Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

189101113

Comments

  • matt_smatt_s Posts: 292member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    I don't know why people think Mountain Lion is dumbed down. What's dumb about Notes, Reminders, Notifications, Cloud Integration, Code signing, Airplay Mirroring?



    Ok, Twitter is dumb, but I don't mind all the social networking stuff if it's hidden behind a Share Sheet button I can safely ignore.



    You can still do all the hard core stuff you can do with Lion: open a terminal window, write your own app in C and run it (without signing if you don't want)... There's no dumbing down.



    Because we're getting no substance. It's all fluff and it's all been done before. Notes, Reminders, Notifications, Cloud Integration, Code signing, Airplay Mirroring are all copies - regurgitations - of what's already available, what's already been done in iOS. This isn't OS X innovation. It's OS X trivialization.



    Where are the xHCI USB3.0 drivers? Do we get an up-to-date OpenGL, or more of the same old crapola? Where's Mountain Lion server? Can we span multiple monitors with actual reliability? Will we get better memory management? Will there be anything innovative to plug into that fabulously pathetic Thunderbolt port (i.e., will Apple kick Intel's ass to get their act together)?



    Or are we just a big shiny $2500 cell phone now?
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,977member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    Where are the xHCI USB3.0 drivers?



    In Ivy Bridge, which isn't out yet and therefore has no place being told to us?



    Quote:

    Will there be anything innovative to plug into that fabulously pathetic Thunderbolt port (i.e., will Apple kick Intel's ass to get their act together)?







    Quote:

    Or are we just a big shiny $2500 cell phone now?



    Honestly, get over this.
  • matt_smatt_s Posts: 292member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post




    Honestly, get over this.



    Honestly, get with it.



    I have no qualms or issues with innovation. It's good for my Apple stock. This is not OS X innovation.



    And it's great Apple's selling lots of iPads and iPhones. It's super duper, really. But to me, that has zero to do with Mac OS X.



    When I paid for all the Apple computers in our lab and across our office, and there's a boatload of them, I expected a robust OS X, not iOS. If I had wanted iPads at each workstation, I would have purchased iPads at each workstation.



    Where's the speed improvements in Mountain Lion? Stability improvements? Server? Ivy Bridge is not needed to get USB3.0, there are stand alone controllers. Apple used stand alone controllers for SCSI, USB1.0, USB1.1, FireWire and now, Thunderbolt. They could easily use them again. But this wouldn't be iPad-like. And Mountain Lion is "inspired by iPad."



    We don't want an iPad Pro.



    Interesting that Lion's adoption rate beats Vista but lags big time vs Snow Leopard.



    Why you would even care about how we go about our business and what our technical needs are baffles me...
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,977member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    When I paid for all the Apple computers in our lab and across our office, and there's a boatload of them, I expected a robust OS X?



    Show me where you're not getting that. Did they remove the Terminal? Can you not get to the Finder?



    Quote:

    Where's the speed improvements in Mountain Lion? Stability improvements?



    All over the place, but you'd know that if you'd used it.



    Quote:

    Why you would even care about how we go about our business and what our technical needs are baffles me?



    And since you've not even tried Mountain Lion, I can't imagine how you know your technical needs aren't met by it.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    Honestly, get with it.



    I have no qualms or issues with innovation. It's good for my Apple stock. This is not OS X innovation.



    YOu do have issues with innovation because you don't think that making the Mac better is innovation. You are losing nothing from the Mac but gaining functionality and usabilty and yet you are complaining. You even complained that bringing AirPlay to the Mac yet now all those people that complained about not having Safari on their TV can now do it was a $99 AppleTV.



    Quote:

    And it's great Apple's selling lots of iPads and iPhones. It's super duper, really. But to me, that has zero to do with Mac OS X.



    So you're upset that Apple has not only shown heavy focus on the Mac by doing yearly updates but is also trying to get the Mac to be more popular than before by taking elements that work cross-platform and applying them to OS X to make the Mac more useable and instantly familiar to users.



    You really don't see what it wrong with your perception here, do you?



    Quote:

    When I paid for all the Apple computers in our lab and across our office, and there's a boatload of them, I expected a robust OS X, not iOS. If I had wanted iPads at each workstation, I would have purchased iPads at each workstation.



    Then ignore this update and keep using Lion or SL or whatever you think the last "real" version of Mac OS X was. It's not like anyone expected ML to arrive until 2013 or 2014 anyway. I'm sure by then the people that are complaining about ML now will be saying that ML was the last "real' version of OS X and that 10.10 is where Apple has lost its way.



    Quote:

    Where's the speed improvements in Mountain Lion? Stability improvements?



    Where are the stability improvements in the first beta of a new OS?



    As for speed there are plenty of little speed improvements across many apps. Safari's visual history and Mail in general certainly load faster. I already use an SSD so an app taking more than one bounce to launch is a rarity so I'm hard pressed to accurately measure milliseconds but perception-wise the whole thing appears to respond a little better.



