Suppliers gearing up for Apple's launch of new MacBook Air models

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Apple's overseas supply chain is said to be anticipating the debut of a refreshed MacBook Air lineup, which was last updated in July of 2011.

The anticipated MacBook Air update was mentioned by DigiTimes, which said that assembler Quanta Computer is expected to see its revenues grow thanks to the new product launch. It was said that Apple is "set to launch a new MacBook Air model," but a specific timeline for its release was not given.

Apple's next MacBook Air lineup is expected to sport Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge processors. Leaked documents from Intel shows that its "Ultra" U-Series Processors will have a TDP of just 17 watts, and will run at clock speeds of 2GHz and 1.8GHz.

There have also been numerous reports that Apple is planning to expand its MacBook Air lineup with a new 15-inch model, joining the existing 13.3-inch and 11.6-inch screen sizes available. More options in its ultraportable category could help Apple ward off growing competition from Windows-based "Ultrabooks," which mimic the thin-and-light design of the MacBook Air.

Apple most recently updated its MacBook Air lineup last July, when it added high-speed Thunderbolt ports and backlit keyboards to both the 11.6- and 13.3-inch models. The MacBook Air starts at $999, and replaced Apple's now-defunct white polycarbonate MacBook at that price point.

The success of the MacBook Air since it was redesigned in late 2010 has inspired Apple to revamp its entire notebook lineup this year. New MacBook Pro models from Apple are expected to have a radically redesigned exterior that will share many traits with the MacBook Air.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    So it looks like a low profile role out then? No big show and tell. My hope is there will be 1+ TB solid state drives at affordable prices in the near future, at least in Apple equipment even if in nothing else. That's when MBP's days are numbered.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Lots of updates due soon... I think the Macs are waiting on Intel. iPad will be first.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Ethernet port, please.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Looking at those images in the title post reminded me of the thread I started on here in which I submitted (along with a crude mockup) that I had fixed Apple's MacBook Air by getting rid of the "hatch-port-door" and replacing it with a design where the ports were flat along the side. So pretty much everyone laughed at me and told me it was the worst idea ever, but when the new MacBook Airs were released I was proved right. Was 100% vindication for my idea.

I'm not a genius. That's not what I'm claiming at all. I'm not gloating either. It was just nice knowing that my theory was correct, is all; especially considering the unwarranted abuse and mockery I received from some of the insecure fanboys on this forum.

Think different, bitches.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Ethernet port, please.

I remember those ...
  • Reply 6 of 45
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Quote:

Ethernet port, please.

If you have a MBA and often find you need an ethernet port, I can understand your criticism.

If you don't yet have a MBA and think you will often need one, you may find you don't. When I got my MBA, I bought the USB-ethernet adapter at the same time. When the adapter remained in the package for a few months, I got rid of it. I like the current arrangement that keeps the MBA nice and light and small and elegant. The USB-ethernet adapter ought to be fine for people who need to get wired in, I suspect the majority of owners never need to.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Looking at those images in the title post reminded me of the thread I started on here in which I submitted (along with a crude mockup) that I had fixed Apple's MacBook Air by getting rid of the "hatch-port-door" and replacing it with a design where the ports were flat along the side. So pretty much everyone laughed at me and told me it was the worst idea ever, but when the new MacBook Airs were released I was proved right. Was 100% vindication for my idea.

I'm not a genius. That's not what I'm claiming at all. I'm not gloating either. It was just nice knowing that my theory was correct, is all; especially considering the unwarranted abuse and mockery I received from some of the insecure fanboys on this forum.

Think different, bitches.

Hey I can top that ...For gloating ... I was berated by a certain Global Mod on AI a decade ago for an anti Microsoft comment. He then went on to remark to someone that agreed with him that this Digitalclips guy had a problem (his words were stronger) and wished people would get off thinking Apple had a snowball's chance in hell of ever competing against Microsoft and should just be happy being a niche player.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple should release a 400 to 600 g MacBook Air, as small as possible. Because here the number one priority is mobility, for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket. Always. For power, just get a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:

Ethernet port, please.

I seriously doubt they will include Ethernet port.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:

Ethernet port, please.

And while they're at it, how about adding a floppy drive.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So it looks like a low profile role out then? No big show and tell. My hope is there will be 1+ TB solid state drives at affordable prices in the near future, at least in Apple equipment even if in nothing else. That's when MBP's days are numbered.

Keio University and Toshiba claim to have developed a technology that allows for SSDs with a capacity of 1TB to be made "with a footprint no larger than a postage stamp." Toshiba expects to be able to produce a proof of concept version in 2012.

Hopefully as Apple sources some of its NAND flash memory chips from Toshiba, Apple maybe able to provide Macs with 1TB SSDs in the near future.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Presumably if the iPhone updates move to Sept/Oct they will need something else big to announce at WWDC in June this year. Could be the new design MBP & MBA.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple should release a 400 to 600 g MacBook Air, as small as possible. Because here the number one priority is mobility, for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket. Always. For power, just get a MacBook Pro.

It's called an iPhone, zunx.

Develop your presentation on your iPad or MacBook Pro. Sync it to iCloud. You're iPhone's in your pocket; take it out. Open Keynote on your phone. VoilÃ*. Give your presentation right from your phone. Keynote even gives you a laser pointer. I've done it; it's amazing.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

A 480GB SSD chip upgrade for the air is $1079 at OWC. The Macbook Pro should be safe for a while.

Apologies to those who are uncomfortable with the word "pro" in their iProducts.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

Keio University and Toshiba claim to have developed a technology that allows for SSDs with a capacity of 1TB to be made "with a footprint no larger than a postage stamp." Toshiba expects to be able to produce a proof of concept version in 2012.

Hopefully as Apple sources some of its NAND flash memory chips from Toshiba, Apple maybe able to provide Macs with 1TB SSDs in the near future.

Very interesting but I shudder to think how much it would cost. Let's hope SSD prices finally start to fall this year as more people use them.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

If you have a MBA and often find you need an ethernet port, I can understand your criticism.

If you don't yet have a MBA and think you will often need one, you may find you don't. When I got my MBA, I bought the USB-ethernet adapter at the same time. When the adapter remained in the package for a few months, I got rid of it. I like the current arrangement that keeps the MBA nice and light and small and elegant. The USB-ethernet adapter ought to be fine for people who need to get wired in, I suspect the majority of owners never need to.

I don't think they need a dedicated ethernet. But when traveling there are still some hotels that have it in the rooms, so I just pack the adaptor. No big deal. It's small. Just pack it and the charger, etc.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

Wow! What is the power consumption like of these things I wonder ... you could get a load of them in at that size ... now we need ZFS more than ever.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    There's no sign at present of high capacity SSDs coming down in price. A 500GB SSD still runs $800-1000 or more.

Re ethernet ports, that's not likely to happen on the Air format laptops. Very good speed can now be had via WiFi, with the (expensive) higher speed alternative being via Thunderbolt to an Apple monitor, which effectively serves as a dock. It's worth noting that the USB-ethernet adapter is slower than WiFi.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    I need the IR sensor for the remote back, b/c I use it to teach EVERYDAY. I hate packing around my Logitech presenter with the hugh dongle that sticks out on the side of my 11" MBA.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    IR is horribly unreliable for presentations. Why not just get a Bluetooth presentation remote? No dongle needed then.