Apple issues statement on iPhone 4 'antenna-gate' lawsuit settlement

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 120
    I use my phone without a case. Easier to hold and slide into the pocket. Looks sleek. Had my iPhone 4 since it came out. Got the case for free because it was free. I've never had any antenna problems. I believe most people use cases for protection. Most 3Gs and 3GSs I've seen over time were in cases too.
  • Reply 102 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We're not going over this again. When tens of millions of phones are still sold today with absolutely no design change and NONE of them are exhibiting this problem and NO ONE is actively complaining about it, it was NOT a problem with the phone. It was a problem with AT&T (and in Australia, in areas of equally poor service). Period.

Yep. Right. Funnily for me on two separate ip4 s and my brother in law's ip4 intermittent call drops went away after purchasing a case. Go figure. Must be my network. Oh wait my wife's N8 has no issues nor have any pther phnes our family or I have had. And this is not At&t...

Still the case didn't fix bluetooth dropping intermittently from my car kit and headset.
  • Reply 103 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Plenty of articles of Steve Jobs on stage completely decimating all the pathetic shortsighted lies RiM and Samsung spewed to try to get a leg up over the dominate iPhone. There are also plenty of independent tests that show that other phones single will weaken if you block the signal with your hand, including the link GatorGuy posted to AnandTech. And then there the physics of this universe regarding blocking a radio wave with a dense material. But you can ignore all that and take unsubstantiated comments from CEOs that should have just kept their mouth shut but instead were shown to be liars and fools. So far you haven't said enough to be shown to be anymore than the latter.

Nownow soli. I know you understand wireless well enough to know the difference between detuning (proven by many videos of a single finger touching a single point) an antenna and attenuating it. Two quite different topics. Steve just used the public's ignorance on the difference in his "decimations". For us that work in the radio world just saw him deflecting the issue. The real question should have been: is the ip4 still as sensitive or even more sensitive than competition AFTER being detuned. If he could have proven that, he would have been duly applauded instead of being called out by the press.

It was Kind of like saying that if he'd designed a gorgeous fuel pump in a car that doesn't pump gas while on a steep hill and the engine dies because of that. Then he'd compare toyota and mercedes and make a video proving that their engines die also if the gas tank is empty. Two different issues causing the same end result.
  • Reply 104 of 120
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

I use my phone without a case. Easier to hold and slide into the pocket. Looks sleek. Had my iPhone 4 since it came out. Got the case for free because it was free. I've never had any antenna problems. I believe most people use cases for protection. Most 3Gs and 3GSs I've seen over time were in cases too.

I owned three Bumpers (one was free from Apple) and they do take damage. One fall and the plastic can get scraped. Over time the rubber portion gets discoloured (bought white each time because I liked the two-tone look with my iPhone). I finally decided to give it a shot without it and I'm enjoying it more. I think I also drop it less. With the new AppleCare+ I'll definitely be buying that as insuracne for accidental damage.
  • Reply 105 of 120
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Nownow soli. I know you understand wireless well enough to know the difference between detuning (proven by many videos of a single finger touching a single point) an antenna and attenuating it. Two quite different topics. Steve just used the public's ignorance on the difference in his "decimations". For us that work in the radio world just saw him deflecting the issue. The real question should have been: is the ip4 still as sensitive or even more sensitive than competition AFTER being detuned. If he could have proven that, he would have been duly applauded instead of being called out by the press.

It was Kind of like saying that if he'd designed a gorgeous fuel pump in a car that doesn't pump gas while on a steep hill and the engine dies because of that. Then he'd compare toyota and mercedes and make a video proving that their engines die also if the gas tank is empty. Two different issues causing the same end result.

Detuning?

So how come my reception goes up when I touch the mythical, magical spot?

I think I got a magic touch

PS History showed the N8 to be one of the contributors of Nokia's downfall, failing dismally to live up to expectations in the market and driving even the most loyal Nokia users away with its poor performance.

The winners Apple and Samsung.
  • Reply 106 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Detuning?

I think I got a magic touch

PS History showed the N8 to be one of the contributors of Nokia's downfall, failing dismally to live up to expectations in the market and driving even the most loyal Nokia users away with its poor performance.

Oh wow. that was so cool and imaginative. Respect dude.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

Compare the case vs. no case and remember that 3dB is twice the energy.

You can also check it yourself with the cellular test display and the UMTS monitored set. It should be quite straightforward...
  • Reply 107 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You can't trust what Anandtech says about iPhone4 reception compared to others. Everyone knows they don't like Apple and diss their products whenever they have a chance to.

/s

Oh, that explains why Anand says he uses a MacBook Pro as his main machine.
  • Reply 108 of 120
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slig View Post

Oh, that explains why Anand says he uses a MacBook Pro as his main machine.

The /s tag at the end indicates sarcasm.
  • Reply 109 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Everybody already knows all of that.

