Upgrading a 2006 MacPro 2.66 GHz Machine

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
I have had my MacPro V1.1 machine, model MA356LL/A, for about 6 years, and it has performed perfectly. The only "changes" I have made are 1) added 2 more Gig of RAM, for a total of 3 Gig, and 2) replaced the Internal Hard Drive with a Seagate 1 Terabyte 7200 rpm drive. I would like to keep it, but it looks like Mountain Lion (OS 10.8) will not run on it.

I have been trying to sell it recently so that I can purchase a 21" iMac machine (model MC309LL/A, and that would easily be enough for me), but I am not getting any interest. I am selling my MacPro for $1150, and I am including a perfectly working Sony 19" monitor, an Apple Extended keyboard, an Apple Magic Mouse (actually, I will just use the one that comes with the iMac as part of the sale, and keep my (perfectly functional) Logitech mouse), and OS 10.7 (Lion).

As I mentioned, if I can keep the MacPro, I would, I am wondering, therefore, if I can upgrade the processor to one that is 1) compatible with Mountain Lion, and 2) is at least as fast as the processor I have now. Also, and excuse me for being a novice at this, but I am using Comcast as my ISP, and I have an Arris DOCSIS 3.0/EMTA modem, and a Netgear 802b/g/n router. How can I tell if I am "connecting" at 802.11n? If I'm not, how do I upgrade to 802.11n?

Any information/advice/assistance etc. would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    You can't upgrade the processor to anything Mountain Lion compatible.

Check to see if your Wi-Fi chip is even capable of 802.11n. I'm pretty sure they were, and if so you already are, but if not, I think you can put in one of the newer Mac Pros' Wi-Fi chips.

If you want to sell it, you'll need to get WAY more than 3GB of RAM since absolutely no one wants to deal with FB-DIMMs anymore. Even OWC has RAM fairly cheap, and they're not even the cheap end of the scale.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Check to see if your Wi-Fi chip is even capable of 802.11n. I'm pretty sure they were, and if so you already are, but if not, I think you can put in one of the newer Mac Pros' Wi-Fi chips.

If you want to sell it, you'll need to get WAY more than 3GB of RAM since absolutely no one wants to deal with FB-DIMMs anymore. Even OWC has RAM fairly cheap, and they're not even the cheap end of the scale.

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to upgrade it, but it looks like that's out.

Yeah, I've thought about increasing the RAM by 2 gig, but yes, such an upgrade is not that cheap. I believe the cheapest I can upgrade for is about $60. If such a "small" investment could just about guarantee me a sale, I'd do it in a heart beat.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Also, regarding how to check if the Wi-Fi chip is even capable of 802.11n, here is what it says, via System Profiler, under Network/Airport:

Software Versions:

Menu Extrat6.2.2 (622.2)

configd plug-int6.2.5 (625.6)

System Profilert6.0.1 (601.1)

Network Preferencet6.2.2 (622.2)

AirPort Utilityt5.4.2 (542.23)

IO80211 Familyt3.2 (320.1)

I am running the latest version of Snow Leopard, OS 10.6.8.

If someone could explain this to me, that would be helpful.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akent35 View Post

Also, regarding how to check if the Wi-Fi chip is even capable of 802.11n, here is what it says, via System Profiler, under Network/Airport:

Software Versions:

Menu Extrat6.2.2 (622.2)

configd plug-int6.2.5 (625.6)

System Profilert6.0.1 (601.1)

Network Preferencet6.2.2 (622.2)

AirPort Utilityt5.4.2 (542.23)

IO80211 Familyt3.2 (320.1)

I am running the latest version of Snow Leopard, OS 10.6.8.

If someone could explain this to me, that would be helpful.

It should say a lot more below that, under interfaces. Specifically it should list supported modes.

If that is all that is listed then it doesn't have a wireless card.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It should say a lot more below that, under interfaces. Specifically it should list supported modes.

If that is all that is listed then it doesn't have a wireless card.

