Briefly: Upgrade reminder emails sent to MobileMe users, Firmware updates

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple on Thursday sent a batch of emails to remaining MobileMe users reminding them to upgrade to iCloud before the migration deadline, while EFI firmware updates rolled out for 2011 iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and Mac mini models.

Apple reminds MobileMe users of deadline

Citing information from website Freakgeeks.com, The Next Web reports that Apple sent out emails on Thursday which reminded MobileMe users to switch their accounts to iCloud, as the migration deadline of June 30, 2012 nears.

The move is not uncommon for Apple, as the company previously notified holdouts of upcoming service changes when it moved from .Mac to MobileMe. When the company's free cloud syncing and storage service was announced, emails were sent to existing MobileMe subscribers in preparation of the October, 2011 launch.

Once the deadline to migrate passes, accounts will reportedly be migrated to iCloud without user permission, and user data may be lost.

Apple's iCloud now has over 85 million users and is the backbone of iOS 5's data syncing and storage capabilities.

EFI firmware updates

Thursday's firmware update offers stability improvements, fixes network booting reliability and addresses an issue with selecting a boot device when USB storage is hot-plugged.

MacBook Pro EMI firmware update 2.7 for early and late 2011 models weighs in at 4.24 MB, while the mid-2011 MacBook Air's firmware update 2.4 comes in at 4.06 MB.

iMac EMI firmware update 1.9 covers early 2011 models and is 3.77 MB, while the mid-2011 Mac mini update 1.6 is a 4.08 MB download.

All updates require machines to be running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 or later.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    To switch over to iCloud every one of my computers have to be running Lion to use my Mobileme email account with macMail , according to Apple.

Not only my computer but also the computer I use at work.

Now at the deadline time they are going to introduce a new iOS.

Why not give Mountain Lion a couple months on the market then force the switch over to iCloud.

I have to many apps and peripherals to be an early adopter on something like Lion, and I sure don't want to upgrade to Lion one month, then the next month start the process with Mountain Lion.

Dear Apple...extend this deadline for a couple months past the introduction of Mountain Lion.

Thanks

Jonathan
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

EFI firmware updates

Thursday's firmware update offers stability improvements, fixes network booting reliability and addresses an issue with selecting a boot device when USB storage is hot-plugged.

Safari definitely feels snappier.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    I have not moved across to icloud as many others havent in large part due to there not being a satisfactory solution to mobileme galleries. This might seem trivial but as a pro photographer it is one of the most useful features (allowing ease of use and a slick interface to present things to clients) and IMHO is a real mistake on Apple's part to discontinue. Integration is one of the reasons i got into macs to begin with. Anyone else who feels the same please check out the Support communities for more info. https://discussions.apple.com/message/15352877#15352877
  • Reply 4 of 41
    So, Software update applied the 2.7 Firmware update, and since an hour I see only a grey screen (MacBook Pro, early 2011). I can connect to it via file sharing, but screen sharing is not possible. I guess I'm not supposed to force shut down of the machine at a firmware update? I was not at the machine after hitting Restart to start the firmware update, so I do not know how far it came.

What should i do?

Edit: solved. The firmware update was not yet applied, the MacBook was hanging during the first restart cycle. I forced quit it, and upon restart the update was applied. Relief!
  • Reply 5 of 41
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hct99 View Post

So, Software update applied the 2.7 Firmware update, and since an hour I see only a grey screen (MacBook Pro, early 2011). I can connect to it via file sharing, but screen sharing is not possible. I guess I'm not supposed to force shut down of the machine at a firmware update? I was not at the machine after hitting Restart to start the firmware update, so I do not know how far it came.

What should i do?

Sounds like trouble! Try restarting while holding down Shift (safe reboot) .. otherwise if you have a bootable backup disk, restart holding Option; you might be able to reapply the update. Failing that try the Apple forums for a fix.

(Not that it helps but applied the update to my MBA via Software Update: it went very quickly and without any problems.)
  • Reply 6 of 41
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

All updates require machines to be running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 or later.

Hm, is this because the fixes only apply to Lion machines or yet another stick to get people to move to Lion?
  • Reply 7 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Please Apple replicate or move the Galleries feature. If you can store all those photo stream pictures on the cloud why not the galleries Aperture and iPhoto can create? I totally understand dropping the web hosting but the galleries are very useful. In fact I'd go further and suggest you improve the galleries even more with better slide show capabilities and of course all HTML5.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Hi guys, quick question...

I have an iPhone 4, an iPad 2 and an old original intel iMac running Snow Leopard. All are currently syncing using my MobileMe account.

The iMac is Too "old" to update to Lion. Should I just update the iPhone and iPad to use iCloud and "turn off" the syncing of the iMac?

Seems a shame since the iMac is easier to update, Notes, Contacts, and Email...

Is doing a manual sync to the old iMac from the iPad an option?

