Briefly: Apple corrects 'Nightline'; Kodak ITC suit; Samsung Galaxy S II hits 20M

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    ...and do we even have to talk about the smash success of Apple's retail stores that have no 'computer' company or phone equivalent in scale, beauty or quality or foot traffic or sales or profit?!

Samsung? Google? M$? Motorola? Dell? Intel?

No. Didn't think so.

Apple? Niche. Not any time soon. But they nearly used to be. Those days are long gone.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

You really are a pathetic sad little person.

I think he has a point. And you don't have a sense of humor.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

3000 iPads in a 12hr shift is 250/hr or 4.2/min or one every 14.4s. Did they happen to show someone doing this in the segment? If you include a 1hr lunch and a couple 10 or 15m breaks then the rate is even faster. I can't imagine anyone keeping this up all day, day after day. something doesn't seem right.

I guess you have never been in a US Auto Assembly plant ... there are plenty of production jobs in the US that are monotonous, repetitive and at a very high pace.

Obviously the wage scale is different, but point is the same.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

3000 iPads in a 12hr shift is 250/hr or 4.2/min or one every 14.4s. Did they happen to show someone doing this in the segment? If you include a 1hr lunch and a couple 10 or 15m breaks then the rate is even faster. I can't imagine anyone keeping this up all day, day after day. something doesn't seem right.

Just because you have no experience doing a similar type of repetitive work doesn't mean it doesn't exist, even in such a "civilized" place as the U.S.. This sounds like fairly standard assembly line work.

The question should be regarding breaks, especially those to allow movement so as to avoid repetitive motion injuries.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Pity that Samsung has a habit of giving out sales to resellers rather thn end users. So thT could be 20 million sold to go on shelves, but much less in actual users hands

That's really only a practical argument when dealing with a new product release, as OEMs often ship massive amounts to resellers for the launch. Over time, the difference between "shipped" and "sold" grows minuscule.

That said, Samsung is rather known for having new products released all the time
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Quote:

AND, he never managed to get his trading account and buy AAPL, yet keeps blabbering like one. That's sad as well.

I do want to call on SpamSandwish and Applegreen as well if both of you are listening. Are you really Apple stockholders ans your signatures claimed to be?
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

That's really only a practical argument when dealing with a new product release, as OEMs often ship massive amounts to resellers for the launch. Over time, the difference between "shipped" and "sold" grows minuscule.

That said, Samsung is rather known for having new products released all the time

Not to mentioned they are the next best thing from iPhone. Very important in East and Southeast Asia where 2/3 of iPhone stocks lost to scalpers. And Apple warranty do not exists. Hardware and function wise, Galaxy and iPhone are now close enough to be like Coke and Pepsi.

Samsung does make real ground in countries that smartphones are only recently introduced and Apple cannot bring music and movie stores into play for whatever reason. Licensing, copyright or whatever, but no iTune stores south of China has music, movie and podcast on catalogs.

Not that I hated Apple, but Apple is fighting with one foot in a bucket outside Western market.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

It's amazing how the Galaxy looks like nothing more than a giant iPhone!

Funny that I thought the same thing, which should not be a shock. Yet it is, every time I see any android phone. I have to wonder why anyone would buy a direct copy of another device with a copied OS as well. Obviously cheap knock-offs are never as good as the real thing. But most of the world has always been satisfied with buying copies of products that are known to be the best in their genre. We who believe life is to short to settle for cheap imitations are in the minority. Try to look at that as a good thing. (even though I cannot no matter how hard I try)
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Workers being kidnapped! Phones being tapped! Over 50 dead so far! Suicides! Leukemia!

Who and what the hell am I talking about? Am I talking about Apple? Nah. Am I talking about Foxconn? Nah. I am of course talking about Samsung!

I came across this site called stopsamsung on wordpress and according to them, all of the things which I listed in the first sentence of this thread are true.

http://stopsamsung.wordpress.com/

I feel that the spotlight should be on them too, being the fair minded person that I am. Foxconn seems like paradise compared to Samsung.

Here's a petition to sign:

http://www.petitiononline.com/s4m5ung/petition.html
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:

you may get a warning for calling out the truth.

especially if your allegiances aren't hardcore pro-Apple (even if it is, if it isn't obvious you are at risk of warning/banning at a rate of 100:1)
  • Reply 31 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

Workers being kidnapped! Phones being tapped! Over 50 dead so far! Suicides! Leukemia!

Calling all naive activists across the globe! Go ahead and protest this outrage right now! Do your good little leftist duty for the day. But please take a shower before you go out and protest as your kind is not exactly known for cleanliness and we can't have you contaminating any innocent bystanders due to your lack of general hygiene, manners, intelligence and common decency.

Who and what the hell am I talking about? Am I talking about Apple? Nah. Am I talking about Foxconn? Nah. I am of course talking about Samsung!

I came across this site called stopsamsung on wordpress and according to them, all of the things which I listed in the first sentence of this thread are true.

With all of the bogus stories being invented by certain ignorant people regarding Apple and China, it seems strange to me that there is no talk of Samsung or any other companies. Since they announced a milestone and sold 20 million phones of one particular model, I feel that the spotlight should be on them too, being the fair minded person that I am. Foxconn seems like paradise compared to Samsung.

