Fans commemorate 57th birthday of late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Friday would have been the 57th birthday of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, who passed away last October after a long battle with cancer.

Jobs was born on Feb. 24, 1955, in San Francisco, Calif. In recognition of this, the phrase "Happy Birthday Steve Jobs" was a worldwide trending topic Friday on the social networking site Twitter, where thousands of users remembered the late inventor.

"Happy Birthday Steve Jobs. Innovation wouldn't be the same without you," the official Twitter account of General Electric wrote.

A popular tweet among users has been: "3 Apples changed the world: Adam and Eve's forbidden apple, Newton's apple and finally Steve Jobs's Apple. Happy Birthday Steve Jobs."

A year ago, Apple celebrated the birthday of Jobs by releasing new MacBook Pro models with new high-speed Thunderbolt ports and Intel's Sandy Bridge processors. There was a rumor that the company wanted to launch a third-generation iPad to commemorate Jobs's birthday this year, but that proved to be incorrect. Apple is expected to hold an event to announce its next iPad on March 7.

Included below is Jobs's memorable commencement speech to graduates of Stanford University in 2005, in which he spoke about his thoughts on life and death.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Rest in Peace Steve. You changed the world not only for me, but millions of others too. Good job!
  • Reply 2 of 43
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Thanks Steve for pushing technology forward... Rest Well.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Thanks Steve for pushing technology forward... Rest Well.

Coming from you this seems so sarcastic, lol

RIP Steve.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Coming from you this seems so sarcastic, lol

RIP Steve.

not really...few Android fans/tech fans/non-Apple fans deny that Steve Jobs advanced tech considerably.

The majority may deny that Apple deserves ALLLL the credit, but they do recognize greatness.

on that note...RIP Steve.

The world could use more people with an eye for greatness like you had
  • Reply 5 of 43
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    You will be missed forever.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    You had only 57 short years on this Earth, but you changed the world like few others have done.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Steve Jobs was the man! RIP

It's too bad that I never received that Steve Jobs action figure which I ordered a while back. I did finally receive a full refund from that Hong Kong company.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I am sure everybody has seen the SJ Stanford commencement speech by now, but it is worth watch again, and it is worth watching the Stanford version which includes a very glowing introduction by John Hennessy (Stanford president). The video has a much higher resolution which alone makes it a better watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd_ptbiPoXM
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am sure everybody has seen the SJ Stanford commencement speech by now, but it is worth watch again, and it is worth watching the Stanford version which includes a very glowing introduction by John Hennessy (Stanford president). The video has a much higher resolution which alone makes it a better watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd_ptbiPoXM

I have yet to watch it. Perhaps I'll do that this morning. Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    I fully realize that this is not relevant to the main thrust of the article, BUT...nowhere is it said that Adam and Eve ate an apple. Just saying.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    I disagree that 3 apples changed the world. I don't believe in any fairytales such as Adam & Eve and an apple never did land on Newton's head, so the only true apple is the one that's connected to Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

I fully realize that this is not relevant to the main thrust of the article, BUT...nowhere is it said that Adam and Eve ate an apple. Just saying.

It was actually a mango. Little known fact
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I disagree that 3 apples changed the world. I don't believe in any fairytales such as Adam & Eve and an apple never did land on Newton's head, so the only true apple is the one that's connected to Steve Jobs.

Don't forget the Beatles' Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Don't forget the Beatles' Apple.

Yeah, that's true. That was the record label which they created.

I was referring to the silly tweet that was floating around.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

It was actually a mango. Little known fact

A mango, huh?

• Reply 16 of 43
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

In Western Christian art, the fruit of the tree is commonly depicted as the apple, which originated in central Asia. This depiction may have originated as a Latin pun: by eating the malum (apple), Eve contracted mālum (evil). or simply because of religious artists' poetic license.

Sure the name of the company Steve created is "Apple" (or various forms thereof - Apple Computer, Apple Inc, d.b.a Apple, etc) but that is in a way just an indirect or (searching for the right word here not metaphor or hypothetical) representation of the embodiment of the philosophy of design and purpose that went into and created the products and services.

In a similar way - whether or not there was ever a literal fruit in a literal garden and whether is was or wasn't an apple - the use of the word apple to convey the philosophical importance of the story remains.

In the case of Newton - perhaps the apple did not fall literally on his head - and perhaps there was no apple involved at all - or he used an apple falling as an illustration of his idea - again - it is a useful social construct to convert the story without an entire wikipedia page of information to get the point across.

Regardless - my life is richer and access to information easier thanks to the contribution Steve made to both technology and culture.

I wonder if his contribution put enough people on the right path towards the future that his loss will not be so great that progress slows to a crawl in his absence.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Five apples that changed the world:

1. Apple I - 1976

2. Macintosh - 1984

3. iPod - 2001

4. iPhone - 2007

5. iPad - 2010
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Did any one notice that Google did not have a custom doodle ???

else it has it for every major inventor ...

Google what a shame ...
  • Reply 19 of 43
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ninadpchaudhari View Post

Did any one notice that Google did not have a custom doodle ???

else it has it for every major inventor ...

Google what a shame ...

Well what did he invent?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A mango, huh?

Good one

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Five apples that changed the world:

1. Apple I - 1976