Safari user sues Google over claimed privacy violation

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Everybody hop on the burn Google bandwagon!! Most people are blowing this waaay out of proportion, either due to ignorance, misunderstanding, or an over eager willingness to bash google. Ridiculous.

Where's your argument? What misunderstandings, please explain? They are circumventing a users privacy settings. Why is that okay?
  • Reply 102 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to the WSJ, Google disabled the "workaround" a few days ago after being outed and no longer uses it. The cookie reloading issue you have probably isn't due to Google now. More likely the same trick that Google used is still in action served up by various other websites.

EDIT: I was searching background on Stanford researcher Jonathan Mayer who reported Google's use of the Safari backdoor (apparently first blogged about a couple of years ago? And Apple had no idea?) and see that this cookie-fest isn't his first. He's apparently a well-regarded expert having outed Microsoft in August last year for it's use of Super-cookies. Nearly impossible to delete and with no opt-out button for . . . Safari or Google's Chrome? Like Google they said it was unintentional of course.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/mi...s-it-20110822/

You always seem to try to find some rationalization for Google's anti consumer behavior. Why is that? It's just wrong, no matter who is doing it. MS did it! Other's are doing it! So therefore Google is just doing what others have already done! Nice.
  • Reply 103 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

You always seem to try to find some rationalization for Google's anti consumer behavior. Why is that? It's just wrong, no matter who is doing it. MS did it! Other's are doing it! So therefore Google is just doing what others have already done! Nice.

I've consistently said Google's bypassing of Safari cookie controls wasn't right and I didn't agree with it.

The point of that particular link is noting that MS isn't entering the discussion with clean hands. Their complaint isn't out of an overwhelming sense that dropping cookies that users might not be aware of is just wrong. That doesn't make it OK for Google.
  • Reply 104 of 109
    Quote:

Meanwhile, back at your bank...

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/bank...py-on-you.aspx

Seems silly to be so concerned about a cookie on your computer in comparison, don't you think? Yeah, the cookie's weren't right. Tell me how you plan to control what bank and others in the credit and financial markets know about you. Perhaps deal only in cash? Shut down your cellphone too so the telcos can't track you either and record your texts, who you call and when? Live off the grid?

Nice spin. The concern is the blatant circumvention of the users wishes. Makes you wonder what else they are doing. As soon as they get caught & it becomes an issue they say they have stopped doing it. If nothing is wrong with the practice why stop? Google is burning a lot of bridges.
  • Reply 105 of 109
    Quote:

I've consistently said Google's bypassing of Safari cookie controls wasn't right and I didn't agree with it.

The point of that particular link is noting that MS isn't entering the discussion with clean hands. Their complaint isn't out of an overwhelming sense that dropping cookies that users might not be aware of is just wrong. That doesn't make it OK for Google.

Thanks for clarifying.
  • Reply 106 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Thanks for clarifying.

You are welcome
  • Reply 107 of 109
    Hi - An old one but related. Does anybody have any ideas how to stop cookies in Safari? Even with Private Browsing on I still get dozens of cookies from mystery sources appearing literally seconds after I delete all cookies.

I'm working on switching to Opera at the moment - a royal pain because I spent a ton of time getting my safari bookmarks the way I want - hundreds of them. I really don't want to have to abandon all that, but the heck if I will be tracked and spammed by Google.

Oh, and as far as what can we do about Google? I just terminated my youtube account. Vimeo is fine - and youtube is kind of a royal waste of time. I nuked all of my google reader links - using netnewswire now. Changed Google from my default search. And I am seriously thinking of killing my gmail account. Seriously - the only way that company works is if they have traffic. While disruptive, it is really not that hard to vote with one's feet. I sure do not miss my olde hotmail account, and I am thinking that gmail is rapidly becoming more trouble than it's worth. Let's see their traffic drop by 50% - perhaps that will get them to recall that bit about not being evil.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maczIzKool View Post

Hi - An old one but related. Does anybody have any ideas how to stop cookies in Safari? Even with Private Browsing on I still get dozens of cookies from mystery sources appearing literally seconds after I delete all cookies.

Have you enabled Block cookies: Always in Settings?
  • Reply 109 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Have you enabled Block cookies: Always in Settings?

Yes, of course! I had "Block Cookies" set to "From third parties and advertisers" but noticed tons of spam cookies piling up.

So I switched "Block cookies" to "Always" And they STILL show up. As I write this I have it set to "always" and have eight random cookies that showed up in the last 60 seconds since clicking "Remove All" Including one from Google.

Latest version of snow leopard in place - I'm pretty religious about system updates and version updates, though I'm sticking with Snow Leopard for now due to some technical software I use.