I posted the wrong information. Here is what it says under Network/Locations:

"Automatic:

Active LocationtYes

Services:

Ethernet 1:

TypetEthernet

BSD Device Nameten0

Hardware (MAC) Addresst00:17:f2:04:99:c0

IPv4:

Configuration MethodtDHCP

IPv6:

Configuration MethodtAutomatic

Proxies:

FTP Proxy EnabledtNo

FTP Passive ModetYes

Gopher Proxy EnabledtNo

HTTP Proxy EnabledtNo

HTTPS Proxy EnabledtNo

RTSP Proxy EnabledtNo

SOCKS Proxy EnabledtNo

Ethernet 2:

TypetEthernet

BSD Device Nameten1

Hardware (MAC) Addresst00:17:f2:04:99:c1

IPv4:

IPv6:

Proxies:

Proxy Configuration Methodt2

Exclude Simple HostnamestNo

FTP Passive ModetYes

Auto Discovery EnabledtNo

FireWire:

TypetFireWire

BSD Device Nametfw0

Hardware (MAC) Addresst00:16:cb:ff:fe:70:78:ea

IPv4:

IPv6:

Proxies:

FTP Passive ModetYes

Auto Discovery EnabledtNo"

Something on that list should indicated if I am connecting at 802.11n, right?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

I posted the wrong information. Here is what it says under Network/Locations:

"Automatic:

Active LocationtYes

Services:

Ethernet 1:

TypetEthernet

BSD Device Nameten0

Hardware (MAC) Addresst00:17:f2:04:99:c0

IPv4:

IPv6:

Proxies:

FTP Proxy EnabledtNo

FTP Passive ModetYes

Gopher Proxy EnabledtNo

HTTP Proxy EnabledtNo

HTTPS Proxy EnabledtNo

RTSP Proxy EnabledtNo

SOCKS Proxy EnabledtNo

Ethernet 2:

TypetEthernet

BSD Device Nameten1

Hardware (MAC) Addresst00:17:f2:04:99:c1

IPv4:

IPv6:

Proxies:

FTP Passive ModetYes

Auto Discovery EnabledtNo

FireWire:

TypetFireWire

BSD Device Nametfw0

Hardware (MAC) Addresst00:16:cb:ff:fe:70:78:ea

IPv4:

IPv6:

Proxies:

FTP Passive ModetYes

Auto Discovery EnabledtNo"

Something on that list should indicated if I am connecting at 802.11n, right?

No - you were in the correct place first time - Network/Airport. However, all that you showed were the installed software versions. In the same section, if you have an airport card installed, below "Software Versions" will be "Interfaces", where the card type, firmware, MAC address etc. will be reported.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I haven't been following Mountain Lion news. Why won't the original 1996 MacPro run on Mountain Lion?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I haven't been following Mountain Lion news. Why won't the original 1996 MacPro run on Mountain Lion?

Well, it's about a decade and a half too old, is all.

It has 32-bit EFI, which apparently isn't supported.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Yes, seems you got an inner sight to this...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

No - you were in the correct place first time - Network/Airport. However, all that you showed were the installed software versions. In the same section, if you have an airport card installed, below "Software Versions" will be "Interfaces", where the card type, firmware, MAC address etc. will be reported.

Please excuse me for being somewhat "naive" about this, but why do I need an Airport card on a MacPro, unless the Ethernet "connectivity" is only capable to "connecting" at 802.11g? My Netgear router is 802.11n capable, so my MacPro (via the Ethernet connection) would need to communicate with it. If it's only capable of communicating 802.11g, then I understand.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Please excuse me for being somewhat "naive" about this, but why do I need an Airport card on a MacPro, unless the Ethernet "connectivity" is only capable to "connecting" at 802.11g? My Netgear router is 802.11n capable, so my MacPro (via the Ethernet connection) would need to communicate with it. If it's only capable of communicating 802.11g, then I understand.

Ah - I understand. You confused everyone by asking if you could connect at 802.11n. That's a wireless specification, not a connection speed, so it seemed like you were asking how fast the

Airport card in your Mac Pro is.

To answer your real question (I think) - your Mac Pro wired ethernet interfaces are gigabit, provided that you use Cat 5 cable or better. Much faster than your ISP and faster than 802.11n, which is up to 600 Mb/s. Even 802.11g, at 54 Mb/s, will likely be faster than your ISP unless you are on Comcast's latest fiber optic connection.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey there!

I was looking to buy a similar machine from a friend of mine (specs below). Its currently running 10.6.8 but of course I'd like to upgrade it to at least Mountain Lion; could you tell me WHY it cant be upgraded to run Mtn Lion?

Model number: A1186-2113

Mac Pro MA356LL/A

MacPro1,1

Processor: 2 x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

RAM: 5GB 667MHz DDR2 F8-DIMM

• Reply 13 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by hexum311ad View Post

could you tell me WHY it cant be upgraded to run Mtn Lion?

I want to say that it’s because the first-gen Mac Pro wasn’t 64-bit from top to bottom, but I’m not 100%.