Safari user sues Google over claimed privacy violation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I've been fighting this cat & mouse game with DoubleClick for years. I thought I had it licked with the Ghostery extension but lately a lot of things won't work on web pages anymore unless I turn off the extension. It's a never ending battle.

Suggest you download "Little Snitch", it stops the tracking of any site you don't want tracking you.
  • Reply 22 of 109
    Everybody hop on the burn Google bandwagon!! Most people are blowing this waaay out of proportion, either due to ignorance, misunderstanding, or an over eager willingness to bash google. Ridiculous.
  • Reply 23 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

If you read the Microsoft blog post, you'll note that the behavior of the browsers is in accordance to the standard. Google (and others) are abusing the standard as it is currently written and implemented, plain and simple.

The default is to ignore malformed or unknown requests, this allows for future expandability. Google's P3P line isn't anything close to what they should be telling the browsers. In fact they completely ignore the standard and say so!

Microsoft has had to take a non-standard approach in order to further protect IE 9 users.

Winner. Legal standard no one reads
  • Reply 24 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Everybody hop on the burn Google bandwagon!! Most people are blowing this waaay out of proportion, either due to ignorance, misunderstanding, or an over eager willingness to bash google. Ridiculous.

Its like the PATH fiasco. Its fun to be part of the mob. More fun to be against it as well.
  • Reply 25 of 109
    Quote:

No, Google isn't anything but in the wrong here.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    I am the opposite of a Google fan-boy (in fact, I often wonder how there can be such a thing). Excluding search, I find most Google products and services to be a usability nightmare. That being said, I am not so sure that I agree that what Google did in this case is really really blameworthy.

Sure, there is an argument to be made that the "form trick" they pulled constitutes circumvention of Safari's privacy settings, but that argument strikes me as being a bit pedantic. Assuming, arguendo, that Google's statement about this trick serving only to enable features enabled by logged-in Google users, then what, really, is the harm? Ostensibly the only users affected would be those that wanted features enabled that wouldn't have worked without the "hack." Isn't the web full of instances where creative engineering was used to achieve interoperability across a wide variety of devices?

One thing is for certain, Google should dispense with the "Do no evil" bit. They are a corporation seeking to maximize shareholder value - they are governed by various bodies of U.S. and International law, not some holistic and unified sense of morality.

I am perfectly willing to stand corrected on this issue, but I frequently see "troll" posts in this forum by the Apple-haters, and I would like to think that we don't succumb to the same rush to judgment about Google as so-many Android fans have done to us.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Bullshit! Do you have a 5" Android piece of shit phone in your pocket, which led you to make such an outrageous and ridiculous post?

This is a blatant abuse of privacy and trust, far worse than any so-called outrage or scandal that Apple has been involved in.

For example, I have no problems with having my credit card linked to my Apple ID. No way in hell would I ever do the same when it comes to Google, because I simply do not trust them.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Bullshit! Do you have a 5" Android piece of shit phone in your pocket, which led you to make such an outrageous and ridiculous post?

This is a blatant abuse of privacy and trust, far worse than any so-called outrage or scandal that Apple has been involved in.

For example, I have no problems with having my credit card linked to my Apple ID. No way in hell would I ever do the same when it comes to Google, because I simply do not trust them.

Like the PATH Fisaco. Burn google, burn apple. Whats left? RIM, windows 7, meego, symbian, bada, and webos
  • Reply 29 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I've been fighting this cat & mouse game with DoubleClick for years. I thought I had it licked with the Ghostery extension but lately a lot of things won't work on web pages anymore unless I turn off the extension. It's a never ending battle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I only chose to read it after you replied to TS. Otherwise I didn't have interest. You went to the trouble to post the link give us interest to click it, that's all I'm saying.

I've come across that, too. Even things like Disqus comment on Engadget are blocked by Ghostery. I wonder if that's intentional or if they are wrapping these ads and analytics so deep that it breaks parts of the pages if not loaded.

The only website that I need to turn it off is NFL for their video streaming. The rest work just fine though my list of regular sites may significantly less than both of you.

------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Google's don't be evil mantra is bullsh*t.

Google has a horrible privacy rights record. Trying to ween myself off but their search engine is still the best, imo.

That 'mantra' have long gone but it is (almost) the number one reason why people hate Google nowadays - when you connect the dots on what they have been doing with things like this, with their previous 'do no evil' corporate image.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Suggest you download "Little Snitch", it stops the tracking of any site you don't want tracking you.

