Safari user sues Google over claimed privacy violation

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interestingly Mountain Lion has links to upload videos to Vimeo... but not YouTube.

Precisely. And I wouldnt be surprised if we see Google Maps disappear and an "Apple owned" GPS app pop up on future iOS devices. Keep it up, Apple. Lets get rid of Google completely on all your devices. Backstabbers
  • Reply 82 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Youtube has become quite a bit more than home movies, but I digress. I don't believe anyone who uses a computer on a daily basis can refrain from clicking on a youtube link for 2 years.

It CAN be done, I know that for sure :-) I only touch my laptop like once a week now just to mess around with my iTunes acct. Been that way since I got my first iPhone LOL Everything I do online now is done on my phone!
  • Reply 83 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Google is laughing at your efforts. You have to do a lot more than that to stay out of Google's "Eye of Sauron". ( It should be the "Eye of Google" ! )

Do you visit any web sites that contain Google's advertisements? If so, Google is tracking each and every one of your page views on those sites. And correlating them with your visits to other sites and everything else they gather.

Do you visit any web sites that use Google analytics? Millions of sites do, just do View Source on the home page of your favorite sites and look for "analytics". Google is tracking each and every one of your visits there as well.

You many not use gmail, but how many of your friends do? Do they email you? Oops, all those conversations belong to Google as well.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture. It's good that you're aware enough of the problem to not use their services directly - it's a start, but you need to do a lot more to be even a little bit effective. As someone else mentioned, Little Snitch is awesome. Also, learn how to use your /etc/hosts file to outright block things like google's analytics, doubleclick, etc.

Beyond those things, make sure to let your friends and family know about these things. The biggest thing Google has in its favor is people's ignorance. That can be solved by education.

You're welcome. ;-)

VERY good post ;-) good job, thanx. I do see that stupid +1 button and Like button and Google and Facebook ads everywhere, thats unavoidable, but I do go through alot more than the average Joe to avoid the Google and Facebook World. Surprisingly, no one I know that I have to email has a gmail acct LOL odd, I know, but its true. Bellsouth.net, ATT.net, yahoo.com, msn.com, etc.

Awareness people! Ignorance about this evil company is definately an abundance out there!
  • Reply 84 of 109
    hexxhexx Posts: 40member
    to all safari users who don't like this stuff, just install adblock and do not track plus

i haven't seen any ads in my browser for last 3-4 months
  • Reply 85 of 109
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Google is laughing at your efforts. You have to do a lot more than that to stay out of Google's "Eye of Sauron". ( It should be the "Eye of Google" ! )

Do you visit any web sites that contain Google's advertisements? If so, Google is tracking each and every one of your page views on those sites. And correlating them with your visits to other sites and everything else they gather.

Do you visit any web sites that use Google analytics? Millions of sites do, just do View Source on the home page of your favorite sites and look for "analytics". Google is tracking each and every one of your visits there as well.

You many not use gmail, but how many of your friends do? Do they email you? Oops, all those conversations belong to Google as well.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture. It's good that you're aware enough of the problem to not use their services directly - it's a start, but you need to do a lot more to be even a little bit effective. As someone else mentioned, Little Snitch is awesome. Also, learn how to use your /etc/hosts file to outright block things like google's analytics, doubleclick, etc.

Beyond those things, make sure to let your friends and family know about these things. The biggest thing Google has in its favor is people's ignorance. That can be solved by education.

You're welcome. ;-)

While that's true, don't downplay even the minor efforts that people make.

I will not use Google search or Google Docs or any of the other products that are offered directly to consumers. If enough people do even that small amount, it will have an impact. For example, as specs show Google's search market share declining, it will affect Google's ability to get advertising as well as the advertising rates they can charge.

I also never click on ads. Even if I see something interesting in an ad, I will search for it (with Yahoo!) and then go there. Again, if people stop clicking on ads, it will reduce the amount that advertisers will pay.

Does Google care about my three computers? Nope. But if millions of people do the same thing, they HAVE to care.
  • Reply 86 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hexx View Post

to all safari users who don't like this stuff, just install adblock and do not track plus

i haven't seen any ads in my browser for last 3-4 months

No, that's not at all what we're talking about.
  • Reply 87 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I will not use Google search or Google Docs or any of the other products that are offered directly to consumers. If enough people do even that small amount, it will have an impact. For example, as specs show Google's search market share declining, it will affect Google's ability to get advertising as well as the advertising rates they can charge.

I also never click on ads. Even if I see something interesting in an ad, I will search for it (with Yahoo!) and then go there. Again, if people stop clicking on ads, it will reduce the amount that advertisers will pay.