    Most of the speed improvements are coming from usability enhancements. For instance Notification Center can be invoked by hitting the button in the upper right corner or, more easily, sliding two fingers from the right edge just off the trackpad toward the center of the trackpad. It's just like with iOS except it's on the side. That allows me to see a lot of information quickly.



    Quote:

    Server? Ivy Bridge is not needed to get USB3.0, there are stand alone controllers.



    And those controllers are HW that no Mac has yet your previous comment suggested that Apple could simply supply USB 3.0 drivers to make it work. As TS stated USB 3.0 will come with Ivy Bridge because it's part of the chipset. If it doesn't then I'll join you in complaining.



    Quote:

    Apple used stand alone controllers for SCSI, USB1.0, USB1.1, FireWire and now, Thunderbolt. They could easily use them again. But this wouldn't be iPad-like. And Mountain Lion is "inspired by iPad."



    Apple used stand alone controllers for a lot of things and they also didn't for a lot of things. What's your point? And why are you even bringing it up when the next round of Mac updates will include Ivy Bridge with the USB 3.0 controller built in?



    Quote:

    We don't want an iPad Pro.



    This kind of hyperbole shows you're not even trying to think about this rationally.



    Quote:

    Interesting that Lion's adoption rate beats Vista but lags big time vs Snow Leopard.



    Proof? I have a hard time believing that Lion outsold Vista.



    Quote:

    Why you would even care about how we go about our business and what our technical needs are baffles me...



    What does this even mean? You came to an open internet forum to complain about an OS update you are not forced to install with issues that you've made up without actually understanding the issues. You lose nothing with ML. If you don't want to use iCloud don't use an iCloud ID. It's that fucking simple. You don't want to extend your Mac into a more useful device that seamlessly connects with an iDevice or AppleTV then don't use those features. Messages doesn't remove anything iCat had, it just finally adds iMessages to the list of IM options.



    Bottom line: If I have one complaint about ML it's that this is what I expected from Lion over a year ago.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Show me where you're not getting that. Did they remove the Terminal? Can you not get to the Finder?



    It's amazing the number of myopic reactionary complaints on various forums. On David Pogue's article the commenters were rallying against how LaunchPad has ruined the Mac yet I don't recall anyone stating how Finder still exists or that you don't have to use LaunchPad.



    I removed it from Dock immediately. As a longtime Mac user I know the name of the apps I want and where they are. I still don't use Finder for them as that's slow, just use Spotlight to grab them if they aren't already pinned to my Dock.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,977member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I removed it from Dock immediately. As a longtime Mac user I know the name of the apps I want and where they are. I still don't use Finder for them as that's slow, just use Spotlight to grab them if they aren't already pinned to my Dock.



    There's a search in Launchpad in Mountain Lion now, which is probably nice for people with enough applications to lose in it, even with the best organizational pattern.



    I just wish the FREAKING FOLDERS WOULD CLOSE when you pick an application from them.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    There's a search in Launchpad in Mountain Lion now, which is probably nice for people with enough applications to lose in it, even with the best organizational pattern.



    The search is nice. The whole reason for LuanchPad for those unfamiliar with a standard OS file system can find apps easily so it makes sense, hence my previous comment about ML being what LIon should have been last year.



    Quote:

    I just wish the FREAKING FOLDERS WOULD CLOSE when you pick an application from them.



    I see your point. This is different from iOS. I wonder if it's so users won't have to go looking for that same folder again if they are opening multiple apps in the folder? Should iOS follow this method of the other way around? Overall I think it's a moot point since this it's not an app for those familiar with OS X. It's a starter Finder.
  • bruce youngbruce young Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post


    And "Mountain Lion"? Really? When I first heard it, I thought it was a joke. That makes three Apple OS releases that are basically the same animal (Puma, Panther, Mountain Lion).



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    Pretty much. What's next? West Texas Mountain Lion?



    'Cougar' may be tapped for an upcoming release.



    Wikipedia:
    Quote:

    cougar (Puma concolor), also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther,



  • hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 11,871member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post




    Interesting that Lion's adoption rate beats Vista but lags big time vs Snow Leopard.




    Omnigroup's data says otherwise.



    http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/lion_adoption/
  • bruce youngbruce young Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Omnigroup's data says otherwise.



    http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/lion_adoption/



    Interesting chart.

    And it does look like strong Lion uptake.

    Though, it is only for Omni application users...



    I wish there was a graph that shows OS uptake (across all OS X users) in two components:
    - those who intentionally upgrade from a previous OS release, vs.

    - those who get the newer OS because it came on the machine they bought.
    (but that's just my curiosity)



    I will say that I like the Omnigroup folks - even bought their whole suite of apps a few years back.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post


    Interesting chart.

    And it does look like strong Lion uptake.

    Though, it is only for Omni application users...



    I wish there was a graph that shows OS uptake (across all OS X users) in two components:
    - those who intentionally upgrade from a previous OS release, vs.

    - those who get the newer OS because it came on the machine they bought.
    (but that's just my curiosity)



    I will say that I like the Omnigroup folks - even bought their whole suite of apps a few years back.



