Qualcomm releases new Gobi universal mobile chips with LTE support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    If Apple adopt a larger screen size for the next iPhone and they use glass based on the new thinner gorilla glass this provides them with a larger space internally for a larger battery to offset the increased power drain for LTE.

Going by Apples playbook they will probably skip the first gen LTE hardware and wait till the 2013 iPhone to introduce it. After all, LTE is not rolling out in the rest of the world till early 2013.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

I get above 10Mbps on the 4S and I live in a tiny little village.

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/191108862.png

Its not hard to get if you have solid 3G networks. The iPhones 4S's 3G actually gets faster results then alot of 4G networks out there...

Nice... Is that on O2? If not, what 3G network?

After living on 3G for oh, five months, I finally have DSL at home. 15mbps or so. Ah, LTE, ye have big shoes to filleth.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

If Apple adopt a larger screen size for the next iPhone and they use glass based on the new thinner gorilla glass this provides them with a larger space internally for a larger battery to offset the increased power drain for LTE.

Going by Apples playbook they will probably skip the first gen LTE hardware and wait till the 2013 iPhone to introduce it. After all, LTE is not rolling out in the rest of the world till early 2013.

Is it me or does the iPhone 4S glass feel a bit more "plasticky" than the iPhone 4 or even 3GS? Just noticed it the other day. I think it's the "new and improved" formulation that has less cracking... And on the white 4S anyway the back design reduces cracking because the white bevel extends beyond the glass.

Okay, 'nite, gotta put all this bandwidth to better use than AI Forums.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Because of availability? Or something else? Curious.

Because they are just hitting sampling for hardware partners now, same with the Cortex A15 chips, it will be a few months before production ramps up enough and they're properly integrated with devices to be public facing (again think next iPhone). As S-X pointed out, these chips are actually behind by almost 6 months, Qualcomm had problems with design initially, so I'd rule out even some super secret fast tracked version special for Apple R&D too in this case.

Either Apple has optimized the crap out of the current baseband solution somehow or will follow the other side of the force with battery stuffing...if there's LTE at all.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Nice... Is that on O2? If not, what 3G network?

After living on 3G for oh, five months, I finally have DSL at home. 15mbps or so. Ah, LTE, ye have big shoes to filleth.

Three, all you can eat data. YUM
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

We won't see a "software sim", ever. The sim card is a separate computer with software that basically assigns one-use keys at a certain rate for crypto. The SIM card may also contain additional applications for other uses, and it's that undefined nature that will prevent a software SIM card from ever being used. If it was simple to download a sim card image for any carrier, it also becomes easy for it to be hacked by copying other users sim cards...

I don't have enough knowledge in this technology to give a intelligent reply, but I still say "I wouldn't say never." My thinking was when Apple came out with the iPad 3G it was software activated to a carrier on a month to month contract. What ever the technology, sim or otherwise, you had the option go on a 3G carrier, or not, at any time.

Later rumors say Apple was toying with bringing this type of activating option to the iPhone with the sim in software, or maybe it was a universal sim as a world iPhone. I don't know how it worked but anyway the carriers would hate the idea because it would open up competition. At the time Apple didn't have the market share clout to go up against the carriers. So rumor has it that Apple backed off the idea.

I believe they didn't forget about making one iPhone for every network and will come out with an unlocked universal iPhone. The new multi-network baseband chips that were just announced could make Apple's idea a reality. Apple now has the clout to push a universal activation system through software for its iPhone.

I don't think any device is hacker proof so why should we lose the connivence worrying about it. That argument was used against iTunes digital distribution or Internet banking, but hacking hasn't been a major concern. Encryption is much better today than it was in the past. Sure I know there are plenty of holes in my argument, but I think sims in software or internal chips (SOCs) are doable and will happen.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I don't have enough knowledge in this technology to give a intelligent reply, but I still say "I wouldn't say never." My thinking was when Apple came out with the iPad 3G it was software activated to a carrier on a month to month contract. What ever the technology, sim or otherwise, you had the option go on a 3G carrier, or not, at any time.

Later rumors say Apple was toying with bringing this type of activating option to the iPhone with the sim in software, or maybe it was a universal sim as a world iPhone. I don't know how it worked but anyway the carriers would hate the idea because it would open up competition. At the time Apple didn't have the market share clout to go up against the carriers. So rumor has it that Apple backed off the idea.

I believe they didn't forget about making one iPhone for every network and will come out with an unlocked universal iPhone. The new multi-network baseband chips that were just announced could make Apple's idea a reality. Apple now has the clout to push a universal activation system through software for its iPhone.

I don't think any device is hacker proof so why should we lose the connivence worrying about it. That argument was used against iTunes digital distribution or Internet banking, but hacking hasn't been a major concern. Encryption is much better today than it was in the past. Sure I know there are plenty of holes in my argument, but I think sims in software or internal chips (SOCs) are doable and will happen.

No carriers would hate it since it would he anti-competitive, also due to encryption a software SIM would be a huge security risk to GSM carriers.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

No carriers would hate it since it would he anti-competitive, also due to encryption a software SIM would be a huge security risk to GSM carriers.

I'm totally confused with your illogical reply.

How would my scenario as stated above be anti-competitive? It seems to me that having an unlocked iPhone offered by Apple that can work on any carriers' network would be more competitive, not less. Please explain.

Why would an encrypted SIM be a security risk to GSM or any other carriers? If you can't explain your logic, then you're talking through your butt or trolling. You need to put up or shut up.