Apple's iOS passes Android, accounts for 35% of mobile ad impressions

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014


The launch of the iPhone 4S helped Apple's iOS surge 12 percentage points and surpass Google Android in mobile ad impressions in North America.



Apple's growth was detailed on Friday by InMobi, the largest independent mobile advertising network, which released its "Mobile Insights Report: North American Edition" for the month of January. The data comes from InMobi's network, serving more than 93.4 billion advertising impressions around the world each month.



Apple's share of available ad impressions in North America grew from 23.2 percent in October of 2011 to 35.3 percent in January. The 12.1 percentage point swing came as Android loss 3.2 points, finishing in second with 32.7 percent.



In regaining the top spot, Apple rebounded strongly from 2011, during which Google's Android was the top platform tracked by InMobi for most of the year.



Research in Motion's BlackBerry mobile operating system saw an even steeper decline than Android over the October-to-January span, dropping 8.9 points to finish in third place at 11.6 percent.











"The iOS growth we are seeing may be attributed to the tremendous success of iPhone 4S and iPad in the ecosystem," said Anne Frisbie, vice president and managing director for InMobi's North American operations. "Overall, we are excited to see InMobi’s available impressions exceed 55 billion in North America, and look forward to continuing our rapid growth through 2012."



The latest study also found that the top three handsets tracked on the advertising network were all made by Apple. The most popular device tracked in North America was the iPhone 4, with a 9 percent share of impressions, followed by the first-generation iPad with 6.3 percent and the fourth-generation iPod touch with 6.1 percent.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

«134

Comments

  • iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The launch of the iPhone 4S helped Apple's iOS surge 12 percentage points and surpass Google Android in mobile ad impressions in North America.



    Funny considering that advertising is the whole point to Android's existence! \
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I get why iOS is gaining and BB is losing but why is Android losing? Can someone define wining for me again¡
  • aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    Funny considering that advertising is the whole point to Android's existence! \



    Even more odd for the developer perspective; if Android is dropping in total ad impressions, is the opportunity disappearing to make money off ad-supported apps?



    ...Or, is this a case of web ads being the only thing tracked, and people are using apps more?
  • monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,097member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post


    Even more odd for the developer perspective; if Android is dropping in total ad impressions, is the opportunity disappearing to make money off ad-supported apps?



    ...Or, is this a case of web ads being the only thing tracked, and people are using apps more?



    With my apps I have given up on advertising. One of my free apps had over a million downloads and I have barely made enough to buy a packet of crisps with the add revenue.
  • herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,175member
    I am earing rumors of an event at 1 PM TODAY. Any news ?!?!
  • mrstepmrstep Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


    With my apps I have given up on advertising. One of my free apps had over a million downloads and I have barely made enough to buy a packet of crisps with the add revenue.



    Yep, eCPM has clearly taken a hit. InMobi comments on having had 55 billion available impressions - there's just a huge available impression glut, lack of fill rates to actually make all of those ad slots monetize, and mobile doesn't convert as well as desktop, seemingly, so... Supply and demand.



    Better to have paid apps and purchasable content at this point.
  • thataveragejoethataveragejoe Posts: 830member
    There are studies that show iOS much higher, and others Android much higher at impressions. Seems to vary by who's serving. Not sure you can really trust any of 'em.
  • rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I get why iOS is gaining and BB is losing but why is Android losing? Can someone define wining for me again¡



    It really doesn't surprise me that much. When I look around in public transportation, of all the people who seem to do more than just a phone call, more than 60 - 70 % are using an iPhone. I believe the way Apple perfections even smallest details as well as the overall user experience finally starts to play. Android on the other hand, where every HW manufacturer as well as every carrier meddles with the system will never be able to generate this kind of coherence. Ultimately users will always suffer some frustration, unless they are sworn apple haters.
  • rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


    I am earing rumors of an event at 1 PM TODAY. Any news ?!?!



    Where did you (h)-ear this rumor?
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


    I am earing rumors of an event at 1 PM TODAY. Any news ?!?!



    An event? that Apple told no one about beforehand? and which would make no sense to have?
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post


    Yep, eCPM has clearly taken a hit. InMobi comments on having had 55 billion available impressions - there's just a huge available impression glut, lack of fill rates to actually make all of those ad slots monetize, and mobile doesn't convert as well as desktop, seemingly, so... Supply and demand.



    Better to have paid apps and purchasable content at this point.



