Amazon gearing up to launch 10-inch Kindle Fire in Q2 2012 - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    People shouldn't buy a stinky KindleFire 2.

They should get an iPad 3, instead.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Besides people who are desperately broke and people who don't have very high standards, what market is there for a 10" Amazon tablet?

No market, I'm thinking. The kinds of people that would buy the Amazon Tablet don't have the internets, but they do have a whopping big CB rig. If Walmart don't sell it, they don't need it.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

MS needs to make a bold move too...

MS hasn't made a bold move since the monkey danced at the developer's conference a few years back.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

MS hasn't made a bold move since the monkey danced at the developer's conference a few years back.

Which is fine. There is plenty of evidence in the nature that leaders (apex hunters) are less successful overall than those that follow. MS might not be very good at coming up with ideas but they tend to eventually make a good go at profiting from riding others innovation coattails. It's certainly working for Samsung.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It better have a retina display, unless it?s aimed at something other than reading text!
  • Reply 66 of 72
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So you consider the Fire, with no cameras, no 3G, no GPS, an ancient , highly customized version of Android, little in the way of productive apps, as keeping Apple on its toes?

Yep, at $199 I do. I'm not saying Amazon is going to compete directly on the hardware level but their "cloud" solution works pretty damn good and their hardware is only going to get better as time goes along. Remember, Apple is only one generation back from having a tablet with no cameras or GPS on their Wi-Fi only model. I imagine Amazon including those in their next generation.

You better hope some one like Amazon can keep Apple on its toes otherwise expect the continuation of mysterious half-assed cloud solutions and processor spec bumps in the near future.

When the iPad 3 is released my Kindle will be used a heck of a lot less, but between it and my iPhone, the Kindle has served its purpose well up to now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Half the size, half the storage, no cameras at all, not as many apps...

I'm all for competition... pushing others to innovate more.

But I really don't think Apple is taking notes from Amazon at this point.

Maybe if Apple made a tiny, cheaper version of the iPad... maybe...

Agreed, many fanboys though are missing the point. It can happen. Remember, the Fire is the only tablet to have some relevance 3 months after its release. Other than Apple Amazon is the only company to have some success at the tablet market, granted the Kindle and iPad are currently two different markets.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

If they [amazon] sell a 10" machine at $250, it more or less forces Apple to drop the cost of entry. That's a good thing for consumers, if not the shareholders

Bingo!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Besides people who are desperately broke and people who don't have very high standards, what market is there for a 10" Amazon tablet?

With all your money I'm surprised your high standards allow you to hang with us commoners... Look, if Amazon can keep the price down I think there is plenty of room for them to be a player. Kindles may not be the solution for anyone who visits this site, but compared to the rest of the world we are in the minority compared to the number of people who don't yet own a tablet.

Apple is just crushing, and I hope they continue to do so, the potential tablet market is still too young and untapped to suggest "Apple has won".
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Agreed, many fanboys though are missing the point. It can happen. Remember, the Fire is the only tablet to have some relevance 3 months after its release. Other than Apple Amazon is the only company to have some success at the tablet market, granted the Kindle and iPad are currently two different markets.

It might be a little early to say that Amazon has had a success with the Kindle Fire.

Sure... Amazon has sold millions of them... but they are essentially making ZERO dollars on each one.

This is a long-tail game where Amazon will have to make up profit with app sales, music and movies.

There are reports that Amazon will eventually make $186 from every Kindle Fire user. I hope they do.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

It might be a little early to say that Amazon has had a success with the Kindle Fire.

Sure... Amazon has sold millions of them... but they are essentially making ZERO dollars on each one.

This is a long-tail game where Amazon will have to make up profit with app sales, music and movies.

There are reports that Amazon will eventually make $186 from every Kindle Fire user. I hope they do.

Agreed. I think Apple's business model is considerably better. Make money up front on the hardware AND later with content sales. I think Amazon could have gotten another $50 for the Fire and put a little money in the bank right from the start. Even if they would have went with $225 that would have given them an extra ~ $75 mil on 3 mil units. I doubt there would have been any lost sales because of an extra $25, especially at Christmas time.

Thanks Michael for the intelligent discussion. You don't see a whole lot of that in these forums...
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

Don't think that will happen. If Apple does consider selling a lower price iPad, I think they should make up the margins lost by selling the new iPad 3 as the iPad HD Pro (retina display) at $599. However, Apple doesn't usually raise prices for newer products, so this ain't gonna happen.

Hell go to Apple.com you can get an Apple Certified Refurbished iPad 16GB for $299 when they have them
  • Reply 70 of 72
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    A 10 inch Amazon tablet will eat up marketshare.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see this line up...
    $399 ? 16GB WiFi iPad 2

$499 ? 16GB WiFi iPad 3 (add $129 for cellular)

$599 ? 32GB WiFi iPad 3 (add $129 for cellular)

$699 ? 64GB WiFi iPad 3 (add $129 for cellular)
    I hope that they can double the capacity for the same price points this year but I think that the Retina Display may effect the cost. I'm not even that convinced that the Retina Display will be cheap enough and in high enough yields to be on every iPad 3. I'm assuming 80-100 million iPads over the next year and possibly even making more profit than the iPhone.

A $399 iPad2 would basically shut down android tablet sales except for on the very low end of $99 garbage tablets.

It really is the competition's worst nightmare, especially with a reveal right after MWC. Talk about sucking the wind out of their sails.

Unless there is some utterly innovative show stopper revealed at MWC, I can't see anything standing toe to toe with the iPad3 and not getting crushed.

Then again, I don't care. I'll be line to get my iPad3 on day one.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

A 10 inch Amazon tablet will eat up marketshare.

Of all other Android tablets, yep.

Oh, you meant of the iPad! No, no no.