Now, I of course do not really give a crap about either of those situations, but I just wanted to point out how ridiculous, clueless and comical the anti-Apple activists are. I'm sure that we'll unfortunately be reading more about these clueless people tomorrow because of the Apple shareholder meeting. The news should be about Apple and Apple products, instead we'll be reading about some ignorant dipshits who are whoring for attention.

You need not spew your right wing elitist propaganda again and again, thread after thread. Remember do not point out the spec in your brother's eye when you have a plank in yours.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    20 million my ass. It's not impressive at all. Samsung probably pushed dealers to overstock their inventories with s2 products that will take years to sell. These dealers should stop selling Samsung altogether or at least report Samsung to the Federal Trade Commission for bullying. It would suck to be a Samsung dealer hoarding inventory that might never sell when Samsung releases new smart phone every month. The number probably includes free giveaways in other countries where customers are smart and would never spend money on a Samsung product.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

Really? Only 20 million in an entire year? With all that talk of Samsung overtaking Apple I honestly thought their iPhone killer would be selling better.

So where do they get the smartphone crown? By selling cheap smartphones to feature phone users?

No, that would be 20m in just 10 months. You know Samsung makes at least 20+ mobile phone, so in aggregate, it's still #1 in marketshare.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Unfortunately, due to recent conduct I cannot fully trust what Samsung tells us. As others have said, sales or shipped? They have a habit of touting bigger or better numbers than they really have acheived. Another example being the thickness of their Galaxy SII phone, which they claim is 8.49mm. What they fail to mention is that that is the thickness of their phone at its thinnest point. I believe it was reported here on AI that they infact lost a case against apple on who has the thinner smartphone, since once Samsung's phone was measured at its thickest point, it turned out to be thicker than the 9.3mm of the iPhone 4/S.

Apple has always measured thickness of their devices at the thickest point, or have been clear when one part of a device has been a different thickness than the thickest point, such as the original Macbook Air.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

AND, he never managed to get his trading account and buy AAPL, yet keeps blabbering like one. That's sad as well.

I do want to call on SpamSandwish and Applegreen as well if both of you are listening. Are you really Apple stockholders ans your signatures claimed to be?

Who do you think I am? One of those lying and disgusting ignorant activists or something?

• Reply 36 of 45
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

It's amazing how the Galaxy looks like nothing more than a giant iPhone!

As much as I don't like Touchwiz and do think it's an Apple ripoff, these pictures are pretty misleading. They show the app drawer to emphasize visual similarity to Apple's grid of apps. Yet, the reality of Android is that you use the desktop and widgets. That should lead to both appearance and function that is not similar to the iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Let me get this straight - Samsung sold 94M smartphones last fiscal year. Amongst that lot is a combination of a subset of 22M Galaxy S and a subset of 20M Galaxy S II.

That means Samsung sold many non Galaxy smartphones. I know they have a wide array of products. But what did they sell 50M+ units of? Or did I misread the whole thing?
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Unfortunately, due to recent conduct I cannot fully trust what Samsung tells us. As others have said, sales or shipped? They have a habit of touting bigger or better numbers than they really have acheived. Another example being the thickness of their Galaxy SII phone, which they claim is 8.49mm. What they fail to mention is that that is the thickness of their phone at its thinnest point. I believe it was reported here on AI that they infact lost a case against apple on who has the thinner smartphone, since once Samsung's phone was measured at its thickest point, it turned out to be thicker than the 9.3mm of the iPhone 4/S.

Apple has always measured thickness of their devices at the thickest point, or have been clear when one part of a device has been a different thickness than the thickest point, such as the original Macbook Air.

That would be quite misleading : contrary to your rant, Samsung Galaxy S II is thinner overall, but there is a bump towards the lower end of the phone - that is why the Brits recently rejected Samsung's complaint against Apple's misleading ad.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

But what did they sell 50M+ units of? Or did I misread the whole thing?

Crappy, cheap other kinds of phones. It's like I've been saying all along. The majority of Android phones sold are the crappy kind.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:

Calling all naive activists across the globe! Go ahead and protest this outrage right now! Do your good little leftist duty for the day. But please take a shower before you go out and protest as your kind is not exactly known for cleanliness and we can't have you contaminating any innocent bystanders due to your lack of general hygiene, manners, intelligence and common decency.

With all of the bogus stories being invented by certain ignorant people regarding Apple and China, it seems strange to me that there is no talk of Samsung or any other companies. Since they announced a milestone and sold 20 million phones of one particular model, I feel that the spotlight should be on them too, being the fair minded person that I am. Foxconn seems like paradise compared to Samsung.

Now, I of course do not really give a crap about either of those situations, but I just wanted to point out how ridiculous, clueless and comical the anti-Apple activists are. I'm sure that we'll unfortunately be reading more about these clueless people tomorrow because of the Apple shareholder meeting. The news should be about Apple and Apple products, instead we'll be reading about some ignorant dipshits who are whoring for attention.

LOL!! Why pay any attention to the *bogus stories* manufactured against Apple? think, why do you pay any attention to *bogus stories* manufactured against Samsung ?