U.S. Air Force Special Operations Command abruptly cancels iPad 2 order

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's a good thing that you're not in control of national security or important military matters.

Russia is certainly no ally of the USA and they usually side with every evil country in the world and enemies of the US, whenever there are conflicts.

Osama Bin Laden's rise to prominence was a creation of the US, based on being funded and armed to fight the Russians in Afghanistan.

Which didn't exactly work out so well for those "in control of national security or important military matters" at that time.
  • Reply 22 of 93
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

Evil. Lol. You mean every country that is not aligned with US policies or way of life is evil, right?

Nope. I mean nothing of the sort.
  • Reply 23 of 93
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garion View Post

Oh, and about them Russians? I don't know if you know this, but erhm ... the Soviet Union kinda went belly-up two Decades ago. Yup, that's right, Sir. They ain't commies no more. Just thought you might want to know.

*salutes and facepalms*

You don't read the news much these days, do you?
  • Reply 24 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Osama Bin Laden's rise to prominence was a creation of the US, based on being funded and armed to fight the Russians in Afghanistan.

Which didn't exactly work out so well for those "in control of national security or important military matters" at that time.

And what does that have to do with the topic? Can Russian software be trusted for use by the US military? The answer is no.

The US has made many blunders in the past, some worse than others, and it will certainly make blunders in the future. Your point being?
  • Reply 25 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coojo View Post

probably like me got galaxy tab 10.1 instead.

you could be right

http://www.mobileburn.com/18449/news...-for-field-use
  • Reply 26 of 93
    Quote:

And what does that have to do with the topic? Can Russian software be trusted for use by the US military? The answer is no.

The US has made many blunders in the past, some worse than others, and it will certainly make blunders in the future. Your point being?

That wrong decisions are made, no matter who is making them, that good can be evil and visa versa depending on time and place.

In relation to your previous comment that I was replying to.

When I was young, here in Australia the mantra they were drumming into us was "All the way with LBJ" part of that whole "Reds under the bed","Domino Theory", "Yellow Peril" thing.

You'd think America would have moved on by now.
  • Reply 27 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The thread is starting to lean a bit too far into politics. \
  • Reply 28 of 93
    Quote:

When I was young, here in Australia the mantra they were drumming into us was "All the way with LBJ" part of that whole "Reds under the bed","Domino Theory", "Yellow Peril" thing.

The cold war was a very real threat and I'm sure you'll remember that there were Russian missiles right next door to the US for a short time.

What do you mean by move on? Russia is still not any friend of the US. There is no cold war anymore, but Russia is definitely no ally of the US.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    Meanwhile in America, fear and paranoia is still the best weapon. Followed by lawsuits (and counter lawsuits). The masses then enjoins by petitions. Ah, the freedom of life. /s
  • Reply 30 of 93
    Quote:

The cold war was a very real threat and I'm sure you'll remember that there were Russian missiles right next door to the US for a short time.

What do you mean by move on? Russia is still not any friend of the US. There is no cold war anymore, but Russia is definitely no ally of the US.

The world is a capitalist playground, so much for the level playing field.

Disable wifi and sync the iPads with DOD servers with hardware based encryption and there is complete control of the software on it, no matter what the source.

Or better yet pay some Americans to come up with an alternative to this Russian software, it's a document reader, how hard can it be?
  • Reply 31 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Meanwhile in America, fear and paranoia is still the best weapon.

I don't see how you can say that when you live in a Big Brother type country where the average person is captured about 70 times a day!
  • Reply 32 of 93
    Quote:

Or better yet pay some Americans to come up with an alternative to this Russian software, it's a document reader, how hard can it be?

That's precisely what the military would do, if they deemed it necessary. If somebody doesn't trust somebody else, then simply do it yourselves. That's the obvious solution.
  • Reply 33 of 93
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Waiting for iPad 3, perhaps

The first thing I thought too.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garion View Post

Hey, US AirForce? It's even worse than that! The iPads you've ordered were all built in China! You know ... communist China!

Oh, and about them Russians? I don't know if you know this, but erhm ... the Soviet Union kinda went belly-up two Decades ago. Yup, that's right, Sir. They ain't commies no more. Just thought you might want to know.

*salutes and facepalms*

Russia is still the bully they used to be. They started up the practice of sending bombers to Alaska and Canada to see if we would attack them . They still do these kinds of things and its in the millitaries best intrests to not use russian made software.
  • Reply 35 of 93
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

That wrong decisions are made, no matter who is making them, that good can be evil and visa versa depending on time and place.

In relation to your previous comment that I was replying to.

I think about half have.
  • Reply 36 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

If I were them I?d want custom-developed Air-Force-Only software. Developed under their control and to their specs.

I don't know the madeby the air force part, but certainly there is a better way than just PDFs in a reader. Like one thing with search tools and the ability to push updates to the devices
  • Reply 37 of 93
    Oooooh, Yuri Selukoff is insulted...better back off US Military and use the software, we can't afford to piss off a software engineer in Russia who can't see the bigger picture.
  • Reply 38 of 93
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

It's a good thing that you're not in control of national security or important military matters.

Russia is certainly no ally of the USA and they usually side with every evil country in the world and enemies of the US, whenever there are conflicts.

I understand what you are trying to say but oversimplifications of this nature (good v evil) which fail to accommodate the actual complexity of the circumstances are generally not helpful?
  • Reply 39 of 93
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

That was my first thought too... but I wouldn't trust their intel to be that reliable.
  • Reply 40 of 93
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

They've probably been shown an iPad3 prototype already.