Alleged 'iPad 3' photos showcase larger camera, tapered case

Comments

• Reply 61 of 134
    I'm for better cameras front and rear. I don't have a smart phone.

Faster processors are always good to have. If the iPad 2's processor were compared to a desktop or netbook processor, which would it be closest to in performance? I have an older 1.8 GHz Intel Celeron with just 256 MB RAM running Windows XP. The iPad is probably as fast as that right now.

Apple should add a card reader to the iPads and just have one size fits all with the option to have connectivity to cell networks. It would make their supply line so much simpler. It might even give more space inside for the battery. They could drop the high capacity models and sell more iPads.

I've seen proof that dropping the price of a high priced product significantly will triple sales. Overall that means more profit with more people using the product. Doing this isn't a race to the bottom. It is about market penetration. All companies want as much of that as possible. Apple already dominates but could do even better.
  • Reply 62 of 134
    The question for me is "how do i use my iPad?" At home, traveling and on the go and increasingly for work.

Siri? Am I really going to hold up this tablet and talk to it like I do my iphone 4s? Probably not, I'm going to my iPhone. Its not in my pocket and as accessible as my iphone. Plus Siri is so hit and miss with its voice to text translation, its just not a deal breaker until the technology improves...and it will. For people without an iPhone 4s it might be a nice addition if you're looking at iPad.

Better camera? If I want to take quick pics on the move, I use my iPhone which has a good and very easy camera-like picture taking style. It is also imy pocket all the time so is super accessible unlike ipad which takes up a hand to hold it or you keep in a bag therfore not as accessible. Ipad trying to compete with iphone for photos is a losing battle. Its about accessibility, that why pocket camera sales are dwindling. If I'm at home then I'm going to use my DSLR and if I'm out and I have my DSLR then I'll use that. A really good camera on an iPad is not a deal breaker either, it's about accessibility. And most people have a decent smart phone with decent camera now, so why start using iPad camera?

Better resolution? Yeah that will be pretty nice but my iPad 2 is very good for movies, reading and surfing. Im not a big gamer so maybe this will be the place this feature will win. There is a trade off between movie size to match the screen res versus the memory of the device. So right now the rip quality for my movies versus my iPad 2 is perfect my my iPhone, HD tv and iPad. So a super high res screen? Another non deal breaker for me. As I said for gaming, maybe it will be a winner.

And a better chip? That would, be nice. iPhone 4 to 4s was good but not like VHS to DVD. Am I going to rush out and spend $899 (cause you have to have the best, right), no I am not.

So apart from having to have the newest Apple toy in my pocession, the rumored features coming are not ground breaking (based on MY usage) so why would I buy a new iPad?

How do you use your iPads?
  • Reply 63 of 134
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Faster processors are always good to have. If the iPad 2's processor were compared to a desktop or netbook processor, which would it be closest to in performance? I have an older 1.8 GHz Intel Celeron with just 256 MB RAM running Windows XP. The iPad is probably as fast as that right now.

A rough geustimate, but Medfeild is within 10% of the performance of laptop single core Atom chips, and it comes out ahead of dual core Cortex A9's which the iPad uses. So its still behind an Atom in performance, which is probably pretty close to your 1.8GHz Celeron.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5365/i...or-smartphones
  • Reply 64 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bouncerman View Post

Better resolution? Yeah that will be pretty nice but my iPad 2 is very good for movies, reading and surfing. Im not a big gamer so maybe this will be the place this feature will win. There is a trade off between movie size to match the screen res versus the memory of the device. So right now the rip quality for my movies versus my iPad 2 is perfect my my iPhone, HD tv and iPad. So a super high res screen? Another non deal breaker for me. As I said for gaming, maybe it will be a winner.

I think you have this point backwards. For gaming it will probably be best to downgrade to a lower resolution put for better frame rates, but for HD movies it'll be better and for reading (anything) it will blow you away. Consider the difference between the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 displays when it came to crisp and clear text. I couldn't go back after I saw the Retina Display.
  • Reply 65 of 134
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:

As I said for gaming, maybe it will be a winner.

