Average paid Android apps are 2.5 times more expensive than iPhone apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On average, the top 100 Android applications cost $374.37, or an average of $3.74 per application, compared to the $1.47 average on Apple's App Store.

Based on your statement:

"On average, the top 100 Android applications cost $374.37, or an average of $3.74 per application, compared to the $1.47 average on Apple's App Store."

$3.74 is about 2.5 times $1.47, and it is also 1.5 times more expensive than $1.47.

There is a difference. I recommend correcting your headline and any example of where you said, "2.5 times more expensive than."
  • Reply 22 of 84
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not at all. I still believe that many of them are poverty stricken bums and people who do not have high technical standards. The Android market does not generate a whole lot of revenue compared to the Appstore.

The vast majority of developers do not make a cent from the Apple Appstore
  • Reply 23 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I could drop the d but I enjoy watching the greymmer nazi's cri the bluse I guess if you can only be good at one thing, make it policing the forums for proper grammar, you are an asset to the world.

I rarely go around and correct other people's spelling and grammar, unless I am forced to read a post such as yours where you repeat the same error three separate times. Everybody makes mistakes, including me of course. Nobody is perfect, though some are closer to perfection than others. You should really know how to spell a simple word such as "ad" correctly, IMHO.

I was simply giving you a helpful tip. You can choose to learn from it or not, that's your choice.

And yes, I do judge people by their grammar and their spelling online. Somebody who has poor grammar is less likely to know what they are talking about and it diminishes your overall credibility. Of course, the fact that you use an Android phone and you are on an Apple forum does far greater damage to your credibility than any spelling mistakes that you can ever make.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

There are also free ad supported versions of Angry Birds available on the App Store, iOS users have a choice, pay a buck and no more ads.

btw a friend ran up a $600 phone bill playing Angry Birds on a cheap Android handset on a cheap plan with high data costs.

This is equal to 10 months of my phone plan which included a free iPhone.

What is your point? Your friend did something stupid and your are trying to blame the phone? Why don't you blame your friend, or the provider that sold the plan?
  • Reply 25 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I don't know what the stats are, but only the cream of the crop rises to the top of course. There is some crap on the Appstore of course. Apple doesn't refuse some amateur from submitting a bad app to the Appstore, as long as it doesn't violate any of Apple's guidelines.

People who make poor apps do not deserve to make any money.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:

I also believe that you have made a false statement.

You should provide some proof to support your false allegations.

The majority of apps may not make much money, as only the top apps are those who will rake in the money.

But to claim that the majority of developers do not make a cent is obviously an absurd, false statement. You sound like one of those activists complaining about Apple and China. There is no need to spread falsehoods.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:

What is your point? Your friend did something stupid and your are trying to blame the phone? Why don't you blame your friend, or the provider that sold the plan?

It may have been google's fault.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Based on your statement:

"On average, the top 100 Android applications cost $374.37, or an average of $3.74 per application, compared to the $1.47 average on Apple's App Store."

$3.74 is about 2.5 times $1.47, and it is also 1.5 times more expensive than $1.47.

There is a difference. I recommend correcting your headline and any example of where you said, "2.5 times more expensive than."

oh, gawd. now someone's gonna step up and say we don't need no math nazis here, either. I just keep hoping there'll be at least a few readers who appreciate learning something new. Or, to be fair, being reminded of what they already know.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:

I don't know what the stats are, but only the cream of the crop rises to the top of course. There is some crap on the Appstore of course. Apple doesn't refuse some amateur from submitting a bad app to the Appstore, as long as it doesn't violate any of Apple's guidelines.

People who make poor apps do not deserve to make any money.

The problem is from what I 've heard from a lot of insiders that even pros who make good apps can't earn a decent living out of the app store. It's easy to rationalize this as people who make poor apps don't deserve money, but had you actually developed a pretty good app that the race to the bottom in prices as well as the fierce competition and 30% apple cut wasn't even allowing you to put food on the table you wouldn't be saying this.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    This is one of the most asinine article i've ever read on this site. What does it even mean? You're cherry picking the data to show what exactly? I don't even know what conclusion to draw form this so-called study.

Tech journalism has become exactly like political coverage. No one even tries to hide their biases anymore, which is slowly becoming blind fanaticism; and this is happening on both sides. Comments are out of control and inevitably degenerate into flame wars, a situation made worse by this type of meaningless article!

Does Apple Insider even consider themselves to be a journalistic endeavor anymore? Show a little bit of integrity and restraint! Not every article needs to extoll Apple's virtues while constantly bashing Android or Microsoft or whoever in the process.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The problem is from what I 've heard from a lot of insiders that even pros who make good apps can't earn a decent living out of the app store. It's easy to rationalize this as people who make poor apps don't deserve money, but had you actually developed a pretty good app that the race to the bottom in prices as well as the fierce competition and 30% apple cut wasn't even allowing you to put food on the table you wouldn't be saying this.

