Apple begins selling iPhone 4 units built in Brazil

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

If not for the Foxcon logo, I'd swear that this was a picture of a prison.

If you knew anything about the crime and murder in Brazil, you'd be wondering why it didn't look worse.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    8 gig? Yikes, that's not much space.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Obviously there are other factors at work. I just saw that 1 Brazilian real is worth about .58 USD. Perhaps this disparity plays a part? What's their rate of inflation?

6 per cent a year.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Officials in Brazil initially began pushing for Apple's products to be manufactured in their country in hopes that it would lead to for its citizens.

This seems like a very strange comment. The only reason prices were high was because of the government imposed import duties, right?
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is just the way it is in Latin America. Every home or business that has anything of value in it is protected with that type of razor wire. Notice that the angle of the stanchions is pointing in rather than out. I take that to mean that they don't want the employees on the inside to get out with any goods, rather than to keep intruders out as is the normal installation. They probably don't worry so much about intruders since it is in full operation 24/7.

That's just the way it is ANYWHERE in the world. Why would barbed wire be the exception? Even here in Switzerland we see the same thing around industrial installations...please stop this nonsense.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Even here in Switzerland we see the same thing around industrial installations.

Everybody has guns in Switzerland.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KA47 View Post

Stupid proview thought it had the right to ask the government to stop the exports!!!

The key to the issue of right or wrong is whether you believe Proview's argument about the proxy company to be just because we know it to be true. They didn't know it was Apple they were dealing with. They say that companies shouldn't be allowed to use fake names to trick people into asking less for IP etc. If you believe that to be a just argument then Apple should not have lied and thus Proview shouldn't have to abide by a dealing made under false pretenses and thus in bad faith. So by that argument they have every right to demand that the government not allow such violating products to exit the country and thus allow Apple to profit from their crime.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Proview is just protecting its own copyrights.

No, as irresponsible as lawmakers are they don't offer copyright on a four letter word. It is a trademark for a miserably failed product that has not been produced in about 10 years by a company that has failed and is bankrupt. On top of all that they sold the rights to their trademark and are only now whining that they wish they had charged a higher price because of the astounding success of a product that they, Proview, had nothing to do with its design or production.

A very tawdry tale that reflects poorly on all the hard working and excellent companies. It is their option to try to pull this sort of scam, but that does not mean we have to treat it with deference.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

That's just the way it is ANYWHERE in the world. Why would barbed wire be the exception? Even here in Switzerland we see the same thing around industrial installations...please stop this nonsense.

Sorry dude. Truth hurts. I feel your pain. I don't want to go into detail about my personal knowledge of this situation but suffice it to say that razor wire isn't the same thing as barbed wire.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Brazil does have a higher than average crime rate.

I don't remember the last time I've seen concertina wire around industrial locations like that. The worst I've seen in a while is simple strings of simple barbed wire.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The key to the issue of right or wrong is whether you believe Proview's argument about the proxy company to be just because we know it to be true. They didn't know it was Apple they were dealing with. They say that companies shouldn't be allowed to use fake names to trick people into asking less for IP etc. If you believe that to be a just argument then Apple should not have lied and thus Proview shouldn't have to abide by a dealing made under false pretenses and thus in bad faith. So by that argument they have every right to demand that the government not allow such violating products to exit the country and thus allow Apple to profit from their crime.

The Disney company bought a lot of the land for Disney World in Florida by using several dummy companies. This practice is not new, nor is it limited to Apple or tech companies. While it may be a little sneaky, it's neither illegal or unheard of. Proview getting $55,000 for the name of a product they hadn't produced in years was probably the best they could have done at the time. As others have mentioned, if the iPad had been a complete flop, it was a wast of $55k on Apple's part.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

That place looks like a high-security supermax Prison facility, in that photo. So that is where they are building the iPhones? I wouldn't wanna work there.

"Foxconn: Where dark totalitarian 1984 really is a reality."

As a resident of Texas, you should be an expert in these matters.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    I'm getting numerous updates for app icons only, wonder if it has to do with the redying of the new iPad resolution.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    WTF is wrong with AI allowing these cheap blinking HTML5 animations that are replacing Flash. Is HTML5 the new Flash? Do I, who happens to be overweight, have too be seeing "In your face" blinking insults? I use ClicktoFlack for this very reason and now they're going to get around my block with HTML5? Even the Flash ads were better made than these cheap shots.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

If not for the Foxcon logo, I'd swear that this was a picture of a prison.

There's a prison and several plants/factories where I live. This is definitely a factory. Only one row of fences, fences too short, building too close to the fences, parking inside the fences. I've seen some aerospace industry plants with more impressive security.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    There you go... they have to pay almost twice as much to have it made locally. Screw that, I'll have mine made in Asia.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

There you go... they have to pay almost twice as much to have it made locally. Screw that, I'll have mine made in Asia.

They're paying the same. The root problems are still unaddressed, which is the import taxes on electronics. If the components they bring in are still taxed ridiculously, then there's only so much savings to be had by assembling them locally. Assembly is a small portion of the cost of making a product.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Hope they work out these kinks and soon. It would be really good for apple to diversify where it assembles it's products.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Inside Her View Post

I wonder if the backside of the phones will be bigger

(I don't think anyone else got this)
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

They're paying the same. The root problems are still unaddressed, which is the import taxes on electronics. If the components they bring in are still taxed ridiculously, then there's only so much savings to be had by assembling them locally.

Assembly is a small portion of the cost of making a product.

And that's the case because of inexpensive labor in China, relative to here in the U.S. If the labor costs were 10x ($17.50/hr instead of $1.75/hr), assembly would no longer be a tiny portion of the total costs. Presumably, Brazil is somewhere between.