New Apple Stores to open in Europe, Australia and North America

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Amid record earnings and continually strong sales at its retail outlets, Apple is reportedly planning to open stores in Stockholm, Vancouver and South Perth, while rumors point to a second Seattle location.

News of yet to be announced Apple Stores, outed by online job postings and insider whispers, has been cropping up recently and Apple retail website ifoAppleStore.com now alleges that the Cupertino, Calif., company will be opening at least four new outlets in the near future.

Sweden

Through job postings on its Swedish website, the Cupertino, Calif., company revealed on Tuesday that it plans to open the first Scandinavian Apple Store, according to website Allt om Mac.

Although the exact location of the retail outlet has not been disclosed, it is believed that store will be built in Stockholm's city center.

A November, 2011 report from Swedish newspaper Expressen claims () that the Apple Store will take the place of the Audi's old offices in Hamngatan, though the rumor was unsubstantiated.

Current openings include managers, back-of-house personnel and Genius Bar positions, among others.

Lending further evidence was the registration of a new company called "Apple Retail Sweden AB," which was filed for in 2011 at the Swedish Company Registration Office in Stockholm's Stureplan square.

The store is expected to open its doors in September.

Job listing on Apple's Swedish website. | Source: Apple

Australia

Perth is reportedly getting a second Apple Store in fall, and according to insiders the outlet is planned for construction in the affluent suburb of South Perth which is a 10 minute drive from the region's existing store.

Because the town of lacks a large mall or shopping district, it is thought that Apple will build the storefront on one of the area's main thoroughfares.

The South Perth location is approximately 1,700 miles away from the next-nearest Australian Apple Store in Melbourne and will serve the city's 38,000 residents as well as surrounding areas.

Based on current construction plans, the store could open by September.

Existing Perth Apple Store. | Source: Apple

Vancouver

Job listings on Apple's website point to openings at a new store in the Coquitlam Centre shopping mall in Vancouver.

The site will be the fifth Apple Store for British Columbia's largest city, and will join the main central location that is flanked by three others in surrounding suburbs.

Apple's newest Vancouver outlet will also be the company's easternmost and will service customers from a number of commuter suburbs.

Judging by the posting date of the job listing, the store is likely to open in September.

Coquitlam Centre exterior view. | Source: CoquitlamCenter.com

Seattle

New information from "tipsters" is rekindling a rumor that Apple is supposedly seeking out a second Seattle location that will complement its University Village storefront.

The Broadacres Building is now seen as a prime locale for an Apple Store as Nordstrom Rack is planning on relocating, which will leave a three-story space vacant.

Sources claim that Apple's real estate team has showed in interest about leasing part or all of the 43,000 square-foot space that takes up the basement, first and second levels of the building, though a deal has yet to materialize.

Broadacres Building with large Nordstrom Rack space. | Source: ifoAppleStore.com

Broadacres is set in downtown Seattle near Pike Place Market and is approximately five miles south of the University Village Apple Store.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    How about an apple store in Bloomington Indiana?!? 40,000 undergrads deserves one!
  • Reply 2 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    How about Sarasota, FL... I'm here!
  • Reply 3 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

How about an apple store in Bloomington Indiana?!? 40,000 undergrads deserves one!

Not in the English department I'm guessing.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Perth is like one of the suburbs of South West Sydney, where the nearest Apple stores are over an hour away.

Minto Mall, an almost derelict shopping centre would provide an ideal location and due to the owners being bankrupt would be a cheap investment.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    I wonder how those Microsoft stores are doing.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

I wonder how those Microsoft stores are doing.

I was thinking the same thing? How many have they opened since the 1st batch?
  • Reply 7 of 61
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Perth is like one of the suburbs of South West Sydney, where the nearest Apple stores are over an hour away.

Minto Mall, an almost derelict shopping centre would provide an ideal location and due to the owners being bankrupt would be a cheap investment.

Ha ha!
  • Reply 8 of 61
    SOUTH PERTH YEAHHH! Represent, y'all. Reprezent....

[Yes, not a very "aussie" expression]
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The South Perth location is approximately 1,700 miles away from the next-nearest Australian Apple Store in Melbourne and will serve the city's 38,000 residents as well as surrounding areas...

For those unfamiliar, and sharing my impressions, the greater metro area, within a 35km radius of the CBD, should be roughly 1.5 million people.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Depends. For most people within 15km of the CBD, the Perth CBD Apple Store is at most 30 minutes away outside of commute hours.

With the South Perth store, not having to cross the river means anyone within 30km south of the river will just have to travel 30 minutes at most. And it makes things more accessible to Freemantle residents.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Update [from ifoAppleStore]: Locals speculate the store will be located within the Garden City shopping mall located in Booragoon, somewhat southwest of South Perth

OK, this makes more sense, Garden City is Perth's most upscale shopping mall, and right in the heart of the suburbs south of the CBD. So, besides the CBD location, this new Perth Apple Store will cater to the *entire* southern part of the metro area, including suburbs/towns such as Freemantle and Armadale, upcoming "regional/semi-regional" areas. Also, this Garden City store will be more accessible to residents in the south, since one won't have to go through the Mitchell Fwy and Canning Hwy.