    I expect that trend to grow. For years, advertisers seemed to be throwing money at web ads without even thinking about it. They're now analyzing their data and finding out that the returns aren't there. Click throughs are far too low to support existing ad rates. Do you know anyone who clicks on web ads - especially on their mobile devices?



    I foresee mobile ad revenue peaking and then declining in the very near future (if it hasn't peaked already).
  • michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    Funny considering that advertising is the whole point to Android's existence! \



    But, but... marketshare!!!



    That trumps all... right?
  • galaxytabgalaxytab Posts: 122member
    Apple's iOS passes Android, accounts for 35% of mobile ad impressions*



    *in North America



    Couldn't have clarified the North America part in the title no? \
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galaxytab View Post


    apple's ios passes android, accounts for 35% of mobile ad impressions*[/b]



    *in north america



    couldn't have clarified the north america part in the title no? \



    . . .
  • rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    . . .



    I suppose They could put the entire article in the title



    That would really suck for the rest of the article.
  • cy_starkmancy_starkman Posts: 488member
    I think the most interesting data is the 55billion ads.



    Based on 300million people in the USA, every man, woman, child and baby got served about 7 ads by these guys via mobile devices if I am reading it correctly at this early hour of the night.



    I -think- I recall reading that smart phone is at around 30% of population but that might be mobile owning population. If not it is 21 ads a day, if it is % of mobile owning then it is at least double.



    This company is the biggest independent, so google oozes out even more than this number. I am not sure of any other non-independents, but I suppose there is at least one. Then there are the smaller independents.



    So what are we talking about. 100 ads a day per person on a mobile device in the USA.



    I could go two ways at this point. One is to consider actual daily use of web/apps on mobile devices. Surely that doesn't exceed tv yet. Maybe more in the 2hrs a day range. An ad a minute perhaps.



    The other is data transfer. About 3,000 ads a month (*365 /12). At what, say 10kb per ad between animated and static. Maybe that is a bit kind. Anyway, 30,000kb or 30mb a month. I reckon that is a bit too kind. I will say 50-100mb a month.



    Given mobile data packs being around a gig, between 5-10% of that data is ads. I doubt every user is maxing out though (wifi or cell) I am a heavy user and I rarely hit a gig a month down to my phone with both wifi and data combined (not a big media steamer). So I shall 500mb a month to each mobile device. 10-20% a month is now ads.



    I reckon out of all that 10% feels right. What is data pack cost over USA, $30 gets a gig or some such?



    Anyway these freaking ads are a minimum 10% drain on data down a month. Desktop would be far worse. It is a bit of a balancing act, many sites have a mobile version, the ads are simpler and in app are mostly a simple banner.



    We pay measurable amounts for this crap plus wait measurable amounts longer to access the content we want as the crap downloads. Costing us money, free time etc.



    I reckon the cost equation to the user is high. I could go and research to get accurate numbers for all of the bits but at 2:30am I can't be bothered. I would say it would not come out looking better but worse.



    If anyone can I would love to see the result posted.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,234member
    Android has really been taking a clobbering lately! That is so funny!



    News like this makes me all fuzzy and warm inside.
  • gatorguygatorguy Posts: 15,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I get why iOS is gaining and BB is losing but why is Android losing? Can someone define wining for me again¡



    Actually it didn't "lose" ad impressions did it?. Market share percentages may have gone down in North America, but the number if impressions almost assuredly went up overall.



    It's the same argument some here made for Apple "losing" on the smartphone front a few months back when only market percentages were changing. How could Apple be losing when their sales were rising so fast.



    How about this: They're not winning as fast as Apple is.
  • mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Very misleading article. You have to read closely:



    Quote:

    The data comes from InMobi's network, serving more than 93.4 billion advertising impressions around the world each month.



    Keep in mind most advertising on Android comes from Google (even most app makers use Google's AdMob).



    So no surprise that iOS would have a higher share of a non-Google advertising service.
  • absolutedesignzabsolutedesignz Posts: 1,930member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Actually it didn't "lose" ad impressions did it?. Market share percentages may have gone down in North America, but the number if impressions almost assuredly went up overall.



    It's the same argument some here made for Apple "losing" on the smartphone front a few months back when only market percentages were changing. How could Apple be losing when their sales were rising so fast.



    How about this: They're not winning as fast as Apple is.



    lol I always hated that "iPhone is slipping" argument...



    Retarded.
Sign In or Register to comment.