Viewing videos embedded in PDF on iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    We have product brochures that are in PDF format (but we'll gladly switch to another, if necessary) that contain some embedded video of some of the procedures used with our products. Note: The video works fine separately (mp4 format), and the pdf works fine separately (pdf format, duh )

We haven't found a way to gracefully display any of these images with the Ipad. Currently, users have to bring up the PDF, then switch out of the application (Currently, goodreader) then find and click the video.

I find it interesting that these devices can't seem to support any sort of embedded video - I'm completely open to workarounds, but I haven't found any that seem to work correctly. A key component is that integration between text and the corresponding video is seamless.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or alternate ideas? I'm about to look at a powerpoint / keynote solution and see if I can't get that to work properly...
  • Reply 22 of 41
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelnavco View Post

We have product brochures that are in PDF format (but we'll gladly switch to another, if necessary) that contain some embedded video of some of the procedures used with our products. Note: The video works fine separately (mp4 format), and the pdf works fine separately (pdf format, duh )

We haven't found a way to gracefully display any of these images with the Ipad. Currently, users have to bring up the PDF, then switch out of the application (Currently, goodreader) then find and click the video.

I find it interesting that these devices can't seem to support any sort of embedded video - I'm completely open to workarounds, but I haven't found any that seem to work correctly. A key component is that integration between text and the corresponding video is seamless.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or alternate ideas? I'm about to look at a powerpoint / keynote solution and see if I can't get that to work properly...

If you are creating documentation, use HTML and linked H.264 video. Just serve the page elements rather than trying to serve a PDF. You don't need an elaborate page. It is Adobe that is holding the PDF embedded video back, so just end run them. I think that was a bit of overkill for the OP, but in your case it seems like it could be a good choice.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Apparently the new version of iBooks just released a few days ago supports embedded video. Perhaps you could use software such as Calibre to convert to epub, and it will retain the video.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rxkslash View Post

well, why you embeded a video in pdf document? i never thought it, it's really odd. but hope you can find a good solution

I must agree with you. Embedded video is going very far afield of the original mission of the PDF format. These "enhancements" to the format are turning it into a bloated mess.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I must agree with you. Embedded video is going very far afield of the original mission of the PDF format. These "enhancements" to the format are turning it into a bloated mess.

They are also a very serious security vulnerability, in Adobes own words...
  • Reply 26 of 41
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

If you are creating documentation, use HTML and linked H.264 video. Just serve the page elements rather than trying to serve a PDF. You don't need an elaborate page. It is Adobe that is holding the PDF embedded video back, so just end run them. I think that was a bit of overkill for the OP, but in your case it seems like it could be a good choice.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. If you're looking at synchronising text and video, well, now is the time to figure that out with HTML and H.264.

On the other hand, if you are targeting iPad exclusively then definitely check out Keynote presentation playback on an iPad. I haven't tested it yet myself though.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Apparently the new version of iBooks just released a few days ago supports embedded video. Perhaps you could use software such as Calibre to convert to epub, and it will retain the video.

I heard about this update and got really excited, but for some reason I can't get any files (neither .pdf nor .epub) from itunes to my ipad to work on ibooks. All I can see in my library is that stupid winnie the pooh book. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Solutions?
  • Reply 28 of 41
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

I heard about this update and got really excited, but for some reason I can't get any files (neither .pdf nor .epub) from itunes to my ipad to work on ibooks. All I can see in my library is that stupid winnie the pooh book. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Solutions?

My reading (without testing) is that the newest version of iBooks supports embedded video, but not necessarily in PDF books. You add books by dragging them into iTunes.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

There should be a widget someplace that swaps you over to the PDF shelf. They are separate IIRC.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

There should be a widget someplace that swaps you over to the PDF shelf. They are separate IIRC.

Figured it out. It's still lame that video embedded in a pdf cant be viewed thru ibooks. Who the fudge cares about video in epubs, pdfs where its at.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Figured it out. It's still lame that video embedded in a pdf cant be viewed thru ibooks. Who the fudge cares about video in epubs, pdfs where its at.

Don't blame it on Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    han11han11 Posts: 1member
    Quote:

I embedded a video and link to a website in a .pdf file. I converted the .pdf to a .epub for iBook, but I can't view the video or click the link in iBook. What's the solution?

Hello,

I have read all the discussion here. I have the same problem and wondering whether you found any solution to view videos embedded in PDF file on Ipad. I have lots of pdf files and related videos. I used Adobe Pro to embed video files in pdf.

Have you got any other idea apart from the ones discussed here before?

Thanks
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by han11 View Post

Hello,

I have read all the discussion here. I have the same problem and wondering whether you found any solution to view videos embedded in PDF file on Ipad. I have lots of pdf files and related videos. I used Adobe Pro to embed video files in pdf.

Have you got any other idea apart from the ones discussed here before?

Thanks

There isn't a solution because it isn't legal for anyone other then Adobe to do it yet. Adobe has not released that part of the PDF spec into the open standards community yet.

I hope you also know there are some very serious PDF vulnerabilities when you embed multimedia into PDFs. PDFs are mostly great for static documents, not very great when you consider Adobe's track record on security.

I suggest you look for alternate ways to do whatever you are doing with embedding because there is no guarantee when Adobe will make it available as part of the open standard, nor when they will really figure out how to allow a program to run another program without allowing a third program to run too. That is a flat out security nightmare.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Right now Adobe is saying they have to be swf or flash file which we all know don't work on iOS. Anyone find a solution to videos embedded in PDFs that are viewable on iOS devices?

Seemed like there was no clear answer at Adobe MAX 2011 other than to include a link to a microsite which is no good if you don't have a connection.

Thanks, Bud
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Read up one post. The world hasn't changed yet.

And I still think it is a very bad idea to do that. I can't think of a reason to do that which wouldn't be better handled in other less risky and more cross platform compatible ways.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

Read up one post. The world hasn't changed yet.

And I still think it is a very bad idea to do that. I can't think of a reason to do that which wouldn't be better handled in other less risky and more cross platform compatible ways.

What are you talking about?
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BudCasanova View Post

What are you talking about?

Exactly what I said. Look up one post from your (#35), post 34 to be exact. The reasons from 6 months ago are still valid.

The Adobe PDF extensions that include the embedding are still proprietary. So it is not legal for anyone other than Adobe to embed video into PDFs.

Adobe has plugged a couple of the publicly identified security holes but not all of them and the overall architecture of embedding begs for malware abuse unless the code is airtight. Seeing as it has been established the code isn't airtight, I am still leery of PDF embedding in Adobe's PDF software despite the patches they have pushed.
  • Reply 38 of 41

I'm certainly no expert but came across this http://blogs.creative-jar.com/post/My-ordeal-with-the-iPad2c-iBooks-and-video-embedding.aspx

You may find it useful.

• Reply 39 of 41

get iBooks Author free from the mac app store, it allows you to make iBooks and embed video and other media

• Reply 40 of 41

i did do some testing today in an app by Readdle called PDF expert. It was able to run mp4 embedded in a pdf page. Trouble is, it's $9.99