Alleged 'iPad 3' photos showcase larger camera, tapered case

Comments

• Reply 41 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Bull. iCloud cannot and will NEVER replace the ability to have tons of movies and TV shows on your devices. Capacities will continue to increase until the telecoms are shut down and companies whose job it is to actually improve our infrastructure are put in place.

Google was doing gigabit fiber to the home. Whatever became of that? I don't want Google doing it, I don't want Google owning the servers, I don't want Google involved. I want that fiber made and I want it laid. By other companies.

This needs done. There's no excuse for it not to be. When more than 30% of the country has even a QUARTER of a gigabit fiber to a home, I'll start agreeing with you, but by then portable Apple products will hold a terabyte.

I see no trend towards increasing internal capacity at the greatest possible rate. In fact, I was surprised that the legacy iPhones were released only in 8 gig models.

I think that the portable devices will have only moderately high capacities. I think that iCloud is a big part of Apple's plan to integrate devices.

I don't see a terabyte iPhone any time soon. People who prefer to have segregated, incomplete storage locally will become a minority, IMO, with Apple encouraging the transition in not-so-subtle ways.
  • Reply 42 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

IMO a tablet shouldn't really be any heavier than a thick magazine, and should be just as easy to hold in the hands.

I agree, but we may be a few years away from that, because of the battery life benchmarks Apple has set for itself. Isn't the battery a main cause of the "heaviness" of the iPad? I don't have time to Google the breakdown...
  • Reply 43 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The more storage Apple gives us in our devices, the less incentive we have to pay for iCloud.

I would not expect Apple portable devices to have lots of internal storage any more.

Right. Which is why they introduced iCloud with a 64GB iPhone 4S right?
  • Reply 44 of 134
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Yeah, hard to say. With Retina and 64GB + 128GB models that could be the premium iPad 3, then maybe iPad 2S with 16GB only. Or a full-on frontal assault with iPad 3 only at 16/32/64GB 3G/Wifi as per usual.

I'm sure it's a hot topic in Apple management right now!

Usually the cheaper models sell more than the more expensive models. You have an entry level price that is appealing and hope for a certain amount of up sale. You make more on profit with the up sale but you also sell less.

However, it seems to me the 64GB WiFi+3G iPad is the most popular among my friends and family. I'm not sure about too many surveys but I think I saw one that showed the most and least expensive iPads as the most popular.

With this in mind I can see a scenario for Apple capitalizing on that interest with a more expensive model that does that 128GB. The problem with this is that 4 model options can be bad for marketing.

I can also see a scenario where they charge more for the iPad 3. It's not like anyone is challenging them in this market but at the same time they can also wrap up their natural monopoly position this year, besting their iPod dominance time by many years.

Can this new display be had for about the same price as the current one when it came out in 2010? If not, let's say it's $20 more per unit, would Apple eat that cost to ensure their position or would they add other components to offset an increase in cost they will have to charge. For instance, more storage. If they are adding an 8Mpx camera ? which I think is pointless in an tablet) ? perhaps that's exactly what they are doing.
  • Reply 45 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is it getting cheap enough that they can double it this year? Typically the doubling for the same price is because of a die shrinkage but there has been issues with that regarding speed and longevity. On top of that, if they are adding the Retina Display you have to consider of that component and marketing for doing both in the same year.

Apple hasn't marketed the increased storage capacity in the iPhone 4S. Additionally, the high resolution display will require high resolution graphics which will require more storage capacity.

I hope Apple releases a 128GB version, it would fit perfectly in-between my MacBook Air, with 256GB, and my iPhone 4S, with 64GB.
  • Reply 46 of 134
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The newest iPhone 4S has on-phone cameras in the world,

Pretty sure you accidentally a whole paragraph in this case.

