Apple's 'iPad 3' rumored to have Siri, dual-core A5X chip, 1080p camera

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

All I want is 1GB of RAM. I'd wish for 2GB but I don't want to be disappointed.

I would think if they go with a Retina display of some sort, they'd have to increase the RAM amount to accommodate the extra resources (outside of the GPU) that the extra real-estate is going to require.

I'm hoping they do too.
  • Reply 102 of 111
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not seeing that numerical correlation as being the most likely. And while Apple does have some pull in getting chips produced faster than others those being A15-based in the quantity needed seems unlike for a March release. Now if we say an April release that month certainly starts sounding more realistic. Personally I'm leaning toward what others have said about this A) either being a placeholder or B) the X referring to 2xfor the CPU, and possibly the RAM and GPU (if not 4x like Wizard69 suggests).

I know, that is the more likely, but only because we're under the impression that Cortex A15 isn't available yet.

Its probably the simplest explanation. Its a double A5 (quad core A5), double the RAM (1 GB), double the GPU performance, to drive double the resolution. I'll add to that "double" the battery performance, to achieve the same 10 hours of battery life, given the added demands.

Does make a lot of sense. Apple-esque.
  • Reply 103 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

A little disappointed in the dual core processer, when Android tabs are starting to ship with Tegra 3 quad core processors.

That's because the Android tablet seriously needs a big horse to carry the fat woman rider. In the end the Apple design that sips power and runs rings around the quad core Android mashup will be the winner. Fear not, young grasshopper.
  • Reply 104 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

If the FaceTime camera does not see improvement, I will be very disappointed. The front camera on any tablet device, particularly the iPad, is 1000x more important than the back camera.

The amount of data pushed through a wire is a limiting factor. The current FaceTime camera may collect only as much data as the throughput of the communication system can handle. So, I don't expect to see a change here.
  • Reply 105 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Going to wait until the Windows 8 tablets are released later this year before making a decision. It will come down to usability and apps. Since I run a Windows Media Center server at home, I may have to get a W8 tablet for compatibility.

Awwww... dat's too bad... I understand WM8 will have a good dozen or so apps when it ships, or at least they will be giving you a promise of them "shipping soon."
  • Reply 106 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Awwww... dat's too bad... I understand WM8 will have a good dozen or so apps when it ships, or at least they will be giving you a promise of them "shipping soon."

This will largely depend on if Windows 8 tablet has more in common with Windows Phone 8 or Windows 8 PC.

If MSFT brings Windows 8 tablet to market with the full arsenal of Windows PC applications

with close ties to Windows Phone 8's ecosystem, it will get interesting fast.

Though, this will be more of an issue for android than Apple.
  • Reply 107 of 111
    Here is a test of a dual-core Cortex-A15 v. quad-core Cortex-A9.
  • Reply 108 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

When you're old enough to stop watching Sesame Street, then I'll consider your comments.

An android poster drives-by with yet another "iPad doesn't spec up to an Android tablet", I ask that he back up his beliefs, and he's conveniently quiet.

I call trolls as I see them. There are quite a few infesting this forum, and I'll continue outing them.

Maybe he just did not connect back... I usually read the comment threads once, and then I'm done with it.

I'm not saying you're wrong or right, mind you, I'd have to know if said guy really is a troll and study your own posts, which I haven't go the wish/time to do. I however do agree that if said guy was not trolling but just says what he thinks (and I can tell you I have friends who think that way, and put their money where their mouth is), then your comment was un-nice.

My two cents.

By the way, last iOS update made iPad 2 horribly slow. I hope this is solved fast, it is no-so-cool, especially in iBooks that now takes AGES to open a freaking iBook... yeah I know it's unrelated, just needed to vent out...
  • Reply 109 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Let's hope it's A15 core based... see A15 dual core benchmarks combined with the current PowerVR

What are the chances that The A5X chip if that is the real chip will be ARM A15 based??
  • Reply 110 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by id4nnyzz View Post

What are the chances that The A5X chip if that is the real chip will be ARM A15 based??

Zero, I think, but I haven't been following this very closely.
  • Reply 111 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Zero, I think, but I haven't been following this very closely.

I don't know of anyone who has dual-core Cortex-A15-based products coming out in March or April. It doesn't appear to be ready until the latter half of the year, in time for the sixth-gen iPhone. Even quad-core Cortex-A9 is looking like a tight fit but I think Apple can pull it off.