Briefly: Apple corrects 'Nightline'; Kodak ITC suit; Samsung Galaxy S II hits 20M

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

After ABC Nightline's special episode on Apple's supply chain ran on Tuesday, the iPad maker has issued a correction on one claim by the show, while the U.S. International Trade Commission has agreed to investigate a recent lawsuit brought by ailing Eastman Kodak against Apple and HTC. Finally, Samsung announced on Thursday that it has sold 20 million Galaxy S II units since the smartphone launched last April.

iFactory

"iFactory: Inside Apple" aired late Tuesday night and was widely reported as containing few real surprises. Throughout the 30-minute broadcast, reporter Bill Weir toured facilities and interviewed Foxconn workers, as well as executives at the company and the Fair Labor Association.

ABC News reported on Wednesday that Apple, Foxconn and the FLA each responded to the report with their own corrections and clarifications.

In particular, Apple took issue with the translation of a worker's response that she processed 6,000 units per day in her role.

“In manufacturing parlance this is called deburring. Her line processes 3,000 units per shift, with two shifts per day for a total of 6,000. A single operator at Ms. Zhou’s station would deburr 3,000 iPads in a shift,” Apple said in a statement.

The company attributed the confusion to a mistranslation, asserting that it was impossible for the worker to work back-to-back 12-hour shifts and stay on for her next day's shift, effectively working 36 hours straight.

Foxconn workers "deburr" the Apple logo on an iPad component. | Credit: Almin Karamehmedovic/ABC News

Foxconn spoke up to correct the accusation that starting pay at Foxconn is too low for payroll tax withdrawal.

“We have over 75 percent of the employees in the category of earning at least 2,200 RMB ($349/month) basic compensation standard. That means they are earning 13.75 RMB ($2.18) per hour. If they work overtime on the weekend, they will earn 27 RMB ($4.28) per hour. In order to reach 3500 to be taxable, they will have to work 47 OT hours to reach 3,500,” the company said.

“If the overtime hours are in weekdays, they have to work around 63 hours per month to reach that level of salary to be taxable,” the statement read, adding that the assertion is only true "when applying to the entry-level workers while over 75 percent are already over the probation and earning more than 2,200 RMB basic salary.”

Foxconn responded to criticism last week by promising wage increases of between 16 to 25 percent for its workers.

Fair Labor Association president Auret van Heerden told ABC News that discussions with Apple to join the association began in April 2007. They eventually broke down in March 2008, but were picked back up when the FLA did some pilot survey work for the company.

"That pilot led to a second activity that I believe contributed to the decision to join the FLA at the end of 2011. I, of course, cannot speak for Apple but I do believe that the decision to join was probably taken some months before (and therefore well before) The New York Times articles.”

The Times caused a stir last month when it published a report citing several anonymous former Apple executives who claimed Apple was aware of egregious labor rights violations within its supply chain but chose to ignore them.

Apple announced that it was joining the FLA last month with the release of its annual supplier responsibility report. Inspections from the FLA began last week, with van Heerden declaring that conditions at Foxconn were better than average. However, one non-profit organization claims Foxconn management were "prepared" for the inspections and tried to hide away violations that would have been flagged. van Heerden has said he expected the manufacturer to put on a show and committed the organization to doing a "bottom up" assessment to ferret out any violations.

Kodak

Even as the once-mighty photography giant is fighting for survival after filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, Kodak will have another chance to milk its intellectual property for settlement money.

The ITC announced Wednesday (via Bloomberg) that it would look into a complaint filed by Kodak against Apple and HTC on Jan. 10, 2012 over patents related to image transmission. Apple's iPad and iPhone are named in the suit, as well as HTC's Flyer tablet and Wildfire S phone.

The case will proceed while Kodak's patents are expected to eventually make their way to the auction block as part of the bankruptcy proceedings. Apple has actually asked permission from the bankruptcy court to sue Kodak, alleging further patent infringement beyond cases it has already brought against the company. Meanwhile, a ruling on the original Kodak ITC lawsuit against Apple has been postponed until late this year.

Samsung Galaxy S II

South Korean electronics maker Samsung announced a milestone on Thursday, touting 20 million unit sales of its Galaxy S II smartphone in less than a year, Reuters reports. Samsung's last-generation Galaxy S handset reached 22 million in sales since the device was launched in 2010, the company's statement also noted.

The company has been relatively tight-lipped about smartphone unit shipments in recent quarters, leaving analysts scrambling to generate estimates to compare it against rival Apple. Market research firm IDC said earlier this month that it believes Samsung sold 94 million smartphones last fiscal year and more than 30 million alone in the December quarter.