That may be true. I do not have any insider knowledge and I am not a developer.

I am just a user, but I do what I can. I vote with my wallet and I've spent many hundreds in total on apps which I find to be interesting and worthy of my time.

But, as with any business, not everybody is going to succeed and yes, there is a lot of competition. If somebody chooses to release an app that is just like 125 other apps on the Appstore that already do the same thing, then they should realize that they are taking a gamble.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    What the article fails to mention is that 85-90% of android apps are free. The only thing that you pay for for the most part are high end games and office/productivity apps, which almost always have free counterparts that are just as good if not better. Almost every game friends have paid for on iOS I have on android...free. the games and apps generally look the same, with few exceptions. Android OS and iOS are fairly similar all together, the big difference I noticed is, like their computers, iOS devices are very simplified and designed for use with very little tech savvy.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by republic84 View Post

What the article fails to mention is that 85-90% of android apps are free. The only thing that you pay for for the most part are high end games and office/productivity apps, which almost always have free counterparts that are just as good if not better. Almost every game friends have paid for on iOS I have on android...free. the games and apps generally look the same, with few exceptions. Android OS and iOS are fairly similar all together, the big difference I noticed is, like their computers, iOS devices are very simplified and designed for use with very little tech savvy.

first post makes sense and you admit to being an Android user?

Good luck here.

(I think it's more like 70% free but I'm not sure...you may be right though)
  • Reply 34 of 84
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

This "analysis" is not worthy of the word. It is unbelievably stupid and ill-conceived from beginning to end. You can't take the average prices of the top 100 apps on each store, and use them to draw any worthwhile conclusions.

Exactly...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Beyond mobile application prices, Canalys also found other key differences between the Apple App Store and Google Android Market. For example, among the top 100 applications listed in both storefronts, only 19 applications appeared in both lists.

"Beyond mobile application prices"? The point raised in the sentance above is NOT "beyond" the analysis of the prices. It's a part of it! In fact, it's probably the number one critical factor in the difference in the average prices.

This analysis is, essentailly, comparing the price of Application A in iOS to the price of entirely different Application B in Android, and then doing that 81 times out of 100 and then wondering why there is a price difference on average. Useless!

Do a real analysis comparing the price of Application A on iOS to Application A on Android. Do that for a sample set of applications that are common to both systems, then come back to us with your results.

Utter failure of analysis.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:

And yes, I do judge people by their grammar and their spelling online. Somebody who has poor grammar is less likely to know what they are talking about and it diminishes your overall credibility. Of course, the fact that you use an Android phone and you are on an Apple forum does far greater damage to your credibility than any spelling mistakes that you can ever make.

Must be tough sitting way up there, self entitled, able to judge. Oh, there are people out there that are "tech" types and not "brand" types and own all kinds of gadgets, failing to recognize this simple, well known fact damages ones credibility far more than spelling or fat fingers, an educated person will take a formed opinion based on use over a formed opinion based on other opinions and what they "read" on the internet any day.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

first post makes sense and you admit to being an Android user?

Good luck here.

(I think it's more like 70% free but I'm not sure...you may be right though)

Here's the latest numbers on paid vs free.

http://www.appbrain.com/stats/free-a...d-applications

Or if you prefer graphs, try this link

http://www.androlib.com/appstatsfreepaid.aspx
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Here's the latest numbers on paid vs free.

http://www.appbrain.com/stats/free-a...d-applications

Or if you prefer graphs, try this link

http://www.androlib.com/appstatsfreepaid.aspx

That is a cool link. So 70% free. I assume that is Android Market only? I started using the Amazon Market a few months ago because they give away one paid app free every day. I assume they pay the developer and give it away to the customer which would totally skew this report.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

That is a cool link.

I got a million of 'em

(Perhaps a mild exaggeration)
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

"Beyond mobile application prices"? The point raised in the sentance above is NOT "beyond" the analysis of the prices. It's a part of it! In fact, it's probably the number one critical factor in the difference in the average prices.

This analysis is, essentailly, comparing the price of Application A in iOS to the price of entirely different Application B in Android, and then doing that 81 times out of 100 and then wondering why there is a price difference on average. Useless!

Do a real analysis comparing the price of Application A on iOS to Application A on Android. Do that for a sample set of applications that are common to both systems, then come back to us with your results.

Utter failure of analysis.

If the author did as you say, it would not be as sensational and draw hits. This article is simple garbage reporting.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I got a million of 'em

(Perhaps a mild exaggeration)

Maybe not, you threw out 70% and were pretty darn close.