Special Report: Tim Cook addresses Apple shareholders with wit, passion and analytical focus

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Ok, this got me hyped..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/conniegu...low-your-mind/

What could be more mind-blowing than the expected upgrades...?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Who are the 2% of shareholders who voted AGAINST Cook as a director? They should sell their shares by invest in RIM.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Twenty years ago, in March of 1992, Apple released the Macintosh LCII. It had a 16MHz processor, 1 core, a 500 byte cache, a 40-80MB hard disk (the size of a single Photoshop file), and 2MB of memory (with a max of 10MB). It cost $1240, which is $2003 in 2012 dollars.

Five years ago, the iPhone was announced, but hadn't shipped yet. The iPad was still three years away.

It's hard for me to imagine where we'll be in five years, never mind twenty.

Puts things into perspective.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    I was interviewed by both Reuters and MSNBC after the meeting. I wonder if either made it to air??? I won't get a chance to search for them until I get home Friday.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    I'd really love to see Apple push their way into education internationally, and I mean really push. The knock on effect of kids using Macs on a day to day basis could be huge. Here in the UK, I'm just not seeing it… yet.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    I object to the use by the reporter of the term "family-oriented" to describe socially conservative Christianity. I'm quite "family-oriented" myself -- I love my son and my mother and father -- but I have no objections to The Family Guy or Apple advertising on it. Who was the organization?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

He did mention it by price. He says he uses it all the time.

That's a clincher, then.

Quote:

Phil Schiller looks like he's lost a few pounds too.

And good for him!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He's referring to their existing product (Apple TV). That's all.

That's all, and that's great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Twenty years ago, in March of 1992, Apple released the Macintosh LCII. It had a 16MHz processor, 1 core, a 500 byte cache, a 40-80MB hard disk (the size of a single Photoshop file), and 2MB of memory (with a max of 10MB). It cost $1240, which is $2003 in 2012 dollars.

I have one of those! Got it for a buck when my old elementary school was torn down.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Who are the 2% of shareholders who voted AGAINST Cook as a director? They should sell their shares and invest in RIM.

I suspect they're the devout folks who believe people doing a company's day-to-day management should not be on its board. I can't imagine a performance-based reason.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Wow. 600 interns.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

However, in less than five years Apple will hold $1 trillion in cash and with that kind of money you can change the world, again.

So my question is:

"Mr Cook, looking beyond mere content and gadgets, it's your turn to change the world. So please tell me what you're going to do with that Trillion dollars in 2017?"

KOB

Buy a country or two? Greece is on the cheap, I hear.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Buy a country or two? Greece is on the cheap, I hear.

But is Greece worth buying? I think RiM is in better shape, is much cheaper, has a better chance of Apple fixing it, and would probably be more appreciative.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    I happily Invest in Apple. I would not Invest in Greece or RIM.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But is Greece worth buying? I think RiM is in better shape, is much cheaper, has a better chance of Apple fixing it, and would probably be more appreciative.

The first person asking a question at the meeting brought up (jokingly) Apple buy Greece. Tim laughed but respectfully declined.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    One thing that caught my eyes were the Suit. This is the first time i seen any Apple's executive wearing a suit.

Is this a change in Post SJ era?
  • Reply 36 of 40
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    I was pulled towards this article because the title promised a new view on Tim Cook's presentation. But no.

The article doesn't support the title at all. There is not one example of wit, passion or analytical focus beyond what you might expect from any CEO.

Not that the article contradicts the title.

It's just that there apparently was this personal feeling Daniel Eran Dilger had about Cook during the meeting, which he then found neccessary to express in the title - but sadly couldn't translate into human language to support it.

Not well, for a writer.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I get the feeling that Cook is more of, or at least more openly comfortable with being a philanthropist than Jobs was.

Apple has enormous power and resources and to see them under Cook's leadership take such positive steps that they are, makes me feel good about the company. If I need to list the noticeable changes for everyone I will.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

The first person asking a question at the meeting brought up (jokingly) Apple buy Greece. Tim laughed but respectfully declined.

Hilarious but also so tragic ...Once the paragon of human civilisation (or not, from what we know of ancient Greece, depending on your view)... Now nobody even wants to buy it.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I get the feeling that Cook is more of, or at least more openly comfortable with being a philanthropist than Jobs was.

Apple has enormous power and resources and to see them under Cook's leadership take such positive steps that they are, makes me feel good about the company. If I need to list the noticeable changes for everyone I will.

Tim seems to be the right person for the "sweet spot" of the next 5 years. He's Apple enough to know what to do but seems sensible enough to avoid the downsides of the brashness and eccentricities of Steve. Sure, Steve continuing on at Apple would be my first choice but this is good enough for now. I think I'm going to enjoy the ride through to 2018. I'm no longer an Apple fanatic, but hey, they do make some pretty good (and addicting!) stuff, and I've built a recent career largely due to their ecosystem, so, colour me happy.
  • Reply 40 of 40

You can never say never really, you only have to look at how far they've come in the last few years to know that in 5 years time there could be anything out and click tihs will probably be brilliant but i really do hope that they are building something big for the future!