Does Google care about my three computers? Nope. But if millions of people do the same thing, they HAVE to care.

nope, it won't change anything.

what needs to change is rules. there must be clearly defined set of rules which every company has to follow or face legal action.

there must clearly specified and explained in easy to understand manner to users what tracking and advertising is, how it works, how to opt-out.

there must be no room for fucking around it, simply either full compliance or face legal actions.

i hate ads and whole ads business model on the internet. i work as a web dev and yes, i do also implement some of this shit and it's nasty in so many ways.
  • Reply 88 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that's not at all what we're talking about.

you probably missed that DNP bit
  • Reply 89 of 109
    Quote:

you probably missed that DNP bit

No, I didn't. That doesn't work.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    Quote:

No, I didn't. That doesn't work.

could you please be more specific? i'd like to sort this stuff out once for all.

adblock and dnp seem to be doing the job for me but if you're aware of something please share with us.
  • Reply 91 of 109
    Quote:

could you please be more specific? i'd like to sort this stuff out once for all.

adblock and dnp seem to be doing the job for me but if you're aware of something please share with us.

AdBlock and the Do Not Track extensions don't stop these cookies from getting through. At least not for me.
  • Reply 92 of 109
    Quote:

AdBlock and the Do Not Track extensions don't stop these cookies from getting through. At least not for me.

have you also opted out from all ads networks via google's ads preferences and via NAI?
  • Reply 93 of 109
    Quote:

have you also opted out from all ads networks via google's ads preferences and via NAI?

Absolutely. Though? "Google's ad preferences"? that only sounds like it would do anything if I had an active Google account, either as an end-user or an advertiser, and I don't, really.
  • Reply 94 of 109
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not yet. They are seeking class action status.

sign me up!
  • Reply 95 of 109
    Quote:

Absolutely. Though… "Google's ad preferences"… that only sounds like it would do anything if I had an active Google account, either as an end-user or an advertiser, and I don't, really.

there are 2 states, for logged in and logged out users. as logged out you have different session ID, you can still opt out as logged out user:

http://www.google.com/settings/ads/onweb/
  • Reply 96 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I agree. I never click on ads either. Havent in over 10 yrs when the last time I did gave me a virus. So Ill also search through Yahoo for something that looks appealing in an ad. 9 times outta 10 its bogus anyway. So I dont do ads. Even if I see and ad for, say Chevrolet, I will open a new page and type in www.chevrolet.com cuz that is so much safer!

We just have to hit Google where it hurts. In their search and advertising business. Their share will start to decline sooner or later.
  • Reply 97 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDavid311 View Post

I agree. I never click on ads either. Havent in over 10 yrs when the last time I did gave me a virus. So Ill also search through Yahoo for something that looks appealing in an ad. 9 times outta 10 its bogus anyway. So I dont do ads. Even if I see and ad for, say Chevrolet, I will open a new page and type in www.chevrolet.com cuz that is so much safer!

We just have to hit Google where it hurts. In their search and advertising business. Their share will start to decline sooner or later.

it won't hurt them. google's revenue comes from ads. they own so many ads networks who implement their ads all over the place.

by not using google's search you're just getting away from ads displayed on google's search engine.

legislation needs to change. strict simple rules and punishment.
  • Reply 98 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

This is why I personally use a Littlesnitch, it told me about all Google little tricks of phoning home when I did not want them doing it. . .

The other thing I do when I use google for searching for information I run my connection via proxy server somewhere else in the world. This way they can not track it back to my home location. Face it Google goal in live is to know you better than you know yourself and then share that information with anyone who is willing to pay for. Most all of you freely give up your rights when you get free google accounts, you exchange your privacy for free things.

Meanwhile, back at your bank...

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/bank...py-on-you.aspx

Seems silly to be so concerned about a cookie on your computer in comparison, don't you think? Yeah, the cookie's weren't right. Tell me how you plan to control what bank and others in the credit and financial markets know about you. Perhaps deal only in cash? Shut down your cellphone too so the telcos can't track you either and record your texts, who you call and when? Live off the grid?
  • Reply 99 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Just an FYI...

Google's new unified privacy policy is to take effect March 1st. Rather than have several different and separate products each with their own published policy, Google will combine them all into one. While better and clearer in some ways, and certainly easier to "opt-out" of, it also unifies all your search and use results which some users might not be comfortable with.

If that's you, then read this and follow the instructions prior to March 1st. Easy enough to do and you can't say I didn't mention it.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/0...y-takes-effect
  • Reply 100 of 109
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

it won't hurt them. google's revenue comes from ads. they own so many ads networks who implement their ads all over the place.

by not using google's search you're just getting away from ads displayed on google's search engine.

legislation needs to change. strict simple rules and punishment.

But not clicking on ads DOES hurt them. As the click-through percentage drops, advertisers are likely to pay less per ad. In fact, this is already happening - ad rates have been falling for some time.