048-by-1,536 pixel Retina Display possibly manufactured by Sharp, wireless 4G LTE connectivity and a proprietary A6 CPU.

I hadn't realized that the 4S had a 2048x1536 display. :-/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Not sure if the device is thick enough for that. Personally I don't ever use the iPad rear camera, though I wouldn't want it removed - perhaps having a 4S in my pocket at the time and PhotoStream means it's pretty pointless now(?)
  • Reply 8 of 134
    Quote:

I like the newer designs better
  • Reply 9 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The screen is rumored to be manufactured by LG and Samsung. Sharp is having trouble with yields.

Unless I missed the announcement from Sharp licensing their IGZO technology, neither LG nor Samsung are in on this one.
  • Reply 10 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

harshly-reviewed 1MP camera found on the iPad 2.

Great, so now we are going to have a pile of dumb reviews hailing iPad photography as "the next big thing" and "why didn't Apple do this before".
  • Reply 11 of 134
    ... the invites arrive Friday ....

8^ ]
  • Reply 12 of 134
    Quote:

Agreed, I've always liked the first generation model's physical design best. But I suspect that changes in case design have been driven more by engineering considerations than aesthetics (e.g., making room for a larger battery.)
  • Reply 13 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Not sure if the device is thick enough for that. Personally I don't ever use the iPad rear camera, though I wouldn't want it removed - perhaps having a 4S in my pocket at the time and PhotoStream means it's pretty pointless now(?)

I've seen folks using their iPad as a camera (I still have the 1st gen model) and it's usually an awkward looking affair, especially in public. For me my iPhone is usually my first choice for taking pictures while I envision using the iPad's camera primarily when I need to take a photo while using the iPad. In other words I see it as a convenience feature and not as a primary camera option.
  • Reply 14 of 134
    Huh? I can't understand why anyone would prefer the thicker & heavier iPad with the bulging backside over the lighter, svelte iPad 2. Can't wait to get my clammy little hands on the iPad 3 so I can fob off my iPad 3G.
  • Reply 15 of 134
    I'm definately getting one...probably not going to use the camera that much but at least I know I have a good one on my ipad
  • Reply 16 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I've seen folks using their iPad as a camera (I still have the 1st gen model) and it's usually an awkward looking affair, especially in public. For me my iPhone is usually my first choice for taking pictures while I envision using the iPad's camera primarily when I need to take a photo while using the iPad. In other words I see it as a convenience feature and not as a primary camera option.

Well time was when photographers had to lug around huge wooden boxes on tripods, so in comparison the heft of an iPad is not such a big deal (at least to me.) Plus, not everyone who is going to own an iPad will also be endowed with an iPhone, or even necessarily with a decent camera phone. I myself prefer to lug around an iPad 3G and a dumb little pay-go phone? don't need to pay for two data plans (and am still grandfathered for unlimited with AT&T, though expect that to change with LTE.) With a headset, I can even Skype with the iPad, so don't really need the phone that much at all. Of course, I never leave home without a back pack/shoulder bag.
  • Reply 17 of 134
    There will be no tapered design. Tapering the case goes against what appear to be essential design and functional goals of "orientation agnosticism"-the experience shouldn't change when orientations are changed. Users would feel a thicker device in one hand and a thinner device in the other and that would get even worse as orientations changed repeatedly.

Due to differences in thickness across hands, a tapered design would make users prefer landscape over portrait (or vice versa) in order to feel the device is balanced. More than anything, it would reflect lazy thinking and poor design compromises.

Not to mention it would wreak havoc on application design and function. Imagine gaming on that thing. Won't happen on the iPad and it'll never happen on an iPhone. What works for my Macbook Air (tapered design) is very different than what would work for a hand-held device.
  • Reply 18 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

There will be no tapered design.

The design is tapered now, so?

Quote:

Users would feel a thicker device in one hand and a thinner device in the other and that would get even worse as orientations changed repeatedly.

No, it's not that kind of tapering. Look at the image.
  • Reply 19 of 134
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

That wording was a little awkward, and it looks like it was changed. But it seems clear they meant that it was an iPhone-like retina display. Inserting the pixel dimensions might have been a foiled attempt at making it seem more interesting.

Quote:

Agreed, I've always liked the first generation model's physical design best. But I suspect that changes in case design have been driven more by engineering considerations than aesthetics (e.g., making room for a larger battery.)

I think it's more a matter of practicality. A curved back means that it can't sit flat on a table.

Quote:

I haven't seen the iPad camera app, but while it would look ungainly to others, I can see having the large, high density preview as a bonus. Especially if the user has poor vision.
  • Reply 20 of 134
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

Huh? I can't understand why anyone would prefer the thicker & heavier iPad with the bulging backside over the lighter, svelte iPad 2. Can't wait to get my clammy little hands on the iPad 3 so I can fob off my iPad 3G.

I don't prefer the weight, but I do prefer the flat edges of the original iPad.