Suppliers gearing up for Apple's launch of new MacBook Air models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow! What is the power consumption like of these things I wonder ... you could get a load of them in at that size ... now we need ZFS more than ever.

Toshiba claims that the 90 per cent reduction in size has resulted in a 70 per cent reduction in energy consumption and an unspecified reduction in manufacturing costs compared to a standard 2.5-inch HDD. Toshiba also claims to have made it operational with transfer rates of 2 Gbp/s with data transfer that relies on short-range, electromagnetic communication.

Although Toshiba doesn't specify the rotation frequency of the 2.5-inch HDD it uses for comparison, according to Web-Feet Research, 5400 rpm 2.5-inch HDDs typically consume 2.0W during read and 1.8W during write operations and 7200 rpm 2.5-inch HDDs typically consume 2.3W during read and 2.1W during write operations. Therefore, a 70 per cent reduction in power consumption for a typical 5400 and 7200 rpm 2.5-inch HDD is 1.4W or 1.61W during read and 1.26W or 1.47W during write operations respectively.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I can see a 15" MBA but I hope there are new MBPs that are ODD free and thin (although not nearly as thin as the MBA) on the horizon, too.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Ethernet port, please.

My Ethernet adapter only comes out every 3 months or so. Such an unnecessary port.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

I need the IR sensor for the remote back, b/c I use it to teach EVERYDAY. I hate packing around my Logitech presenter with the hugh dongle that sticks out on the side of my 11" MBA.

What about getting a Bluetooth remote control?
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:

Hey I can top that ...For gloating ... I was berated by a certain Global Mod on AI a decade ago for an anti Microsoft comment. He then went on to remark to someone that agreed with him that this Digitalclips guy had a problem (his words were stronger) and wished people would get off thinking Apple had a snowball's chance in hell of ever competing against Microsoft and should just be happy being a niche player.

I remarked recently on forum where readers were complaining about having to upgrade macs every five years, that if instead of spending $2000 on a computer ten years, one would have purchased $2,000 of AAPL, today it would be worth $150,000. On the other hand if one would have purchased $2,000 of MSFT at the same time, it would now be worth $1,000.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

If you have a MBA and often find you need an ethernet port, I can understand your criticism.

If you don't yet have a MBA and think you will often need one, you may find you don't. When I got my MBA, I bought the USB-ethernet adapter at the same time. When the adapter remained in the package for a few months, I got rid of it. I like the current arrangement that keeps the MBA nice and light and small and elegant. The USB-ethernet adapter ought to be fine for people who need to get wired in, I suspect the majority of owners never need to.

This is a great post. I bought every adapter possible when I got my 11" MBA. I've used the Ethernet adapter 2 or 3 times, VGA adapter twice (client's projectors), and the SuperDrive twice. Oh well...I guess I bought piece of mind.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

If you have a MBA and often find you need an ethernet port, I can understand your criticism.

If you don't yet have a MBA and think you will often need one, you may find you don't. When I got my MBA, I bought the USB-ethernet adapter at the same time. When the adapter remained in the package for a few months, I got rid of it. I like the current arrangement that keeps the MBA nice and light and small and elegant. The USB-ethernet adapter ought to be fine for people who need to get wired in, I suspect the majority of owners never need to.

It’s especially not a problem, since you need to carry an Ethernet cable anyway (if you go places with no WiFi). So, just click the adapter onto the cable you’re already carrying, and it’s really not one more part to keep track of.

(I got one of the first Airs, and all the adapters... In all those years, I’ve used the Ethernet once or twice for LAN gaming, the dialup modem once or twice out in the boonies as an emergency backup connection, the video connectors... never until now when I bought a projector, and again, I need a cable for it anyway so the adapter just sits on the end of the cable permanently. I got a USB hub and use it for only one thing: serious FPS gaming where I use an external games drive, mouse, and left-hand gamepad simultaneously. That’s the only time I need more than 2 USB ports at once. I have never used an optical drive at all! Once or twice I’ve used AirDisc. And I’m not a light user: the Air is my primary machine, used for work and play 24/7. I game on it, run my business, and do graphics/animation work. All of which I can grab with one hand and run out the door—or to another room--without a second thought. It’s great!)
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superdx View Post

My Ethernet adapter only comes out every 3 months or so. Such an unnecessary port.

Agreed. Hell, I can't even remember the last time I used the ethernet port on my MBP :-\\
  • Reply 29 of 45
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Ethernet port, please.

lol, good one. While we're at it I also demand a serial and vga port.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can see a 15" MBA but I hope there are new MBPs that are ODD free and thin (although not nearly as thin as the MBA) on the horizon, too.