Samsung Galaxy S II, photo via Cnet.

Buoyed by the international success of its iPhone 4S, Apple saw record iPhone sales of 37 million units in the December quarter. For calendar 2011, Apple had a total of 93 million iPhones sold, ending up just behind estimates of Samsung's tally for the year.

The fierce competition between Apple and Samsung has spread to the courtroom, as the two companies are locked in a tense disagreement over patents. Apple has, in fact, targeted the Galaxy S II in some of its lawsuits, asking courts to ban sales of the allegedly infringing device.

Samsung has also fought back with a series of television ads that mock customers waiting in line for a new iPhone. The company even purchased highly-coveted Super Bowl commercial space to downplay the iPhone and promote the U.S launch of its Galaxy Note hybrid phone/tablet.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    20 million in sales is pretty impressive.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Sales or shipped?

Either way, even though it looks like a toy to me, Apple needs competition even if people feel it can still make great products without it. It would be nice though if that competition came without such blatant copying.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

20 million in sales is pretty impressive.

Pity that Samsung has a habit of giving out sales to resellers rather thn end users. So thT could be 20 million sold to go on shelves, but much less in actual users hands
  • Reply 4 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Pity that Samsung has a habit of giving out sales to resellers rather thn end users. So thT could be 20 million sold to go on shelves, but much less in actual users hands

True, but you can only channel stuff so much and based on this duration even if they are referring to the channels it's safe to say that Samsung will hit the 20 million mark in bona fide sales to end users soon enough to say they have sold 20 million units over just shipped.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:

True... but resellers wouldn't keep ordering them if they aren't selling them.

20 million over an entire year... somebody must be buying them
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:

Well the Galaxy line of Smart phones is the second most popular in the world (iPhone is #1 if you really did not know). Not surprising 20 million people decided to purchase on. I have one Galaxy S II that my sister uses. I use a Galaxy Nexus (I know it does not count). The line is famous and popular don't kid yourself.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Sales or shipped?

"Activated"
  • Reply 8 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Well the Galaxy line of Smart phones is the second most popular in the world (iPhone is #1 if you really did not know). Not surprising 20 million people decided to purchase on. I have one Galaxy S II that my sister uses. I use a Galaxy Nexus (I know it does not count). The line is famous and popular don't kid yourself.

I notice Samsung have put their S-cloud service on hold due to technical difficulties but Samsung University is proceeding as planned.

Such an innovative company, I wonder how they came up with these.

PS I dumped my Samsung fridge last week, the Bosch that replaced it is going well.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    I wonder why Apple wants to make TVs now. It should be happy with making its little gadgets.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I notice Samsung have put their S-cloud service on hold due to technical difficulties but Samsung University is proceeding as planned.

Such an innovative company, I wonder how they came up with these.

PS I dumped my Samsung fridge last week, the Bosch that replaced it is going well.

I know about S-Cloud but not about Samsung University except in terms of their product training. It is trying to follow iTunes University?
  • Reply 11 of 45
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Really? Only 20 million in an entire year? With all that talk of Samsung overtaking Apple I honestly thought their iPhone killer would be selling better.

So where do they get the smartphone crown? By selling cheap smartphones to feature phone users?
  • Reply 12 of 45
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Workers being kidnapped! Phones being tapped! Over 50 dead so far! Suicides! Leukemia!

Calling all naive activists across the globe! Go ahead and protest this outrage right now! Do your good little leftist duty for the day. But please take a shower before you go out and protest as your kind is not exactly known for cleanliness and we can't have you contaminating any innocent bystanders due to your lack of general hygiene, manners, intelligence and common decency.

Who and what the hell am I talking about? Am I talking about Apple? Nah. Am I talking about Foxconn? Nah. I am of course talking about Samsung!

I came across this site called stopsamsung on wordpress and according to them, all of the things which I listed in the first sentence of this thread are true.

http://stopsamsung.wordpress.com/

With all of the bogus stories being invented by certain ignorant people regarding Apple and China, it seems strange to me that there is no talk of Samsung or any other companies. Since they announced a milestone and sold 20 million phones of one particular model, I feel that the spotlight should be on them too, being the fair minded person that I am. Foxconn seems like paradise compared to Samsung.

