Factory workers claim Foxconn hid underage employees before FLA inspection

Comments

• Reply 41 of 180
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Apple should open an office inside Foxconn with Apple & FLA staff permanently based there. That way they could walk around daily making sure everything is ok. Add a hotline for employees to call in confidence to report anything and Foxconn would not be able to get away with any abuses for long before Apple caught up with them. Much better than planned inspections where Foxconn can easily hide things.

That can't do that Shaun, because that would work and people on this forum don't want to solve problems, they just want to defend Apple no matter what. If anything threatens their little Apple they put on their cult hats and start kicking, screaming and generally belittling.
  • Reply 42 of 180
    Quote:

Apple should open an office inside Foxconn with Apple & FLA staff permanently based there. That way they could walk around daily making sure everything is ok. Add a hotline for employees to call in confidence to report anything and Foxconn would not be able to get away with any abuses for long before Apple caught up with them. Much better than planned inspections where Foxconn can easily hide things.

I'm not mocking you when I say, Apple should just buy a country and make that their new manufacturing/ everything HQ. That way they don't have to deal with all this nonsense. While it sounds disturbing, who wouldn't want to live in Applezistan?
  • Reply 43 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That can't do that Shaun, because that would work and people on this forum don't want to solve problems, they just want to defend Apple no matter what. If anything threatens their little Apple they put on their cult hats and start kicking, screaming and generally belittling.

Apple has responsibilities, but short of Apple taking over government of one or two companies (Freudian slip, I meant "countries"), we gotta just keep pushing Apple to do better. Isn't it Tim Cook that said they have higher expectations of themselves than anyone else?
  • Reply 44 of 180
    This is absurd:

Quote:

SACOM has drafted a petition calling for Apple to "end the use of student workers; provide a living wage for all the workers so they do not have to work excessive overtime hours; conduct labour rights training for workers, including training on occupational health and safety; facilitate the formation of a genuine trade union through democratic election; and compensate the victims if there is non-compliance with the Apple code of conduct."

Bitch to FOXCONN the corporation Apple, DELL, ASUS, HP, etc., contract to for assembly.

They don't own FOXCONN.
  • Reply 45 of 180
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

That would make sense. Apple should have some sort of presence at the factory. I am not sure about Foxconn employees calling Apple to complain about Foxconn though. Maybe an internal hotline but that would be up to Foxconn to monitor the calls.
  • Reply 46 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

$142? Only 3.5 years to buy an iPad? Really?

That's per month, Ralph.
  • Reply 47 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I hate Occam's razor. Occam's razor exists so that stupid people can simplify complicated things at the expense of reality.

You hate that very often simplest explanation is the right one? and it looks like the right one in this case to me too.
  • Reply 48 of 180
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I'm not sure if you read my endless tirades but long story short I'm back in Oz after six years in Malaysia. What I'm seeing is that it is really hard to understand what is going on in the developing world. In summary, it ain't pretty there. Yes, worker's rights are important but it's not only the money. The systematic challenges throughout the socioeconomic fabric of Asia needs to be looked at more closely.

Why here in sunny Perth good ol' Curtin University is facing a massive backlash due to giving Malaysia's most heinous and corrupt first lady an honourary degree. I think Curtin didn't take into consideration how bad government is in Malaysia. (Also bl**dy ironic since Curtin has probably one of the highest percentages of Malaysian students ~ who, have to go to Curtin or overseas universities because, oh, institionalised racism [in Malaysia, so far here in oz a few yobos/bogans/etc have shouted at me but it's all good]).

</soap box ~ I promised I'd behave>

Very cool, ive never been there, ive been to Tai pei & japan 3 times.

bogans piss me off, apparently the southern cross is like our version of the confederate flag or something, so the racism isnt so secretive now.

