'A5X' CPU featured on purported Apple 'iPad 3' logic board

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

A picture that appears to show the logic board for Apple's next-generation iPad shows a system-on-a-chip labeled "A5X" rather than the "A6" processor that has been rumored.

If accurate, the name "A5X" could suggest the next iPad's custom processor is a more powerful version of the existing A5 CPU found in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, rather than an overhauled next-generation "A6" processor. The picture of a purported iPad 3 logic board was first revealed at WeiPhone (via MacRumors).

The board indicates the A5X chip was manufactured in November of 2011. It also includes 16 gigabytes of flash memory from Hynix.

Apple first began utilizing its own custom chips with the first-generation iPad in 2010. The A4 CPU then appeared later that year in the iPhone 4.

The strategy continued in 2011, when the iPad 2 was introduced with the A5 CPU debuting in the iPad 2, sporting a dual-core design and faster graphics processing. The A5 eventually came to the iPhone 4S in late 2011.

But the leaked logic board suggests that for the third-generation iPad, Apple will instead use the name A5X. That could support a rumor from earlier this month that claimed the custom processor to be found in the next iPad will still be a dual-core model, not quad core as had been rumored, though it was said it will feature a "significantly more powerful" graphics processor.

Purported "iPad 3" parts continue to appear as time ticks down to an anticipated March 7 unveiling of the next-generation touchscreen tablet. Other recent leaks include the external case design, and even a microscope-enhanced look at an alleged third-generation iPad LCD screen, offering further evidence that the device will feature a high-resolution Retina Display.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) It looks legit, even if just a prototype, but we haven't seen a metal heatsink over the CPU PoP before.

2) The 'X' does make some sense. There is a tricky release for ARM chips over the next year. Right now quad-core Cortex-A9s are ramping up but by the time the next iPhone is out dual-core Cortex-A15 will be ramping up with quad-core Cortex-A15s supposedly coming about this time next year right in time for the iPad 4. All that makes me think this 'X" means that this will be an A5 with 2x in the number of CPU cores, number of GPU cores and amount of RAM. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad 4 comes with an A6X still using a quad-core GPU and having 1GB RAM so this X would really either be for the CPU cores doubling or just a way for Apple to separate the iPad and iPhone A-chips.
  • Reply 2 of 146
    I bet the A5X is a TSMC part on their 28mn processes
  • Reply 3 of 146
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    : (

• Reply 4 of 146
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Normally parts leaked showing an X are prototype parts. It could be that this is just a prototype part that will not be in the production model. We will soon find out as March approaches.
  • Reply 5 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't get hung up on nomenclature. It's what it can do that's important.
  • Reply 6 of 146
    Is this for the iPad2S and the iPad3HD will be something different? Ha..!!
  • Reply 7 of 146
    well all we know is that its going to be faster and graphics are to be alot better so it doesn't matter what it is with the retina alone it has to be more powerful
  • Reply 8 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Don't get hung up on nomenclature. It's what it can do that's important.

The way I see it this particular nomenclature means it's not quad core:

• Reply 9 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ko024 View Post

Is this for the iPad2S and the iPad3HD will be something different? Ha..!!

As in the "iPad 2 Screen" :P
  • Reply 10 of 146
    Quote:

The way I see it this particular nomenclature means it's not quad core:

Being quad-core or not quad-core doesn't matter. Note that the first Cortex-A15's will smoke Cortex-A9 yet will only be dual-core. But all that's beside the point but there is no evidence to support this is not quad-core Cortex-A9 so don't get all frowny face over something that isn't substantiated.

Now let's talk about it being a dual-core Cortex-A9 and not quad-core. Quantify the very specific ways it would ruin your iPad experience. Note that I'm asking you something impossible to answer, hence you should only react to actual shortcomings that are quantifiable, not mythical.
  • Reply 11 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Being quad-core or not quad-core doesn't matter.

I matters to me. When you're on iOS 7 it will matter. It matters.

But as I sold my iPad 2 so I have no choice, but I won't say I'm not : ( when I am. Hope it's quad core.
  • Reply 12 of 146
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    As long as it has 1GB of RAM I'm happy.
  • Reply 13 of 146
    Quote:

I matters to me. When you're on iOS 7 it will matter. It matters.

You keep making stuff mythical scenarios the can't be backed up. So in your mind the dual-core Cortex-A15 running at 1.5GHz will be worse than a quad-core Cortex-A9 running at 800MHz simply because you've decided to focus only on one aspect and then hold it up as being the only thing that has ever mattered.. right now. That's not healthy. It leads to you disappointed for foolish reasons and not being objective.

Quote:

Hope it's quad core.

Me too, along with many other HW upgrades.
  • Reply 14 of 146
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

As long as it has 1GB of RAM I'm happy.

Doubt that it will. More likely to retain the 512mb ram and add some VRAM. It's not like the iPad 2 ever gets sluggish, regardless of the number of apps you have running.
  • Reply 15 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A picture that appears to show the logic board for Apple's next-generation iPad shows a system-on-a-chip labeled "A5X" rather than the "A6" processor that has been rumored.

No no no. The new iPad 3 will have a multi-core chip and a high res display. Apple never disappoints.
  • Reply 16 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Doubt that it will. More likely to retain the 512mb ram and add some VRAM. It's not like the iPad 2 ever gets sluggish, regardless of the number of apps you have running.

I don't think the iPad uses VRAM, but DRAM. Since the IGP needs to allocate RAM from the system RAM I'd think 512MB would be too little for pushing 4x as many pixels.
  • Reply 17 of 146
    Let the wailing of the spec whores begin.
  • Reply 18 of 146
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    So, the iPad 2X (for 2x linear increase in resolution) will have a pentacore chip.
  • Reply 19 of 146
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

It's not like the iPad 2 ever gets sluggish, regardless of the number of apps you have running.

Oh yes it does! All the time!
  • Reply 20 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

So, the iPad 2X (for 2x linear increase in resolution) will have a pentacore chip.

Dammit! Now if it's only quad-core I'll have to be disappointed.