Google reportedly prepping heads-up display Android eyeglasses for 2012 launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

This doesn't sound intrusive at all. Maybe the glasses can start tracking what people look at and make google services EVEN BETTER with more targeted ads! Augmented Reality while driving will be epic.

love gimmicks.

Yup the best way tech can "augment" my driving reality is to either drive the car by itself or make the car fly. Other than that, I'm happy just as it is with my iPhone in it's windshield holder thingy.
  • Reply 62 of 97
    Another step on the path that will lead to your Google implant, so they can show you ads related to what you are thinking about. If you don't want anyone to know what you are thinking, you shouldn't be thinking about it.
  • Reply 63 of 97
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    I am going to gaze into my crystal ball and predict that soon after the release of Google Glasses (TM) that news headlines around the world will report on an accident where a wearer walks into a street and is hit by a car because he was distracted by the device. Which will then lead to laws prohibiting the use of devices while walking, anti-distracted walking laws.
  • Reply 64 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The point isn't to get something ground breaking or useful on the market, the point is to get some basic concept in the air so that when Apple shows them how to do it correctly they can just follow suit and then say that it was either obvious all along or that they started it first.

i do agree with you on that.

google can't make a mobile phone with decent battery life yet i am to believe this thing won't need a large battery? Frankenstein i imagine.

while i totally hate Apple's stance on their products, they do usually make the product 'right' or not at all. The Stanford boys running google think everything is a school project that never really has to be fleshed out for consumption.
  • Reply 65 of 97
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    FWIW, 9to5Macs's Seth Weintraub has to say about it:

"On a personal note, I think this will be the most exciting technology product release this year."

I think many of you are being short-sighted simply because it's coming from Google rather than Apple, Microsoft or even some small tech startup.
  • Reply 66 of 97
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    ahh you guys never cease to get me laughing

When Apple releases their version of this tech 5 years from now everyone here will be parading about how "Apple finally got it right"

Doesn't really sound like Google is trying to create a mass market product here, rather a experimental socio-technological bridge tool. I know just about everyone here loves to rag on Google, but it sound pretty neat.
  • Reply 67 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Doesn't really sound like Google is trying to create a mass market product here, rather a experimental socio-technological bridge tool.

And that's what disgusts me about it.
  • Reply 68 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And that's what disgusts me about it.

Disgusting that it's not mass-market yet? Why?
  • Reply 69 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Please put DaHarder on your ignore list rather than respond.

Where is that list option? I don't see it listed in any menus. Or do you mean just ignore him?
  • Reply 70 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fh-ace View Post

Where is that list option? I don't see it listed in any menus. Or do you mean just ignore him?

Well, both work, but the forums have an actual Ignore option under your user control panel.
  • Reply 71 of 97
    Quote:

Well, both work, but the forums have an actual Ignore option under your user control panel.

Thanks
  • Reply 72 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fh-ace View Post

For the regulars who are probably more knowledgeable and able to refute claims, putting other members on ignore simply because you don't agree with them probably does more harm than good.

Consider that AI averages over 300K pageviews per day according to what I found. Your missing pair of eyes won't affect the 299,999 others who may see that post. By you ignoring the post, never seeing it, failing to call it out if it's false, it may indicate to casual readers that the claim is true instead.

Just a thought. This isn't just a little community of a couple dozen regulars. There's lots of eyes that pass thru here. Some of you regulars are being way short-sighted.

In actuality you couldn't do a bigger favor to those spreading half-truths than putting them on ignore. It makes it appear they were right all along if no one disagrees. Just an FYI.
  • Reply 73 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Consider that AI averages over 300K pageviews per day according to what I found. Your missing pair of eyes won't affect the 299,999 others who may see that post. By you ignoring the post, never seeing it, failing to call it out if it's false, it may indicate to casual readers that the claim is true instead.

In actuality you couldn't do a bigger favor to those spreading half-truths than putting them on ignore. It makes it appear they were right all along if no one disagrees. Just an FYI.

This. This is exactly why I'll never use the Ignore option.
  • Reply 74 of 97
    Quote:

This. This is exactly why I'll never use the Ignore option.

You're welcome. Just thought it was worth mentioning as I doubt some here ever thought it thru.

For those more interested in reading just pro-Apple views (perfectly valid reason for visiting IMO) and not engaging others who might disagree, using the ignore button is a fine choice. Otherwise it's not the best idea as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 75 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

ahh you guys never cease to get me laughing

When Apple releases their version of this tech 5 years from now everyone here will be parading about how "Apple finally got it right"

Doesn't really sound like Google is trying to create a mass market product here, rather a experimental socio-technological bridge tool. I know just about everyone here loves to rag on Google, but it sound pretty neat.

in all fairness a 'tablet' sounded neat too but no one made anything that didn't really stink till apple did it. even now 99% (or 100% depending on how you look at it lol) of competitors tablets still stink.

i LOVE the idea of a HUD but i don't want to have a 2 hour battery life on a gargantuan cludgy headset or some cable that dangles down to a big battery.
  • Reply 76 of 97
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    They’ve made heads-up glasses for years, iPod-video-compatible long before the iPhone, and I love the idea! Some let you see through the video, others are dark until you flip them up. I’ve been watching for them to come down in price and up in resolution. A niche product, sure, but still pretty cool. I want the idea to succeed, in Google’s hands or otherwise. (But I’d rather buy an accessory for my existing device I already carry, not an expensive cellular-enabled standalone glasses unit.)

Of course what I really want is a stereoscopic motion-tracking consumer HMD that is a) cheap and b) widely supported by games (and we’re getting there). Virtual reality is so awesome, and has caught on so amazingly slowly! I know it’s bad for the eyes in the long term but... so much fun!
  • Reply 77 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

They?ve made heads-up glasses for years. . .

... but HUD glasses like these with the capabilities and connectivity they're said to offer have never been made for consumers. Not at any price.
  • Reply 78 of 97
    google is amazing.
  • Reply 79 of 97
    "Sources said the eyewear would include a small screen intended to sit just a few inches from the user's eyes."

Has the FDA been castrated of all authority here as well as everywhere else?

"Insiders indicated that the glasses would not be designed for constant use, though some power users would likely choose to wear them a lot."

Ah, the earbud precedent moves on? "It's not our fault you're deaf/blind. We told you not to actually use what we sold you. You're just supposed to pay us for it and keep in in a drawer until we tell you it's time to buy a new one 14 months from now."

But all in all, I just can't wait. Spex and smart gloves. Yee hah. I've always felt I belonged in a Bruce Sterling novel. I can just see myself at some dinner party, looking around the room and clawing at the air like I'm fighting off killer bees, when in fact I'm just summoning a taxi to escape from people who serve wine in a box or otherwise fail to appreciate my genius.

I'll have to buy it online, though. "Eyewear" is one of those words I can't force past my larynx without wishing myself and everyone else dead.
  • Reply 80 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FWIW, 9to5Macs's Seth Weintraub has to say about it:

"On a personal note, I think this will be the most exciting technology product release this year."

I think many of you are being short-sighted simply because it's coming from Google rather than Apple, Microsoft or even some small tech startup.

I think it's mainly that people have come to expect crap from Google.