The iPhone 4 almost uniformly performed lower than the 3GS in GPU benchmarks despite faster hardware, and it was because the GPU had to put up with so many more pixels. I think its pretty certain the iPad 3 will have a better GPU to cope unlike the 3GS-4, but the improvement won't be as much as it would have been if they stayed with the same resolution, since again its putting up with way more pixels, and in this case more pixels than even 150+ watt desktop GPUs have to handle. So the resolution alone isn't great for gamers, but rather everything else will benefit more than games.

• Reply 66 of 134
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:

How do you use your iPads?

iPad breaks so many new grounds, I would characterize it as a sapient tautology. 9,7 inches diagonal Swing-wing geometry to do what needs to be done, ...undo what needs to be undone. Growing in sapience as it grows in salience; growing in salience as it grows in sapience. You make do with what you have now, just as you would with ...what you would then.
  • Reply 67 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Funny, I still think the original iPad case was a classier design. The iPad2 felt a bit cheaper.

Either way, I'm, surprised they haven't included the metal volume buttons introduced on the iPhone 4.

Dunno about design, but my arm gets tired holding my iPad1 up to read in the bathtub. Yeah, I know, risky business.
  • Reply 68 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Dunno about design, but my arm gets tired holding my iPad1 up to read in the bathtub. Yeah, I know, risky business.

They make waterproof cases or you could just use a Ziploc bag.
  • Reply 69 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Does anyone think any of these common rumours from components to event date are not going to happen? If you don't think some aspect will happen what is your reasoning?

I think the rumors are generally true. It's the details that might not be.

For example.

Rumor has it that the iPad 3 will have a better camera. I think this is a given and thus true.

But will it be an 8MP with 1080p video, a flash etc. Perhaps, perhaps not. It all depends on the pricing and quality difference between that camera and say a 5MP with the same add ons. If the quality difference is scant but the price is not then I could see this time being lower on the MPs. After all, how many people are expected to use the iPad as a camera the way that a handheld item like the iPhone could be used. Probably not that many. The cameras are there mainly to support things like FaceTime.

do I believe that the iPad 3 could get a better processor and more RAM. Sure. Will it be a quad core with 1GB. perhaps not.

Do I believe that the iPad 3 could get a better display. Sure. But what about it will be better. Will it be the resolution, the backlight or perhaps both. Will it be a 'retina' in the sense of going up to 300+dpi, possibly not. Will that matter, perhaps not. Many folks will be fine with a display that can playback a 1080p video and have a backlight that makes outdoor use feasible in place of a display that has a vert of 1600p (only really the super geeks that live and die by fancy specs are going to care about that one)

And so on.

By the same token there are rumors that the Apple TV is going to revamp with the iPad 3 thus all the shortage talk. I think this is true. BUT will it be a 'real' tv. No, I don't think so at this time. Well in true I think never on that one but I admit that I could be wrong on that point and Apple might be going such a way. However I think that if they are, they will say that release until closer to the holidays since a new TV for the family is the type of thing folks are known to buy at that time.
  • Reply 70 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

perhaps having a 4S in my pocket at the time and PhotoStream means it's pretty pointless now(?)

Agreed. The iPhone is much easier to hold stable for photo work.

That said, I wish they would add a way to either transfer photos via bluetooth or create an adhoc wifi connection for such transfers. Because many of my fav photo and video apps are much easier to use on the iPad but the camera on my 4s are so much better. And I often forget to put my camera connector kit in my bag.
  • Reply 71 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

while I envision using the iPad's camera primarily when I need to take a photo while using the iPad.

The only person I know that uses the iPad cameras on a regular basis is my step brother and that's when he can get on the rec center's wifi to FaceTime our little brother's soccer games to me (I'm in Cali and they are in New York). If he can't get on wifi he borrows his dad's iPhone to film the games and then sends it to me (generally edited, the kid is a 13 year old iMovie master. lol)
  • Reply 72 of 134
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    What's the deal with the black strip we keep seeing across the top of these iPad 3 shots? ...and the iPad 2 shot in this article, for that matter.
  • Reply 73 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I think the rumors are generally true. It's the details that might not be.