But it also depends on how the new Sunday Trading Hours is implemented, because it would be very un-Apple if it wasn't open when the rest of the mall is fully open, unless it has very separate frontage. We'll see.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    We need a CBD store in Melbourne. Doncaster and Chadstone are affluent areas, but not central.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not in the English department I'm guessing.

But don't get any funny ideas, that's my old English Department yer talkin' about. Some fine teachers back in the 60s, yessir.

Motto engraved in oolitic limestone over the main entrance to the library: "A good book is the precious lifeblood of the master spirit."

Should now be amended to: "A good iBook is the precious lifeblood . . . "
  • Reply 13 of 61
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Is there one in Indianapolis? An excuse to go to Trader Joe's on the same trip for some cases of Three Buck Chuck.

I love Bloomington. You are right, it deserves an Apple store, even if there's not enough of a market. What about the IU Bookstore? Not even? Barbaric, if not.

Soon as Tim calls me back I'll put in a word.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Update [from ifoAppleStore]: Locals speculate the store will be located within the Garden City shopping mall located in Booragoon, somewhat southwest of South Perth

OK, this makes more sense, Garden City is Perth's most upscale shopping mall, and right in the heart of the suburbs south of the CBD. So, besides the CBD location, this new Perth Apple Store will cater to the *entire* southern part of the metro area, including suburbs/towns such as Freemantle and Armadale, upcoming "regional/semi-regional" areas. Also, this Garden City store will be more accessible to residents in the south, since one won't have to go through the Mitchell Fwy and Canning Hwy.

But it also depends on how the new Sunday Trading Hours is implemented, because it would be very un-Apple if it wasn't open when the rest of the mall is fully open, unless it has very separate frontage. We'll see.

Makes far more sense. South Perth would be a waste of time. Doesn't have enough traffic, unless it was on Canning hwy; a shocker of a road at anytime. Garden City would be ideal as it is always busy and is accessible from most areas in the South.

Not sure how Sunday trading would affect it, does Apple not open stores on Sundays?

And anyway, why the big push for Sunday trading? Can't people have one day without worrying about shopping.

Cheers

Mike

Currently absent Perthite
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

We need a CBD store in Melbourne. Doncaster and Chadstone are affluent areas, but not central.

Yeah, that's weird how there's no Melbourne CBD Apple Store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

Makes far more sense. South Perth would be a waste of time. Doesn't have enough traffic, unless it was on Canning hwy; a shocker of a road at anytime. Garden City would be ideal as it is always busy and is accessible from most areas in the South.

Not sure how Sunday trading would affect it, does Apple not open stores on Sundays?

And anyway, why the big push for Sunday trading? Can't people have one day without worrying about shopping.

Cheers

Mike

Currently absent Perthite

Hello ... Apple Store Perth CBD is open on Sundays, but it's on a street. Garden City is closed on Sundays, the Libs are now passing legislation that allows shops to open 11am to 5pm on Sunday. Which will apparently only kick in August or September this year.

Apple could have a Garden City store but they would have to coincide with the other stores opening on Sunday, it would be weird to just have Apple and a few other shops open. Unless they had some other street frontage or non-mall location.

As for Sunday trading? Well, it's a matter of convenience, sometimes you need to do stuff and get stuff, so that you don't cram your life into Mon-Sat. As long as worker compensation ("penalties", etc) are still taken care of I'm fine with it. I understand the regulation motives, but it would be easier to deregulate hours but ensure worker rights, wages and compensations for late night shifts, Sundays and Public Holidays are watertight.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    How about an apple store in Montevideo, Uruguay?
  • Reply 17 of 61
    I wonder how apple's customers are going to feel when they realise their shinny new mac can't set a more legible dpi for fonts thus enlarging them system wide for usability and all its fonts will be prey to whatever native resolution said mac they bought has. They might be a tad disappointed as well when they most likely will have trouble connecting to their smb shares in nas drives, home or office networks, and they certainly won't be able to search said network via the finder. I am sure they are also going to have a ball witht the indescernible monochromatic hell of lion which is of course all about contnent. Some of them will also be rushing to their local optometrists to make do with the glares galores of the untreated glassy surfaces where the glass is not even fused to the screen.

At some point in their trajectory apple was less about brick and mortar and churning one mac and itoy after the other and more about technological and aesthetic innovation. Anyone in there has the guts to shake things up a bit, diversify their line up and give us something to get excited about again. I would kill for the ergonomic and aesthetic tour de force that was the iMac g4.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sources claim that Apple's real estate team has showed in interest about leasing part or all of the 43,000 square-foot space that takes up the basement, first and second levels of the building...

But not the ground floor? Interesting.

I'm guessing there's simply a mix up here as Apple is likely interested in the basement and ground and first floors, keeping the 3 floors of the store tied together.
  • Reply 19 of 61

This store looks like a repurposed trolley barn. Rip it down and make a glass cube, please.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

This store looks like a repurposed trolley barn. Rip it down and make a glass cube, please.

It thought it looked terrible too, but it's probably a well regarded landmark.