Rumor: Apple ready to retire iDevice dock connector

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    So this now passes for news???

"An unsubstantiated rumor", "the aforementioned specifics were based on guesswork"...

I read a rumor somewhere that the next iPhone will clip on your ear, and everyone will have to wear one..

Of course I'm just guessing that's how it will work..
  • Reply 22 of 100
    People on this website called me crazy when I said Apple should ditch the dock connector. Based on this new information, who's laughing now? I was right.
  • Reply 23 of 100
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I'd love if the iPad3 shed this connector, but I doubt it will happen so soon. Either way its about time. I;m sure they can incorporate a much more compact, modern, and faster connector.
  • Reply 24 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

People on this website called me crazy when I said Apple should ditch the dock connector. Based on this new information, who's laughing now? I was right.

This article isn't saying Apple will ditch the dock connector but update it with a newer dock connector. So besides that no being right it's also just a rumor not proof of anything.
  • Reply 25 of 100
    and if they move to a standard interface (that is, open it up) it might change my absolutely negative image of the company and everything it stands for.
  • Reply 26 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

and if they move to a standard interface (that is, open it up) it might change my absolutely negative image of the company and everything it stands for.

Well, go off and have a good snit because Apple won't replace this connector with anything that another phone might be able to plug into; especially an Android phone.

It is written, "No one shall enter the ecosystem except through Apple."
  • Reply 27 of 100
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    I see the logic behind dumping the connector, and the EU's logic behind the USB charging standard, however...

I don't see apple dumping the connector yet. So many devices use it, that it would probably cause a riot from those who have it in their expensive cars.

IMO, the most likely thing that will happen is that Apple will release a new iPhone/iPad/iPod that uses a new connector (see the magsafe patent) in addition to the old connector, and then drop the old connector after three years when the warranty is up for everything that has just the old connector. Or the new device will start with just the new connector and have a cradle to connect to the old one that can just be left permanently attached to the interface it was being used with.

I'm thinking of the kind of action took with dropping 3.25" drives while adopting usb and firewire. Apple is the first to adopt and first to drop underutilized standards.

Physical connectors break, and the only good reason to drop it is that edge-connectors tend to be damaged extremely easily, while rigid connectors (eg USB, minijack) tend to become unglued on the PCB from repeat insertion and removal. Moving to the magsafe design eliminates this.
  • Reply 28 of 100
    I really hope they go with a magsafe connection. I find the micro / macro usb plugs too small, it's so much harder to fit in, it's hard to tell which side is which on the little port. For something you have to charge every day, it's not great. Would be really cool if they made a mini magsafe though, as small as micro usb, but snaps right in.
  • Reply 29 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

I don't see apple dumping the connector yet. So many devices use it, that it would probably cause a riot from those who have it in their expensive cars.

Unless Apple moves to optical (which I think is not highly unlikely) or moves away from USB (equally unlikely) the most you'd have to do with an older car with an iPod Dock Connector is get the adapter.

Just to be clear, the EU isn't requiring Apple to remove the iPod Dock Connector or add a micro-USB connector directly to the device.
  • Reply 30 of 100
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

You despise everything the company stands for, and have 98 posts on a fansite forum of the company.

Why? Such strange, irrational behaviour.
  • Reply 31 of 100
    What? Worst english ever, even for this site which seems to be hiring more and more writers that simply can't write proper english, or be bothered to re-read their posts.

Anyway, future should totally be wireless everything. We already have wireless data transfer and wireless charging.
  • Reply 32 of 100
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LMGS View Post

So this now passes for news???

"An unsubstantiated rumor", "the aforementioned specifics were based on guesswork"...

I read a rumor somewhere that the next iPhone will clip on your ear, and everyone will have to wear one..

Of course I'm just guessing that's how it will work..

Apple Insider started out as principally a rumour site based on leaks - hence the 'insider' part of the name, it isn't and never has been just a news site.
  • Reply 33 of 100
    Let's see:

2001: FireWire: 400 Mbps

2005: USB 2.0: ~25 Mbps

2012: 802.11n: ~20 Mbps (if physical syncing is dropped...)

Just saying...
  • Reply 34 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

And everyone please stop with all the whining for adoption of micro USB for the on-board connector. USB, micro or otherwise, is pathetically limited compared to all the stuff the 30 pin connector can do, or what TB could do. If you just have to have a micro USB plug, go buy an adapter, but don't ruin the future for the rest of us.

Obviously with USB and then more pin holes side by side we get the best of both worlds.

Sadly however servitude sometimes seems more the norm.
  • Reply 35 of 100
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

And everyone please stop with all the whining for adoption of micro USB for the on-board connector. USB, micro or otherwise, is pathetically limited compared to all the stuff the 30 pin connector can do, or what TB could do. If you just have to have a micro USB plug, go buy an adapter, but don't ruin the future for the rest of us.

In what way is USB limited compared to a 30-pin connector? Judging by the fact that Apple sells a 30-pin to microUSB adpater, USB isn't limited in any meaningful way.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    This short article has to be one of the most poorly written piece I've seen on AI for a while. It is so full of grammatical error that it's nearly impossible to read. I know this is a tech blog site but...come on!

Do some basic proof reading before posting it.
  • Reply 37 of 100
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Landfill

Third parties will produce adapters.
  • Reply 38 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danbirchall View Post

The EU is requiring micro USB as a standard, yeah. There's been talk of Apple just supplying an adapter to go between that and the 30-pin connector. But honestly, micro USB is smaller than 30-pin, and not just by a little bit - by a lot. It would be really nice to be able to carry just one cable and use it interchangeably between my phone, my external hard drive, and my DSLR.

The problem is it is far slower to charge than Apple's connector.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The design of Apple's next generation phone would be complete at this point so I really doubt they are searching for a connector for the 2012 iphone at this late stage. Perhaps for the 2013 phone.

Buy you haven't seen the iPhone 5?
  • Reply 40 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

If people on this site call you crazy there's a good chance you're onto something because they hate ideas and they certainly won't tolerate common sense criticism of Apple.