    You can extrapolate that info (for the most part) by looking at the number of Mac sales. Apple updates their Macs immediately just make sure you divide the total by the number of days and subtract the estimated number of sales prior to the launch of the OS. I wouldn't bother with weighting the numbers in favour of more sales post the OS release even though they would be higher.
  • bigphotosbigphotos Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    Honestly, get with it.



    I have no qualms or issues with innovation. It's good for my Apple stock. This is not OS X innovation.



    And it's great Apple's selling lots of iPads and iPhones. It's super duper, really. But to me, that has zero to do with Mac OS X.



    When I paid for all the Apple computers in our lab and across our office, and there's a boatload of them, I expected a robust OS X, not iOS. If I had wanted iPads at each workstation, I would have purchased iPads at each workstation.



    Where's the speed improvements in Mountain Lion? Stability improvements? Server? Ivy Bridge is not needed to get USB3.0, there are stand alone controllers. Apple used stand alone controllers for SCSI, USB1.0, USB1.1, FireWire and now, Thunderbolt. They could easily use them again. But this wouldn't be iPad-like. And Mountain Lion is "inspired by iPad."



    We don't want an iPad Pro.



    Interesting that Lion's adoption rate beats Vista but lags big time vs Snow Leopard.



    Why you would even care about how we go about our business and what our technical needs are baffles me...





    For my work - a professional photography studio - I have not updated my big Mac Pros to Lion - and see no desire to do so for Mountain Lion as yet. What I need are speed improvements - and a replacement for the eSATA PCIe board and connections that I use to move image files back and forth from 15 external drives - 30 TB of external storage that I have to interact with. Thunderbolt --- Pie in the Sky - with big $$$$...

    I love my iPad and my iPhone 4S - and the new iMac in the office (came with Lion installed as did my new MacBook Pro), but my big Mac Pros are failing at working with the 2.3 GB 16-bit images that we print onto canvas at 44x68 inches and 360ppi.

    My Better Light camera system shoots 600 MB photos at 245 megapixels- and I spend half my days watching bars go across the screen - or spinning beach balls - even with 16GB of RAM.

    My newest Nikon D800 will use USB3 - which I do not have and may not get. Nikon USA only last week update their software to Lion ...

    And now, the OS becomes more iPhone like ...... I still miss "Save As" ---



    Yippee - not.
  • macapptrainingmacapptraining Posts: 49member
    Notes, Reminders, and Messages should have come with Lion! It's great they're finally coming. It's odd having an OS without those three key apps included. The OS X and iOS ecosystem will finally almost be complete with these apps and other additions in Mountain Lion. Looking forward to it! I think it's great too maybe moving toward an annual OS X update release, much like iOS. Less expensive too in the MAS, all digital, it's the future. I also have hopes that Apple's secrecy isn't so secret in the future. You gotta keep your customers informed of what's to come. For those that miss the messages because they are released so late, will most likely not catch up! Give the info early, for customer recognition. Secrecy will just confuse your customers.
  • matt_smatt_s Posts: 292member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigPhotos View Post


    For my work - a professional photography studio - I have not updated my big Mac Pros to Lion - and see no desire to do so for Mountain Lion as yet. What I need are speed improvements - and a replacement for the eSATA PCIe board and connections that I use to move image files back and forth from 15 external drives - 30 TB of external storage that I have to interact with. Thunderbolt --- Pie in the Sky - with big $$$$...

    I love my iPad and my iPhone 4S - and the new iMac in the office (came with Lion installed as did my new MacBook Pro), but my big Mac Pros are failing at working with the 2.3 GB 16-bit images that we print onto canvas at 44x68 inches and 360ppi.

    My Better Light camera system shoots 600 MB photos at 245 megapixels- and I spend half my days watching bars go across the screen - or spinning beach balls - even with 16GB of RAM.

    My newest Nikon D800 will use USB3 - which I do not have and may not get. Nikon USA only last week update their software to Lion ...

    And now, the OS becomes more iPhone like ...... I still miss "Save As" ---



    Yippee - not.



    Mountain Lion is not a Mac OS X OS upgrade, it's nothing more than an "iPad apps for Lion" app pack.
  • hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 11,871member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    Mountain Lion is not a Mac OS X OS upgrade, it's nothing more than an "iPad apps for Lion" app pack.



    Depends on how you define "upgrade"
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,977member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    Mountain Lion is not a Mac OS X OS upgrade, it's nothing more than an "iPad apps for Lion" app pack.



    Then don't upgrade if you want to believe those lies. No one's forcing you to upgrade.
  • matt_smatt_s Posts: 292member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Then don't upgrade if you want to believe those lies. No one's forcing you to upgrade.



    Do you have anything of value to add? Otherwise, why bother?
  • a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post


    'Cougar' may be tapped for an upcoming release.



    Wikipedia:



    The way things are going the next version will be called "road kill feline" because Mac Os x will have been run over with a mack truck full of iPads bound for Walmart.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,977member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    Do you have anything of value to add? Otherwise, why bother?



    You've already been proven wrong a dozen times over. What you've said is far, FAR from the case. The question you've asked is more valid if it's asked of you, not me.
Sign In or Register to comment.