Despite so many people thinking rear cameras on a tablet are pointless, I've always thought their potential was unrealized. With the iPad's processing power and large screen, it could have meant nice real-time effects being applied to pictures that were actually good, but instead we got the same shitty camera as the iPod Touch that even a dumbphone in 2012 would be ashamed to have. I hope it has the same sensor as the 4S, that would no doubt lead to some interesting capabilities.

I'll also hop on the boat that says its well past time for a capcity doubling, not just increasing the top end one but the base models too. Competitors at a similar or lower price are usually competing with an iPad at half the storage now. I'm sure Apple wants iCloud to be the future, but for me at least local storage is still important.
  • Reply 47 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Pretty sure you accidentally a whole paragraph in this case.

Despite so many people thinking rear cameras on a tablet are pointless, I've always thought their potential was unrealized. With the iPad's processing power and large screen, it could have meant nice real-time effects being applied to pictures that were actually good, but instead we got the same shitty camera as the iPod Touch that even a dumbphone in 2012 would be ashamed to have. I hope it has the same sensor as the 4S, that would no doubt lead to some interesting capabilities.

Also of course to go with the Retina Displays ~ this, changes everything. Again.
  • Reply 48 of 134
    Quote:

Can this new display be had for about the same price as the current one when it came out in 2010? If not, let's say it's $20 more per unit, would Apple eat that cost to ensure their position or would they add other components to offset an increase in cost they will have to charge. For instance, more storage. If they are adding an 8Mpx camera — which I think is pointless in an tablet) — perhaps that's exactly what they are doing.

I agree with everything else you mentioned in your post, but was wondering: If Tim Cook managed to finagle lower prices on other of the components (e.g. the various radio chips) through economies of scale, perhaps that could have off set the increased cost of the new display, especially if the difference is only $20? I'd imagine having done away with the two separate models for AT&T and Verizon would have saved a small bundle... guess we'll find out soon enough, counting my shekels now...

Edit:

Also am curious about the RAM. Doubled from the first generation to the second but is still only 512MB, not enough for tabbed browsing without ever having to reload pages. With the low data caps this is quite annoying, not to mention time consuming with slow connections. Really hope Apple went with a full gig on the iPad 3.
  • Reply 49 of 134
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    The only time I've used my rear camera (actually just the video) on my iPad (as opposed to the iPhone), is when I'm face timing and showing something to who I'm talking to. Outside of that, I don't really use it. But I'm not sure if it's because of the functionality, or because it sucks so bad.

I also hope my case still fits (as well as my awesome screen protector). Not a ton of money, but $70ish for the two nonetheless.
  • Reply 50 of 134
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

Apple hasn't marketed the increased storage capacity in the iPhone 4S. Additionally, the high resolution display will require high resolution graphics which will require more storage capacity.

I hope Apple releases a 128GB version, it would fit perfectly in-between my MacBook Air, with 256GB, and my iPhone 4S, with 64GB.

I thought the same thing but there seems to about 110MB average size increase between the non-HiDPI iPhone and Touch and HiDPI iPhones and Touch for iOS 5.1b3.

Even if we use a percentage and round up from about 13 to 15% we still only get about 850MB (rounded up) for the iPad 3 file size even rounding up. There is only about a 70MB difference between the file sizes of all current iPads and the iPhone 3GS and 3rd gen Touch.

However, Apple has been keeping the capacity of the iPad above the iPhone up until the 4S release.
  • Reply 51 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

I agree with everything else you mentioned in your post, but was wondering: If Tim Cook managed to finagle lower prices on other of the components (e.g. the various radio chips) through economies of scale, perhaps that could have off set the increased cost of the new display, especially if the difference is only $20? I'd imagine having done away with the two separate models for AT&T and Verizon would have saved a small bundle... guess we'll find out soon enough, counting my shekels now...

*sigh* Yeah, I'm sure Apple has covered all the bases. 8MP sensors are probably no biggie in 2012. It's how ~we~ are going to pay for the iPad 3 we should be worrying about. \
  • Reply 52 of 134
    Quote:

It seems everything you mentioned it possible though note that economies of scale will plateau and could possiblely become diseconomy of scale. I assume Apple won't be affected by the latter but they are in a tricky situation with pushing along with their current growth and hoping no other tablet or tablet OS platform can find a niche or potentially taking less now to get more in the future. Lots of numbers need to be crunched.