I can't see a new 15 inch Air unless the new Macbook Pro 15" comes with a very high definition screen.

The current Macbook Air 13" has the same screen resolution as the standard Macbook Pro 15".

A Macbook Air 15" will have to have a higher resolution than the 13" unless Apple's returning to the iBook G4 12" and 14" philosophy - two different sizes with the same resolution.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    I would expect ethernet to survive in the MBP but not in a 15" MBA.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I can't see a new 15 inch Air unless the new Macbook Pro 15" comes with a very high definition screen.

HiPDI display, 3-4 USB ports, the inclusion of the separate mic port along with the combined headphone/mic port, FW800 (at least for awhile), user-replacable RAM sticks, longer battery life, and a 2.5" drive space (though perhaps only for a 7mm drive). I'd also like an option for cellular connectivity built in but I'm not holding my breath on that one and frankly tethering my iPhone is simple enough.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I remarked recently on forum where readers were complaining about having to upgrade macs every five years, that if instead of spending $2000 on a computer ten years, one would have purchased $2,000 of AAPL, today it would be worth $150,000. On the other hand if one would have purchased $2,000 of MSFT at the same time, it would now be worth $1,000.

Good point. Happy to say I did purchase AAPL a long time ago ... unlike that AI Global Mod I mentioned I actually always did believe Apple would pull ahead of Microsoft in my life time
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

Toshiba claims that the 90 per cent reduction in size has resulted in a 70 per cent reduction in energy consumption and an unspecified reduction in manufacturing costs compared to a standard 2.5-inch HDD. Toshiba also claims to have made it operational with transfer rates of 2 Gbp/s with data transfer that relies on short-range, electromagnetic communication.

Although Toshiba doesn't specify the rotation frequency of the 2.5-inch HDD it uses for comparison, according to Web-Feet Research, 5400 rpm 2.5-inch HDDs typically consume 2.0W during read and 1.8W during write operations and 7200 rpm 2.5-inch HDDs typically consume 2.3W during read and 2.1W during write operations. Therefore, a 70 per cent reduction in power consumption for a typical 5400 and 7200 rpm 2.5-inch HDD is 1.4W or 1.61W during read and 1.26W or 1.47W during write operations respectively.

It is almost science fiction isn't it? Thank you for the information. Our MBPs (wife and I) are only sixth months and a year old so by the next refresh for us, usually three or four years, I will no doubt be able to buy a MBAs with lots of storage
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

lol, good one. While we're at it I also demand a serial and vga port.

You forgot the floppy disk drive too! Oh and a modem too?
  • Reply 36 of 45
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What about getting a Bluetooth remote control?

Or he can use his iPhone/iPod.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

It is almost science fiction isn't it? Thank you for the information. Our MBPs (wife and I) are only sixth months and a year old so by the next refresh for us, usually three or four years, I will no doubt be able to buy a MBAs with lots of storage

I'll be buying soon. My MBP is a late 2006 model with 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo but limited to 3 GB of RAM. That's by far the longest I've ever used a computer, but money has been tight. Hopefully, things will loosen up this spring or summer and I'll be in the market. I love the MBA, but I think the screen size is a bit too small and I really don't have a problem with the bulk (my 17" MBP is only a minor inconvenience when I travel). If they make a 15 or 17" MBA, that's what I'll get. If not, probably an MBP.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I love the MBA, but I think the screen size is a bit too small and I really don't have a problem with the bulk (my 17" MBP is only a minor inconvenience when I travel). If they make a 15 or 17" MBA, that's what I'll get. If not, probably an MBP.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I bought my unibody 17-incher just about 3 years ago. I've swapped out the hard drive for an OWC Mercury SSD so the speed boost has been holding me at bay. If Apple were to release a 17" Air I'd give it strong consideration. I've thought of downsizing to a 15" display but the thing that keeps me in the 17" camp is, well the screen size, & such great speakers! I don't know if they could put the same awesome speakers in a 17" Air?
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I'm kind of in the same boat. I bought my unibody 17-incher just about 3 years ago. I've swapped out the hard drive for an OWC Mercury SSD so the speed boost has been holding me at bay. If Apple were to release a 17" Air I'd give it strong consideration. I've thought of downsizing to a 15" display but the thing that keeps me in the 17" camp is, well the screen size, & such great speakers! I don't know if they could put the same awesome speakers in a 17" Air?

I have the 17" MBP as well, I love the machine but the speakers are awful! I got a Jambox to throw in my luggage and in general much happier with it!
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:

Ethernet port, please.

Quote:

I remember those ...

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

And while they're at it, how about adding a floppy drive.

I was SO wanting a SCSI port in the next MBA...

j/k