Agreed, lots of stuff in all the 3rd world countries need some looking at, i wont be blaming apple for not fixing the world tho, thats crazy talk, i get that everyone should do their part but people are piping up alittle too much about it.

if people care they should get on a plane & help the people themselves, sorry i got on a soap box for a sec :O

PS never been to perth, ill have to at some point, ive seen alot of australia already.
  • Reply 49 of 180
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Nightline's conclusions were the main two issue were worker boredom and low wages. Honestly you should open your ears before telling me to read up.

.....that said enough but i think ill need to spell it out of you, boredom...Are you kidding me? that is plain or chocolate covered silly talk, work is work not fun, people getting bored everywhere is life.

that precious princess talk, some people need to drink a tall glass of harded the f*^% up.

only on the internet do i read such silly things, ill need to make a meme that reflects this.

& im sure id giggle my ass off thinking about it because its so silly

Im not a mean person i honestly say what i feel & help people out everywhere i can, but seriously all the 1st world problems we face doesn't qualify us to talk about alot of this stuff & boredom...its just..... filthy drinking water & having no job & no home, thats something horrible, repressing beige paint at work that makes me bored... or repetitive tasks thats alot of people work.

Have a coke & a smile.
  • Reply 50 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

However, I would say that I think the hours are high and living accommodation could be substantially better. In terms of conditions for workers, I would like to see Apple put their money where their mouth is and spend some of their $100 billion on funding improvements to accommodation at Foxconn and their other OEM partners (if Apple spent $500 million on this they'd still have $99.5 billion left in the bank and the accommodation would be amazing).

Wow. Now we think Apple should subsidize Foxconn.

Better yet, why not Apple subsidize my iPad purchase, and give it to me for free? After they spend just $800, they'll still have $99,999,999,200 left.
  • Reply 51 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALR26 View Post

I am so sick and tired of all these "labor" groups trying to find fault with Apple's factory suppliers in China. Who the fuck are we to complain about another country's labor laws?

Thanks for bringing some sanity to this.

Most Europeans -- even Canadians -- think that our labor conditions in the US are primitive compared to theirs. And they are right. (Yet, sadly, we laugh at them.)
  • Reply 52 of 180
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So Foxconn moves these abused workers to "other departments" when Apple etc have their inspections.

Obviously these "other departments" are the facilities that manufacture other companies' products and Foxconn feels safe moving them there because there is no scrutiny.

If this well meaning but misguided student really wanted to help these poor exploited workers and bring about change then I suggest she calls for scrutiny of ALL Foxconn's factories and pressures the companies who are using un-inspected workplaces where Foxconn can hide underage and exploited workers i.e.

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)

Amazon.com (United States)

Cisco (United States)

Dell (United States)

Gateway (United States)

Hewlett-Packard (United States)

Intel (United States)

Microsoft (United States)

Motorola Mobility (United States)

Nintendo (Japan)

Nokia (Finland)

Samsung (South Korea)

Sony (Japan)

Toshiba (Japan)

Vizio (United States)
  • Reply 53 of 180
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I have this picture in my head of one kid standing on another kid's shoulders under a long lab coat, with a fake moustache on, wobbling about.

"Hellooo Mr Inspector, how are you today? What nice weather we've been having lately."
  • Reply 54 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

IS this really so hard to believe? I think not and Apple is also not all ice cream and candy.

How many times do you have to be beaten over the head with the fact at this is NOT an Apple factory? You do realise that this company makes electronic devices for many other companies, right?
  • Reply 55 of 180
    Here's a question, if Foxconn gets thousands of applicants at a time and they're only able to hire a fraction of them, why would they need to hire anyone who is underage?
  • Reply 56 of 180
    [QUOTE=Zozman;2052853].....that said enough but i think ill need to spell it out of you, boredom...Are you kidding me? that is plain or chocolate covered silly talk, work is work not fun, people getting bored everywhere is life.

that precious princess talk, some people need to drink a tall glass of harded the f*^% up.

only on the internet do i read such silly things, ill need to make a meme that reflects this.

