Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: Apple overhauls software updates, App Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't think Safari Extensions should be added to the App Store. Browsers are now moving away from allowing any kind of plug ins or extensions, for security reasons. Safari Extensions were a misstep and should be deprecated.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think Safari Extensions should be added to the App Store. Browsers are now moving away from allowing any kind of plug ins or extensions, for security reasons. Safari Extensions were a misstep and should be deprecated.

Interesting. I can see the issue with security but I can also see this being an issue with usability and potentially losing browser marketshare to vendors that do offer extensions. Do you think extension will be removed from Safari or just think they should?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm surprised no one has covered the dramatic changes to Preview in Mountain Lion yet.

By all means tell us. Thanks to Preview I have not touched Adobe's solutions for ages, so for me it is very important.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martinmi View Post

Once "Software Update" is merged into the Mac App Store, I (and millions of others) will face a major problem.

I have many Apple Programs that I purchased (with Serial #'s [and some without]) (example: iWork (Pages, Numbers, & Keynote), Aperture,etc... which were purchased before the Mac App Store was released. All of those programs are now in the store, however, they all have a price next to them and do not show as "installed" (since I didn't buy them in the Mac App Store.)

How can we update them once "Software Update" is gone. The Mac AppStore doesn't know we bought them legally.

I am concerned about this, too. Same boat, even the updated iLife. It would make sense to just merge us in somehow, but not sure if it is happening.

Anyone know? I guess the only way to know would be someone who has a dev preview, an Apple app that needs an update (iPhoto, iWork), that they bought on disc.

Anyone have this situation that tried it yet?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird View Post

I am concerned about this, too. Same boat, even the updated iLife. It would make sense to just merge us in somehow, but not sure if it is happening.

Anyone know? I guess the only way to know would be someone who has a dev preview, an Apple app that needs an update (iPhoto, iWork), that they bought on disc.

Anyone have this situation that tried it yet?

http://macdailynews.com/2012/02/17/o...store-account/

"The Mountain Lion App Store will automatically detect any app that has historically been updated through Software Update and ask to register it to your Apple ID, along with a unique hardware identifier,? Brownlee reports. ?What this means is that the App Store will soon be able to update select Apple apps that were purchased outside of the App Store.?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interesting. I can see the issue with security but I can also see this being an issue with usability and potentially losing browser marketshare to vendors that do offer extensions. Do you think extension will be removed from Safari or just think they should?

I think they will hang around for a couple more major releases, hardly being used, and then in Safari 7 or 8 they will quietly be removed, a one-line item in the release notes.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:

We JUST got them and you want them gone? That's insane. Extensions exist to provide us the features that Apple refuses to add themselves. Or at least give them to us years before Apple would otherwise.

Quote:

I think they will hang around for a couple more major releases, hardly being used, and then in Safari 7 or 8 they will quietly be removed, a one-line item in the release notes.

And I think they'll never be removed. With good reason. "Hardly being used"?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    While I welcome an update to the App Store, I have seen absolutely no mention of the biggest obstacles to my using the App Store more.

First, they absolutely, positively need to add a way to move from an App purchased outside of the App Store to the App Store model without having to rebuy the thing. I have numerous applications that I bought before there even was an App Store, which now have App Store equivalents that I would love to move over. However, I am not going to buy them again at full price just for the privilege.

Second, they need to add a way for upgrade pricing to the App Store. Upgrade price reductions for loyal customers has been a part of software sales since the beginning. Why Apple thinks that it isn't needed now is beyond me, and again. When it comes time to upgrade and an application upgrade can be bought outside of the App Store with an upgrade discount or through the App Store for full price, I can assure you that I am not going to pay a premium for the "pleasure" of using the App Store. There aren't that many benefits, yet.

Third, they need to add a way to support bundles. I have bought a few bundles over the last couple of years. In fact, that has been my primary way of buying applications lately.

So, yeah, a reworked store interface will be nice and all, but it is the underlying business model that they need to address to bring more people to the store. At least, in my opinion.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple released the Mac App Store one year ago, rushing to add an iOS-like software store to the Mac desktop with such haste that it just couldn't wait until the release of OS X Lion, bundling it instead with OS X 10.6.6. Apple subsequently used the Mac App Store as the primary way to distribute Lion itself last July.

Nice hyperbole.

Perhaps Apple didn't rush anything but wanted it in place for Lion so they could do this switch in steps. First round they push for folks to update online but they still added the USB stick for those that didn't want to go that way (and still sell Snow Leopard CDs online for those that do but don't have the right software). Next round they go online only, dropping the stick if as they thought they would find, there wasn't really a large group asking for it.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martinmi View Post

I have many Apple Programs that I purchased (with Serial #'s [and some without]) (example: iWork (Pages, Numbers, & Keynote), Aperture,etc... which were purchased before the Mac App Store was released. All of those programs are now in the store, however, they all have a price next to them and do not show as "installed" (since I didn't buy them in the Mac App Store.)

Those might stay in Software update for a little while longer or MAS could be updated to recognize them or give you some way to validate via entering that serial number.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Those might stay in Software update for a little while longer or MAS could be updated to recognize them or give you some way to validate via entering that serial number.

AdeFowler already covered this above