Apple ends physical media OS distribution with Mountain Lion

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    Thanks to your clear and concise answer I now have a much better understanding on why people do this and the need for LTE. Thank you!
  • Reply 102 of 110
    i think it's complete BS that you can only get newer OS's via app store. i'm running 10.5.8 and i have no way to upgrade. i don't get it, surely i'm not the only one left out to rot. maybe i'm not on top of things is there another way besides the USB crap which are hard to come by

can anyone help?
  • Reply 103 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burningwheel2 View Post

i think it's complete BS that you can only get newer OS's via app store.

Discs are dead. Get used to that.

Quote:

i'm running 10.5.8 and i have no way to upgrade.

Uh? buy Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 104 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Discs are dead. Get used to that.

Uh? buy Snow Leopard.

i realize discs are dead, i don't have a problem with that but i want to skip snow leopard if possible
  • Reply 105 of 110
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burningwheel2 View Post

i realize discs are dead, i don't have a problem with that but i want to skip snow leopard if possible

If you want to make it difficult just so you don't have to install SL there are plenty of methods... Create solutions, not problems.
  • Reply 106 of 110
    Amira Foods ? One of the largest privately owned Rice Company from India. Amira is one of the largest manufacturers.

http://www.amiragroup.co.in
  • Reply 107 of 110

All of you that think you are somehow better than the rest of us because you have broadband, need to understand a few things. First, it is NOT our choice to have limited options. I'm happy you are fortunate to have broadband where you live, really. It amazes me how many people don't realize the vast areas of the U.S. that do NOT have broadband options. Where we live, ATT won't run DSL, even though they have taken millions of dollars of gov't money to provide it. We have no cable internet option for the same reason. So, we have one choice, dial up. That's it. We don't live in the sticks, it's a rather large area with a population of over 30,000. I did look into the Hughes Dish internet, but for dial up speeds it costs over $129. a month! And, the limits are so bad, there is no way to download 1 software without violating the monthly limit. 

Oh, and the closest Apple Store is just over 2 and 1/2 hours away. Yes, surprise, surprise, Apple DOESN'T have as many of their stores throughout the country as you might expect. And, before you ask, we do have 3 fairly new Apple computers in the house. And for the self righteous idiot that said there is no modem port on new Macs, have you ever heard of a USB to phone jack modem dongle? That's what we have to use here. 

The next time you think there is no need for Apple to sell software on CDs or thumbdrives, THINK AGAIN!

• Reply 108 of 110
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    I would reply but you won't be able to read the message until next week.
  • Reply 109 of 110
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

People who are too cheap to pay for $29 upgrades is why I am sort of sad to see Apple going mass market, let alone do any research about things they complain about. Last I heard, Apple is giving away Snow Leopard for free. You would still have to pay $29 for a Lion Family Pack, which I hope isn't too inconvenient for you. If you have some arbitrary, self-derived reason to want to skip Snow Leopard altogether, even if it's just to upgrade, sell your Mac, which should still have decent resale value, and buy a refurb running Lion.
  • Reply 110 of 110
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

There's no reason not to want to be frugal. And it's a simpler process to install Lion directly than to go through Snow Leopard, so I see some merit in what they're saying.

In the rare case of still having dial-up, however, physical media is an unfortunate necessity.