Thank so much and sorry to be off topic...I hope haven't made anyone mad!
  • Reply 9 of 41
    My family's iPod Touches are too old for iOS5--which is required for iCloud. So, I am praying that a new iPod Touch comes out before MobileMe terminates on June 30.

I am hopeful. On the one hand, it has been 18 months since the last iPod Touch refresh. On the other hand, I have heard no related rumors.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    mactmact Posts: 26member
    My machines are both owned by the university, and they will not be upgrading to Lion. So now I have no simple way to synchronize my office machine and my home one. I am not even sure that I will be able to use my .me mail account. Ironically, they will provide me with WIndows machines as an alternative.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    I agree. I am ready to migrate my galleries to iCloud Apple. Just tell me how!

I will go further and say, I really would appreciate you letting me keep the small web pages I made using iWeb over the years. Or homepage. This is why the Mac was always so much better than the PC world! Integration!

This is madness. There really is NO 3rd party photo hosting site that comes close to gallery. I don't want ugly pages and ads.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Please Apple replicate or move the Galleries feature. If you can store all those photo stream pictures on the cloud why not the galleries Aperture and iPhoto can create? I totally understand dropping the web hosting but the galleries are very useful. In fact I'd go further and suggest you improve the galleries even more with better slide show capabilities and of course all HTML5.

• Reply 12 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Hi guys, quick question...

I have an iPhone 4, an iPad 2 and an old original intel iMac running Snow Leopard. All are currently syncing using my MobileMe account.

The iMac is Too "old" to update to Lion. Should I just update the iPhone and iPad to use iCloud and "turn off" the syncing of the iMac?

Seems a shame since the iMac is easier to update, Notes, Contacts, and Email...

Is doing a manual sync to the old iMac from the iPad an option?

Thank so much and sorry to be off topic...I hope haven't made anyone mad!

1) MacOSXHints.com forum is much better suited for this type of question. Not that you can't ask that here but if you asked it there you would get a much more detailed response in a much shorter time frame.

2) Yes, you can still hook up an iDevice to a machine running a current (or fairly current version) or iTunes to sync data.

3) Since iCloud does have APIs that do connect to the cloud and there is the HTTP access from a modern browser to upload data I would think a savvy developer would be able to create an app that would sync your data to iCloud servers periodically.

4) There was some chatter about Apple releasing 10.6.9 that would basically be some security updates and iCloud access. I don't predict that happening but I could see why Apple would do that for SL users right before MobileMe goes dark.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Apparently this is not for my late 2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4ghz 500gb hdd 8GB. Current bootrom version MBP81.0047.B26.

Go figure.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Does it mean I can finally boot from a USB-powered DVD drive on my 2011 mac mini?
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Does it mean I can finally boot from a USB-powered DVD drive on my 2011 mac mini?

Finally? Why couldn't you from day one?
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Finally? Why couldn't you from day one?

I don't know. When I tried to update firmware of the momentus xt in my mac mini, I couldn't boot from the DVD drive after I selected it at startup. The screen was simply black afterwards and nothing happened.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

I don't know. When I tried to update firmware of the momentus xt in my mac mini, I couldn't boot from the DVD drive after I selected it at startup. The screen was simply black afterwards and nothing happened.

If it saw the ODD and the boot disc at start up that's a good sign. Where you booting into a Mac OS X Install Disc? If you have bought Lion from the Mac App Store it's easy to make a bootable disc (you can use a HDD partition of USB flash drive). I'd test that to see if that works.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonathanworld View Post

To switch over to iCloud every one of my computers have to be running Lion to use my Mobileme email account with macMail , according to Apple.

Not only my computer but also the computer I use at work.

Now at the deadline time they are going to introduce a new iOS.

Why not give Mountain Lion a couple months on the market then force the switch over to iCloud.

I have to many apps and peripherals to be an early adopter on something like Lion, and I sure don't want to upgrade to Lion one month, then the next month start the process with Mountain Lion.

Dear Apple...extend this deadline for a couple months past the introduction of Mountain Lion.

Thanks

Jonathan

I don't think that is correct. I'm running a mixture of Lion and Snow Leopard, and Mail works fine on both systems. Lion Mail shows the account as iCloud IMAP, while SL Mail shows it as MobileMe IMAP.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If it saw the ODD and the boot disc at start up that's a good sign. Where you booting into a Mac OS X Install Disc? If you have bought Lion from the Mac App Store it's easy to make a bootable disc (you can use a HDD partition of USB flash drive). I'd test that to see if that works.

I don't remember if it came with Lion or not. I burned the firmware update of momentus xt to a DVD, and then tried to boot from it with a keyboard combination. The Mac recognized the drive, but didn't work thereafter.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:

I don't remember if it came with Lion or not. I burned the firmware update of momentus xt to a DVD, and then tried to boot from it with a keyboard combination. The Mac recognized the drive, but didn't work thereafter.

That's sounding like an issue with the SSD updater not with your Mac being able to boot from the DVD drive.