For example.

Rumor has it that the iPad 3 will have a better camera. I think this is a given and thus true.

But will it be an 8MP with 1080p video, a flash etc. Perhaps, perhaps not. It all depends on the pricing and quality difference between that camera and say a 5MP with the same add ons. If the quality difference is scant but the price is not then I could see this time being lower on the MPs. After all, how many people are expected to use the iPad as a camera the way that a handheld item like the iPhone could be used. Probably not that many. The cameras are there mainly to support things like FaceTime.

Goog points but Apple would also consider the future releases in their specs. For example, the first iPad has no camera, the 2nd iPad has a 0.9Mpx still/ 720p30 video camera. If the 3rd generation jumps not to 2.1Mpx still/1080p30 video (which I think makes sense) but instead matches the iPhone 4S in the camera quality then what does that leave for the following years? I'd think that going with 5Mpx still/1080p30 would be a large enough jump.

PS: I don't use the camera so I'm not sure if it changed with iOS 5.0 but in 4.x the camera button was on the button in the center despite the use holding it most likely on the sides. Did they fix this usability oversight?

Quote:

do I believe that the iPad 3 could get a better processor and more RAM. Sure. Will it be a quad core with 1GB. perhaps not.

If it's the HiDPI display then I think 1GB is required.

Quote:

Will it be a 'retina' in the sense of going up to 300+dpi, possibly not.

300 PPI was presented on a slide behind Jobs as a very basic measure that was only relevant to a phone. At 265 PPI a 10" tablet can be marketed as Retina Display for those with 20/20 vision (or worse) at 13" away from the eyes.

Quote:

By the same token there are rumors that the Apple TV is going to revamp with the iPad 3 thus all the shortage talk. I think this is true. BUT will it be a 'real' tv. No, I don't think so at this time. Well in true I think never on that one but I admit that I could be wrong on that point and Apple might be going such a way. However I think that if they are, they will say that release until closer to the holidays since a new TV for the family is the type of thing folks are known to buy at that time.

I'm thinking an updated iPod Touch (maybe a larger display Touch), a 1080p AppleTV (along with other HW changes), 1080p content in iTunes Store, and the iPad 3 at the end.
  • Reply 74 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

What's the deal with the black strip we keep seeing across the top of these iPad 3 shots? ...and the iPad 2 shot in this article, for that matter.

3G… (Filler…)
  • Reply 75 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

That's the radio transparent plastic strip for the models with cellular connectivity. The WiFi antenna is behind the Apple symbol on the back panel.
  • Reply 76 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Under no circumstances was Apple ever interested in LG or Samsung high-resolution screens that would have required a second backlight.

Was it Steve or Jonny that told you that.

Thought so.

We don't KNOW what Apple has been or is interested in. We KNOW only what they released.
  • Reply 77 of 134
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The iPad 3 will include this:

New, improved camera, both front & back.

Slightly larger battery.

Either new Dual Core CPU or Quad Core CPU. I don't really care which one, as they both will represent an improvement in speed. The GPU will also be improved obviously.

1 GB of RAM.

The Hi-Res retina display of course.

LTE/3G in certain models. I'll be getting the WIFI model as I don't really give a crap about LTE and I refuse to be ripped off by greedy and overpriced telecom companies.

SIRI. Apple will be including the same noise cancellation tech which is on the iPhone 4S and they will include it with the iPad 3.

iOS 5.1.

128 Gb in the highest model.

Simply put, the iPad 3 is going to be freaking irresistible! It's going to be a marvel of tech, unlike anything else seen before.
  • Reply 78 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Unless a prototype was stolen from a bar,

Can't really trust that either since it wouldn't be that hard to trump up a rumor that you had a prototype

Quote:

I'm more interested in what Tim and Phil will say come March 7.

Another alleged 'fact' that is in fact not at this point.
  • Reply 79 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I hope the iPad 3 will include this:

fixed it for ya
  • Reply 80 of 134
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

fixed it for ya

Yep, those are my predictions.