As for th $20 I just made that up as an example. I have no concept of what the new display will cost, if a much more expensive GPU will be needed, if it will require new, or more expensive battery tech t keep the size, weight and usage duration within certain parameters. The only think I am certain of is that the RAM will need to be increased to at least 1GB for a Retina Display.
  • Reply 53 of 134
    iPad 3 needs a killer forward-facing camera much more than it needs a better rear-facing one. A Retina display and a better forward-facing camera lens/sensor would be a real game changer. Right now, the Facetime camera is the real weak link.
  • Reply 54 of 134
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Huh? I can't understand why anyone would prefer the thicker & heavier iPad with the bulging backside over the lighter, svelte iPad 2. Can't wait to get my clammy little hands on the iPad 3 so I can fob off my iPad 3G.

everyone I know who has iPad 1 envies how thinner and lighter my iPad 2 is. To each his own I guess.
  • Reply 55 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

iPad 3 needs a killer forward-facing camera much more than it needs a better rear-facing one. A Retina display and a better forward-facing camera lens/sensor would be a real game changer. Right now, the Facetime camera is the real weak link.

The Macs have a FaceTime HD camera (720p30) but the iPhone 4S only has a VGA camera so I am not expecting one.
  • Reply 56 of 134
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Also of course to go with the Retina Displays ~ this, changes everything. Again.

Exactly, the camera HAS to be as good as possible to take advantage of the display.

To those who think it will be awkward using a tablet as a camera, consider that the screen will amplify attention to composition. All the nasty mistakes hiding in the corners or the background will be visible. You will pause to frame. You will pick up scraps of paper on the ground that would be ruining the shot. The heft and squareness of the tablet will help you to be steady. Your pictures and videos will be insanely greater.

It will be part of the reinvention of photography that Mr. Jobs was wanting to do. This will be clearer when the 3D iPad comes out later. Or maybe this time around? I don't think so, but soon.
  • Reply 57 of 134
    Can't wait.

I'll be getting me one of those...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 58 of 134
    Quote:

Does anyone think any of these common rumours from components to event date are not going to happen? If you don't think some aspect will happen what is your reasoning?

Just a little affair back in 2010-11 called iPhone 5 with a larger screen and redesigned case. Photos were leaked too all throughout the year leading up to the unveiling of the iPhone 4S with the same screen and case as the iPhone 4. Whatever those leaked pictures were, it did not come to pass.

Unless a prototype was stolen from a bar, I don't put any weight to common rumors. The unknown is the canvas upon which we project whatever we want to believe. There are just as many rumors about aliens and crashed saucers at "Area 51."

I'm more interested in what Tim and Phil will say come March 7. I hope it is as lofty and magical as the rumor mill has made it out to be, but I'm going to give Apple the benefit of the doubt. They deserve an open mind, not supply-chain-leak-fed-prejudiced mind.
  • Reply 59 of 134
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I took "tapered design" as a reference to the speculated MBA-style tapering of an iPhone 5 (thinner on the bottom and thicker on the top), not simply to a tapered edge around the device. But I see what you mean.

True, "taper" is the wrong word, which comes from the shape of a candle, thin on one end, thicker on the other.

The better word would be "beveled" or "chamfered" or just "rounded edges."
  • Reply 60 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Exactly, the camera HAS to be as good as possible to take advatage of the display.

I'm not getting your reasoning. The display will be about 3.2Mpx. Even if we adjust for aspect ratio differences between the display and camera going past 5Mpx for stills seems plenty. For video 1080p will be standard for some time. For the front facing camera 720p is the max Apple has across the Mac line a you need real time video to be smooth. I can see going better but not as good as possible but I'm not a camera guy so why am I missing?