new iMacs?

2»

Comments

  • lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,102member
    If you can get a top of the line i7, 27 inch iMac with 6970m gpu (damn fine gpu) with a damn good discount, get one.



    Ivy isn't that much faster. Nominally faster. Runs cooler.



    The only way I'd hold on that...what be to see what gpu they put in the next high end iMac. And who knows.



    Maybe Apple will surprise us with retina monitors? :O



    Well...you never know...it may be the year of the retina...



    I was in a similar situation. I wanted a new imac back a few years. But instead of getting the top of the line which was newly released I bought the last year's top of the line on sale.



    Got a couple of hundred off it. And £300 off due to the fact that Apple raised the price of the 4850 top end iMac they released back then. About £500 saved. Put that in dollars and you had quite a saving!!! I did want quad core and the 4850 but not at £500 more! The saving you make can always be passed onto the next machine or you can ebay the one you buy if you're desperate for one now.



    You've probably got another couple of months to wait and you'll get more sale prices on the current line anyhow.



    Depends on whether you want a computer 'right now' or can wait for the new line in what is probably going to be a mid to late spring release.



    Lemon Bon Bon.
  • hmmhmm Posts: 3,368member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post


    Maybe Apple will surprise us with retina monitors? :O




    Look up Barco. Their stuff is about as close as you'll get to retina at the moment. NEC has a couple higher density panels too. I don't expect anything to trickle into the consumer end before 2015-2016, especially as Apple uses the same panels as everyone else. If we see anything retina branded before then, it will most likely be this.







    I like that photo far too much.
  • kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 871member
    I'm waiting - still. Have been thinking about replacing a G5 iMac (bought the day the G5 was announced), but other things seem to get in the way.



    Right now my thinking is that the upcoming version will be more accommodating for Mountain Lion so it is worth the wait. I haven't a clue what "accommodating" actually means when it comes to the iMac and OS X upgrades, but it will be interesting to see.



    As for the G5 iMac - it still does a good job in a few areas, like internet and kids stuff so it's heading to the grandkids as soon as the new one is received.
  • wizard69wizard69 Posts: 11,771member
    External monitors can be had cheap. So you aren't out of a lot of money no matter what you do with it. An alternative is to use a TV that has a computer input port, the quality isn't great but the hardware is very useful.



    A spare computer power supply is always useful for a laptop, so one purchased now will be useful in the future.



    The laptops might take longer than desired to rev. It is a manner of which rumor you want to put faith in. That being said I'm kinda expecting an iMac rev before the laptops rev. Then again rumors are that Intel is being a bitch with Ivy Bridge.



    Frankly I'd keep the current machine running until the end of April. Hopefully the desktops will have revved by then.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShouldIwait View Post


    My macbook 13inch got squashed on a plane ride and now the screen has a line down the middle (screen damage). It is a 2009 and I do video editing for a sport just for fun and as well as my career/looking for sponsors. My tour doesn't start until May/June but I would like to find some sponsors before then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6SAolSdIOI



    My computer charger stopped working as well so I have to use my roommates whenever he isn't...

    -Basically my computer isn't holding up and is difficult to work with final cut pro.



    I originally was going to get a refurbished 27 imac for 1400$ and work with that until the new stuff comes out. I wasn't sure how much I could re sale that thing for? Thoughts?



    I don't think they will come out with the new imacs anytime very soon because on the site it still says introducing the NEW imacs even though they have been out for about a year now. I figured they would wait until they release the mountain lion.



    I also travel a lot so eventually would get one of the new mac books.



    As of right now I'm not sure what I should do!! It drives me crazy that I can't edit anything right now without being frustrated on the screen as well as no charger.



    Any thoughts on what I should do or what you would do???

    Thanks guys if you could give me some input and thoughts of when they would come out...



  • wizard69wizard69 Posts: 11,771member
    Of course there are as always specific enhancements to the CPU that might look really good, but most sources are reporting at best 8-10% faster CPU.



    The real mystery is the GPU which is where almost all of the extra transistors went in Ivy Bridge. The potential is much better performance. There is also a real possibility that Apple will use every drop of that GPU improvement to drive high resolution screens yielding little if any real,world gains. It is pretty much wait and see with respect to GPU performance.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post


    If you can get a top of the line i7, 27 inch iMac with 6970m gpu (damn fine gpu) with a damn good discount, get one.



    Ivy isn't that much faster. Nominally faster. Runs cooler.



    The only way I'd hold on that...what be to see what gpu they put in the next high end iMac. And who knows.



    Maybe Apple will surprise us with retina monitors? :O



    Well...you never know...it may be the year of the retina...



    I was in a similar situation. I wanted a new imac back a few years. But instead of getting the top of the line which was newly released I bought the last year's top of the line on sale.



    Got a couple of hundred off it. And £300 off due to the fact that Apple raised the price of the 4850 top end iMac they released back then. About £500 saved. Put that in dollars and you had quite a saving!!! I did want quad core and the 4850 but not at £500 more! The saving you make can always be passed onto the next machine or you can ebay the one you buy if you're desperate for one now.



    You've probably got another couple of months to wait and you'll get more sale prices on the current line anyhow.



    Depends on whether you want a computer 'right now' or can wait for the new line in what is probably going to be a mid to late spring release.



    Lemon Bon Bon.



  • lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,102member
    If we get resolution boost 'eating up' gpu gains, I'd probably be ok with that. (Apple have been guilty of 'side grades' on iMac gpus before...)



    Better display and denser resolutions have been stagnant for a while now.



    Hopefully the iPad3 will spear head any such 'retina' progress onto Macs...eventually.



    Lemon Bon Bon.
  • tipootipoo Posts: 577member
    Yeah, Ivy Bridge on the CPU side is mostly power per watt enhancements, with overall performance increases not likely to exceed 15%. However the GPU portion may go up as much as 60%:



    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4763/i...tter-quicksync



    Good for the Air. I hope if they ditch the optical drive in the 13'' Pro they go with a discreet GPU anyways though, that frees up space for better cooling and so a higher TDP, and a slightly higher capacity battery if they flatten but spread it like they did with the Air. Hopefully with that the 13" can actually earn the Pro moniker with quad core and dGPUs.
  • rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    I too am waiting for the Ivy Bridge iMacs but the hardware really isn't due until around the April time frame. I'd rather see the DVD drive get jettisoned and those funds applied to decent (read minimum 64GB of NAND SSD) SSD onboard along to the 1TB hard drive.



    64 GB is awfully small to install the OS, Apps & such on it with the home folder on a rotating drive. You would want the Apps on the SSD for performance drives.



    I would just as soon that Apple not do this as I would have to take out the parts I don't want, but paid for, especially seeing that Apple way overprices their SSD option and it is not as good a drive as a less expensive one available from OWC, among others. You can do it with the current iMac & MBP simply by pulling the optical drive and using the space for a SSD.



    If you doubt that Apple is engaged in price gouging for drives, just look at what a 2 TB drive for the iMac costs if you have to replace it (because it is an Apple proprietary sensor for the cooling system brought on by Apple's attempts to deal with poor thermal design of the iMac...let's hope the Ivy Bridge processors will help out in this regard. (Hint: it's close to $300 for a plain vanilla 2 TB drive which is way overpriced even in the post Thailand flood environment.)
Sign In or Register to comment.