& im sure id giggle my ass off thinking about it because its so silly

Im not a mean person i honestly say what i feel & help people out everywhere i can, but seriously all the 1st world problems we face doesn't qualify us to talk about alot of this stuff & boredom...its just..... filthy drinking water & having no job & no home, thats something horrible, repressing beige paint at work that makes me bored... or repetitive tasks thats alot of people work.

Have a coke & a smile.[/

Oh... So you draw the line at fithy water... Hmmmm. So, Be glad your not in the shitter and dont complain.... Or... While boredom seems mundane, if there is an easy low cost solution to help alleviate, why not? I admit it's a moving goal post...wants and needs never ending. But that's life... Continuously striving to make things better for yourself and hopefully your fellow human being... No?
  • Reply 57 of 180
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

This whole affair isn't about China, it's about America. The unions, regulators, and taxes have driven labor abroad, and now they want to piss all over China to somehow force those jobs back. Not going to happen.

Our government and special interest groups have made manufacturing and labor impossible in the USA, which has utterly destroyed the middle class.

China wont make our mistakes, and they will continue to thrive. So before we start pointing fingers, remember how you voted in the last election first and blame yourself.

This meme is utterly false on multiple levels. The relocation of manufacturing jobs happens for a variety of reasons, and most surely has little to do with unions and regulations. European countries have significantly higher taxes, a much higher level of unionization (that isn't demonized but instead is promoted and part of the business management), and just as much regulation. Some of their manufacturing has moved abroad and some hasn't. Proximity to the supply chain, transportation costs to the final customer, quality, access to the required skilled labor, and many other things are factors.

Taxation may contribute, but not in the way you suggest. Instead it is used as a carrot to attract companies to manufacture in a market by lowering their costs. For the industrialized country, the only way to match this is to put an existing standard of living at risk.

You're right about one thing. Those jobs aren't coming back. But you could get rid of all the unions, regulations, and taxes yet the jobs still aren't coming back.
  • Reply 58 of 180
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I think most of these big city liberal activist types don't understand anything outside of their academia circles.

And you are correct. I didn't see any walls or machine guns holding people in.

Clearly people would rather work hard for Foxconn than eat cat meat and rice in some shit hole Chinese country village.

China is a glorified 3rd world nation. No wonder thousands line up for work. I would too.

Also, all these leftists union morons need to get it through their noggin, Apple is not bringing those jobs here. They can do this smear campaign all day and night, never going to happen.

I'm a big city liberal activist.

I think the ignorant and oversimplified stance of the media and the slacktivist groups is pathetic.

In terms of wages, it sounds like the workers are making far better than a living wage. They are spending about 1/3 of their income on housing and food. That means that they can pocket about half of what they make. That's far more than I have been able to manage recently.
  • Reply 59 of 180
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Disney Corporation owns the ABC News network. The fact that the Steve Jobs Trust is Disney?s largest individual shareholder, coupled with Disney CEO Bob Iger now having a seat on Apple?s board of directors, certainly helped win the official approval from Apple. It also raises questions on a possible conflict of interest with this report.

Hopefully justice is brought to these workers.

Let's not forget that Apple has been doing these audits and helping the workers for years.

It seems to me that slacktivists are attacking Apple even though they are the only ones actually doing anything to help the factory workers.

In fact, if it weren't for Apple's release of the full audits, most of this would never have come to light.
  • Reply 60 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Weir spoke to someone admittedly 17yo. Why is that too young? I was in college and living and working full time on my own at age 17.

2) With so many people vying for jobs at Foxconn why would Foxconn have to hire underage workers that would violate laws and/or contracts?

1) well... Its complicated, but probably not too young. But just curious because you tend to give the more reasoned responses in this forum...in your opinion, how young is enough to work in a factory 60 hours a week and why? IMO, it should be at the end of about 10 years of basic education. Enough to know if there is other oppurtunities. Now is 60 hours too much... Whole other discussion.

Wow, I remember when we had big factories with tons of manual labor. Sigh.

2) Is this a rhetorical question?