Just this month Little Snitch started asking me if I really wanted to connect to google.com; saying that it could not verify the site. This came up on EVERY website I visited. I immediately cancelled my gmail account and it stopped.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    One thing I haven't read in all the threads about this is, how can we fix it? Is Apple going to fix it? Is there a setting or something we can tweak?

I've manually gone through the cookies on my iMac and weeded them from 2500+ down to about 40 "legitimate" ones.

It makes me very unhappy that after manually deleting a bunch of crap, after an hour of browsing there's another 50 cookies from sites I did not visit - "Block cookies from 3rd parties and advertisers" seems to be completely and utterly broken / useless.

Why is there no option to have it just ask you for every cookie request if you want to allow or not? I'd like to see which sites I visit are playing these scummy games and sideloading cookies.

As much as I am unhappy with Google for deliberately exploiting this flaw, I'm also disappointed in Apple for not fixing the flaw in the first place.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

One thing I haven't read in all the threads about this is, how can we fix it? Is Apple going to fix it? Is there a setting or something we can tweak?

I've manually gone through the cookies on my iMac and weeded them from 2500+ down to about 40 "legitimate" ones.

It makes me very unhappy that after manually deleting a bunch of crap, after an hour of browsing there's another 50 cookies from sites I did not visit - "Block cookies from 3rd parties and advertisers" seems to be completely and utterly broken / useless.

Why is there no option to have it just ask you for every cookie request if you want to allow or not? I'd like to see which sites I visit are playing these scummy games and sideloading cookies.

As much as I am unhappy with Google for deliberately exploiting this flaw, I'm also disappointed in Apple for not fixing the flaw in the first place.

its a standard that should have been fixed
  • Reply 33 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

And? you're blaming Apple.

Quote:

Because who wants to click through twenty dialogue boxes before they get to a site?

If ABSOLUTELY NOTHING else, I would like a "protected cookies" option. Where you tick a box and that cookie is locked so when you go to "remove all", those aren't removed.

Quote:

How is this at all Apple's fault? They JUST heard about it.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    How do I get in on this class action?
  • Reply 35 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDavid311 View Post

How do I get in on this class action?

It's not a class action.
  • Reply 36 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Like the PATH Fisaco. Burn google, burn apple. Whats left? RIM, windows 7, meego, symbian, bada, and webos

Not quite the same thing at all. Unlike Google, Apple was not the one who was collecting and gathering any data. If that PATH social network did it or if any other apps did it, then that was something that should clearly not be allowed. Unlike Google, Apple is not a shitty advertising company that relies on ads and deceiving users for their income.

"Apps that collect or transmit a user's contact data without their prior permission are in violation of our guidelines," the statement says. "We're working to make this even better for our customers, and as we have done with location services, any app wishing to access contact data will require explicit user approval in a future software release."
  • Reply 37 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's not a class action.

Not yet. They are seeking class action status.
  • Reply 38 of 109
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It seems that what Google was doing was sneaky, scummy, backhanded and illegal!

And they did it to MS too! Why doesn't Apple and Microsoft join together and sue Google, for illegally exploiting both of their browsers?

And there should definitely be class action suits against Google for their illegal invasion of privacy, like the one mentioned in the OP.

Besides having easy access to malware, I wonder what hidden surprises Android phones come with when somebody either buys one or is given one for free? I wouldn't trust shit that Google says or claim, they'll lie right to your face, while illegally gathering info on you and tracking you. Do the ignorant people who buy junky Android phones which comes with a free OS think that Google is doing it out of the goodness of their heart?

Some ignorant fools and degenerate Fandroids whine and bitch about Apple? Apple is a saint compared to Google.

Interesting read: http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/21/the-last-alliance/
  • Reply 39 of 109
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This is why I personally use a Littlesnitch, it told me about all Google little tricks of phoning home when I did not want them doing it, I have block most of Google's servers especially it analytic data collection servers. What people also do not fully realize if you have a gmail or google account it is able to track you on any and all computer you log into, even if you log out it is still tracking your activities.

The other thing I do when I use google for searching for information I run my connection via proxy server somewhere else in the world. This way they can not track it back to my home location. Face it Google goal in live is to know you better than you know yourself and then share that information with anyone who is willing to pay for. Most all of you freely give up your rights when you get free google accounts, you exchange your privacy for free things.
  • Reply 40 of 109
    Oh ok, well I want in as soon as it becomes class action. I HATE Google. Never really did like them at all to begin with, I mostly used other search engines but still used theirs once in a while. Up until Steve Jobs confirmed what I already figured. That Android was a stolen idea. I haven't been to Google site in 2 yrs! And I havent been to Facebooks site in almost 2 yrs either