Apple bringing Macs to the living room with AirPlay for Mountain Lion

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    is it just me or the "This is big" caption might imply something?

it would be very apple-ish (and really hilarious): hidding it in plain sight.

• Reply 62 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The next Apple TV (box, not a monitor, for heaven's sake) should have an A6 chip in it, meaning zero excuse for not outputting 1080p.

Shouldn't need a faster chip; the $99 Roku box does 1080p just fine.

Once the 1080p is available, each conference room tv in our office will be getting one. I'll finally be able to do dual-monitor presentations the way I want to-- or at least closer and without needing to pull fiber from the conference table to the TV wall. Should help sell us a few more Macs as well...

Now just need iMessage to work with the apple tv and a webcam.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwinter View Post

It's the same generic TV box they use for all their stuff. There is absolutely nothing to see here. Tim Cook said they're not making a TV, and the idea was ludicrous on the face of it.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwinter View Post

I'll believe when I see it. I have done all I can and so far I still can't see it.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How is a wireless streaming solution in any way a 'cable' or 'adapter'? That's like complaining your satellite company's DVR is in the way of getting content to your TV.

Quote:

a·dapt·er/əˈdaptər/

Nount

A device for connecting pieces of equipment that cannot be connected directly.

The ATV is the device that does the wireless connection, otherwise, you're going to have to run a cable, and you won't have a wireless connection.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    when you watch the video properly for AirPlay Mirroring, it doesn't shows any lag of few seconds when transferring video from macbook to HDTV whereas right now if you airplay from iPad or iPhone there is clearly a lag of 2-3 seconds… have they fixed it or this is the sign of new apple tv?
  • Reply 67 of 73
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's kind of crap streaming your computer to the TV. It always looks blurry compared to a real computer monitor. It might be ok for playing games on the big screen, if you only have a laptop, I guess.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    On this topic, it makes perfect sense and is open to a larger market to make a set-top box. However, if they feel that consumers won't pay a lot for another box, and therefore sales are limited, perhaps they think a full TV system offers a better experience and enough will buy in.

In one example, if they plan to include iOS features like FaceTime and have a camera at the top, it would look much better integrated than placing a wired or wireless camera unit on top of the television.

Who knows, we have to wait and see what Apple has cooked up!

On a side note, earlier someone said that they should announce Siri for the Mac. I think that would be really cool, but they license speech recognition from Nuance, which has a software package for Mac, albeit expensive. Nuance is a hard negotiator and while I don't know how well their product sells....I don't think they want to obsolete it.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

On a side note, earlier someone said that they should announce Siri for the Mac. I think that would be really cool, but they license speech recognition from Nuance, which has a software package for Mac, albeit expensive. Nuance is a hard negotiator and while I don't know how well their product sells....I don't think they want to obsolete it.

Simple, Apple buys Nuance like they should have a year ago. Incorporates their stuff directly into Apple products.

Heck, we have Nuance voices built into Lion and Mountain Lion already.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

Hopefully the airplay of the apple TV will be updated as to not restrict it to the 5 device limitation. I'd love for the ability to walk into an auditorium (I give a lot of presentations) and have it just work without having to worry about Apple ID authentication.

I think that's where Apple has missed a big bag of easy cash with Apple TV for a long time. At my office, we have the problem of interfacing with overhead projectors all the time. either buy expensive wireless dongles (and expect the office staff to keep track of them) or drop cables from the ceiling... An Apple TV with Airplay tucked in the ceiling with your projector is the perfect solution to the problem.... just bundle basic screen sharing (similar to WebEx) into iTunes for windows users, or even make it an iOS app for the Apple TV (App store?) In that respect a 5 device limit is silly because the Apple TV stores minimal media in it's puny 4GB flash. Apple could almost pull off what Microsoft has been trying to make EASY for the last 10 years. (yes, I realize Xbox 1 could do remote media.. but it's still not EASY... hand this to an MBA to show their PowerPoint == easy)
  • Reply 71 of 73
    While you guys all argue over semantics, I have a practical question. How would Airplay work for my iMac in as much as my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse have very limited range? I mean, what good is it to send my iMac display to my HDTV in the next room if I can't control anything from there? Not a problem if you are using a MacBook but if you're streaming from an iMac it would be. UNLESS, the Bluetooth devices can connect or be relayed via the ATV.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

While you guys all argue over semantics, I have a practical question. How would Airplay work for my iMac in as much as my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse have very limited range? I mean, what good is it to send my iMac display to my HDTV in the next room if I can't control anything from there? Not a problem if you are using a MacBook but if you're streaming from an iMac it would be. UNLESS, the Bluetooth devices can connect or be relayed via the ATV.

Keeping up with the answers is overwhelming me
  • Reply 73 of 73
    Did you know that you can use our app for sending video from browser with AirPlay? Works right now with AppleTV 2 Link to Mac App Store