Now, I of course do not really give a crap about either of those situations, but I just wanted to point out how ridiculous, clueless and comical the anti-Apple activists are. I'm sure that we'll unfortunately be reading more about these clueless people tomorrow because of the Apple shareholder meeting. The news should be about Apple and Apple products, instead we'll be reading about some ignorant dipshits who are whoring for attention.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    It's amazing how the Galaxy looks like nothing more than a giant iPhone!
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Sounds like the tide is turning. Reminds me when windows 95 hit......

Apple needs to put out real updates or will be delegated to a defunct niche.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I know about S-Cloud but not about Samsung University except in terms of their product training. It is trying to follow iTunes University?

See for yourself:-

http://translate.google.com/translat...row.com%2F2293
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Workers being kidnapped! Phones being tapped! Over 50 dead so far! Suicides! Leukemia!

Calling all naive activists across the globe! Go ahead and protest this outrage right now! Do your good little leftist duty for the day. But please take a shower before you go out and protest as your kind is not exactly known for cleanliness and we can't have you contaminating any innocent bystanders due to your lack of general hygiene, manners, intelligence and common decency.

Who and what the hell am I talking about? Am I talking about Apple? Nah. Am I talking about Foxconn? Nah. I am of course talking about Samsung!

I came across this site called stopsamsung on wordpress and according to them, all of the things which I listed in the first sentence of this thread are true.

With all of the bogus stories being invented by certain ignorant people regarding Apple and China, it seems strange to me that there is no talk of Samsung or any other companies. Since they announced a milestone and sold 20 million phones of one particular model, I feel that the spotlight should be on them too, being the fair minded person that I am. Foxconn seems like paradise compared to Samsung.

Now, I of course do not really give a crap about either of those situations, but I just wanted to point out how ridiculous, clueless and comical the anti-Apple activists are. I'm sure that we'll unfortunately be reading more about these clueless people tomorrow because of the Apple shareholder meeting. The news should be about Apple and Apple products, instead we'll be reading about some ignorant dipshits who are whoring for attention.

Hey, Rush, let's keep the dialog focused on the subject at hand and keep insane right wing rhetoric out of here... There's plenty of that sort of lunacy on Fox to keep you thoroughly entertained.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You really are a pathetic sad little person.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    3000 iPads in a 12hr shift is 250/hr or 4.2/min or one every 14.4s. Did they happen to show someone doing this in the segment? If you include a 1hr lunch and a couple 10 or 15m breaks then the rate is even faster. I can't imagine anyone keeping this up all day, day after day. something doesn't seem right.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

3000 iPads in a 12hr shift is 250/hr or 4.2/min or one every 14.4s. Did they happen to show someone doing this in the segment? If you include a 1hr lunch and a couple 10 or 15m breaks then the rate is even faster. I can't imagine anyone keeping this up all day, day after day. something doesn't seem right.

As a young adult I used to print 1200 tee shirts in an hour, or one every 3 seconds, and got paid $10 per hour, no overtime, and worked 95 hour weeks.

everyone should stop their whingeing, no-one is forcing people to work, or want stuff they don't need.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Sounds like the tide is turning. Reminds me when windows 95 hit......

Apple needs to put out real updates or will be delegated to a defunct niche.

Utter nonsense. Even though 2011 was pretty much an 'evolutionary' year for many companies...2012 is promising to be the the 'real' deal. At the very least, best in class products (Apples!) get to be even better discounting obvious flaws like not being able to make the toast, put you to bed or think for you.

'Real?' Bar the languishing Mac Pro, what product are you talking about?

A significant iPad 3 imminent. iPhone '5' about 6-7 months away.

A plethora of Mac updates from top to bottom.

Apple has 100 billion in the bank. Record Mac sales that continue to outgrow the PC market.

The iPad is smashing the opposition. The 4s is putting the hurt on Android. (Yes, a single phone vs the many lines of Android. And now Apple has 'free' or cheaper phones eg iphone 3GS and iPHone 4...Android isn't having the 'cheapo' sales all it's own way.)

Apple's eco system from the App store to iTunes to the way the iOS devices and Macs just 'play' with one another (and set to play even better with the promising Mountain Lion...) is in a class of it's own.

They're leading the way on laptops with the super popular Air...that traditional 'computer' companies are falling over themselves to copy/cash in on.

Apple have the competition beat on Air pricing, Pad pricing and offer best in class pricing for the 4S.

They're hurtling towards 500 million iOS devices sold in the next few years. And they're selling 20 million Macs a year now. How long before the userbase is 100 million?

Even continuing at their current rate, Apple is a Tsunami that few competitors will be able to resist.

Units are improving at Apple. But their dollar share is eclipsing by an order of magnitude those that rely on 'volume/units' alone.

Lemon Bon Bon.