Everybody has decided to ignore all of that.

Case closed.
  • Reply 110 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Detuning?

Likely you have a defective capacitor in the tuning circuit. Go to the Genius Bar and they will give you a new one for free.
  • Reply 111 of 120
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Everybody already knows all of that.

Everybody has decided to ignore all of that.

Case closed.

I didn't know that, and I certainly appreciate the post explaining it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a disingenuous poster or two already knew this, but I certainly wasn't aware.
  • Reply 112 of 120
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I don't recall ever seeing one without a case and I see them all the time on the subway and at work. I would be surprised if the more than 20% of US iPhone users don't use a case.

I'm appalled to see most of people here using iPhone 4 without a case. I don't know why. Maybe because I always thought stainless steel on the side is easily scrathced. For anntenna, the first thing I did when my wife got her iPhone is trying deadgrip. Too bad I didn't see the infamous signal dropping everyone talking about. And can't say my condo has good reception either.

Bought on November 2010 by the way.
  • Reply 113 of 120
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They had a standard 30 days to return it with no restocking fee or requirement to be held to their cellular contract if the device was unsuitable for them.

That is what I did. I had waited 4 hours in the AZ heat to get an IP4 when they first came out. Within minutes of getting the phone it started to drop calls. If i held it in my hand as I normally would it would loose service. It would go from 5 bars to1 then have "no service". I demonstrated this to several geniuses and 2 Apple store mangers. They all did not have an answer. They actually could reproduce the whole thing for themselves. BUT if they took the phone off of 3G down to EVDO then it worked perfectly! I asked them all that if the phone was replaced would the next one have the same issue? They all said "probably". The other fix was a bumper. But i do not use cases on my phones. So that was not a solution for me. Instead I returned it. Felt slighted by the whole "your holding it wrong" thing. This started my year long trek into Android phones. The list of Android phones I tried in 2011 was

Motorola Atrix (with lap-dock) HTC Evo, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Bionic, Samsung Nexus, iPhone 4s.

The 4s is the most complete blend of hardware and software i have used to date. So this was not an issue of trying to get a free bumper but one of I should not need a bumper to have a fully functional phone....

EDIT: Of all the phones I have had in the last 18 months only the IP4 would loose noticeable signal then loose service depending on how it was held.
  • Reply 114 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

EDIT: Of all the phones I have had in the last 18 months only the IP4 would loose noticeable signal then loose service depending on how it was held.

According to Steve, all cell phones have that exact same problem.
  • Reply 115 of 120
    Quote:

According to Steve, all cell phones have that exact same problem.

That might be correct...but what I said was "noticeable" signal loss that lead to loss of service.
  • Reply 116 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

That might be correct...but what I said was "noticeable" signal loss that lead to loss of service.

The iPhone 4 had the best signal strength in the industry in its day. Of course, the iPhone 4S has it beat, but tech marches on.
  • Reply 117 of 120
    Quote:

The iPhone 4 had the best signal strength in the industry in its day. Of course, the iPhone 4S has it beat, but tech marches on.

No doubt....my IP4s is the best phone i have owned so far! But to be honest the IP4 was the only phone of the 6 i had in 2011 that would lose noticeable signal and service depending on how it was held.
  • Reply 118 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

I actually doubt most people use a case. A large amount of people, sure, but certainly not most.

Anyone that doesn't use a case to protect a $200+ device from drops and other damage is an idiot.
  • Reply 119 of 120
    Quote:

Cool story bro, too bad it's not true.
  • Reply 120 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We're not going over this again. When tens of millions of phones are still sold today with absolutely no design change and NONE of them are exhibiting this problem and NO ONE is actively complaining about it, it was NOT a problem with the phone. It was a problem with AT&T (and in Australia, in areas of equally poor service). Period.

I have an iPhone4, on my second actually. Both have some issue with reception, it can be quite annoying, yes I get dropped calls or low reception.

If it is sitting all by itself, or in a car cradle, no issues. fantastic in fact. I am in Australia on Telstra and travel through LOTS of reception areas and it blows me away how receptive it is until I touch it.

I do not use a case and have smashed it twice, second so bad I got an out of warranty swap. I want to use a case but all the ones I have seen impede left/right swiping and get in the way of the extreme left and right keys of the keyboard.

Yes I see it as a design flaw, one of two actually. The other is the freakin gorilla glass, so hard you can't scratch it, but watch it shatter. My observations so far suggest that it is a combination of the glass and the stainless steel band transfering shock through to it, especially from the bottom corner to the home button. I still also have issues with the proximity sensor not registering.

The IPhone 4 design always struck me as being like the Mac Cube, incredible but educational for Apple. It will turn into the mac mini and rock.

I am just waiting patiently for the iPhone 2012. Yes, I will get it even if it holds the design. I need a good flashlight with sms and synced contacts.