RIM releases PlayBook OS 2.0 two months late

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Ailing Research in Motion on Tuesday released the long-awaited PlayBook OS 2.0 update for the company's tablet, but poor sales and missed deadlines could translate into a product that offers too little, too late.

The second version of RIM's PlayBook operating system, which also happens to be the first overhaul issued for the tablet since its launch in early 2011, has finally been issued to device owners after a year-long wait. The Canadian company originally promised that PlayBook OS 2.0 would be out by December of last year.

In a recent statement by Chief Executive Thorsten Heins, who took over as company head in January, it was announced that RIM planned to stay the course and push forward with its tablet operation despite the product's apparent shortcomings.

Since its debut, RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook has been a perennially poor performer that faced harsh critical reviews, suffered abysmal sales numbers and was a loss leader which ultimately cost the company$485 million dollars in unsold units by the end of last year.

The overall lack of interest in the device may be a symptom of the limited content available from RIM's BlackBerry App World, which reportedly supplies only 60,000 apps. In comparison, Apple is currently counting down to the 25 billionth download from its App Store, which boasts over 550,000 apps.

The disparity between RIM and Apple's tablet business has become so great that some analysts have estimated the BlackBerry maker is worth less than Apple's App Store alone.

RIM hopes that the new OS will breathe some life back into the PlayBook platform, though it is doubtful that the changes will bring the device in line with or even close to offerings from competitors.

BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 brings minor enhancements to RIM's tablet. | Source: BlackBerry.com

The PlayBook OS 2.0 over-the-air download comes in at over 500 MB, offering various bug fixes and UI tweaks, but perhaps the most talked about feature is the addition of a native email client.

In an overview of the new features provided by OS 2.0, RIM touts the app's unified inbox, HTML-compatible messaging, and attachment downloads.

Also new to 2.0 are native calendar and contacts apps that can interface with social media networks such as Facebook and Twitter.

A device linking feature called BlackBerry Bridge was revamped and allows users to remotely control the PlayBook with a BlackBerry smartphone.

In addition to the software enhancements, RIM has slashed the prices of the entire PlayBook line, with the entry-level 16 GB model costing $199. The drop brings the tablet into the price range of the Kindle Fire, however sales of the PlayBok are not expected to reach the level of Amazon's device or Apple's iPad.

For some, the update may be underwhelming, and while the changes aren't flashy or drastic, they manage to bring much needed functionality to the aging device.

RIM is expected to launch a series of smartphones that will run the company's also-delayed BlackBerry OS 10 in the second half of 2012, though pundits are skeptical that software updates alone are enough to resuscitate the once-powerful phone maker.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 143
    This is depressing. I cant imagine the sort of person that would be excited about BB 10 or anything else RiM could release at this point.
  • Reply 2 of 143
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    To me this ad says "If you are the kind of person who wastes money on pretentious decor and food... boy do we have the tablet for you!"
  • Reply 3 of 143
    Where is my Playbook Android emulator ?
  • Reply 4 of 143
    I'm so glad that RIM has released OS 2.0 with its several new features and fixes. Too bad I purchased only 3 PlayBooks and not more -- so happy to also support a Canadian technology company. So thank you, RIM. I'm loving the simultaneous Bluetooth support of mouse, keyboard, and stereo Bluetooth headphones! The dual HD cameras still work great. And all this only "two months late". Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.
  • Reply 5 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Where is my Playbook Android emulator ?

It is invisibly integrated into OS 2.0 Download any of the Android Apps in the App store (search for Android) and you will notice the subtle difference.
  • Reply 6 of 143
    Fact check!

Apple is NOT currently counting down to its 10 billionth app sold. It is counting down to its 25 billionth! The link in the story about the 10 billionth app countdown is over a year old!
  • Reply 7 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

As soon as I'm finished bobbing my head up and down to attract a mate I'll properly respond to that.
  • Reply 8 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grblade View Post

Fact check!

Apple is NOT currently counting down to its 10 billionth app sold. It is counting down to its 25 billionth! The link in the story about the 10 billionth app countdown is over a year old!

Yup the ticker is right on there on apple.com
  • Reply 9 of 143
    Quote:

Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

Ok, you caught me, I am a lizard brain hater. Ever since that lizard killed my dog and stoled my bible I've hated them damn lizards!! The only good lizard is a dead lizard!!
  • Reply 10 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grblade View Post

Fact check!

Apple is NOT currently counting down to its 10 billionth app sold. It is counting down to 25 billion! The link in the story about the 10 billionth app countdown is over a year old!

You took the words out of my mouth. I was thinking this article must have been written more than a year ago when I saw that. LOL The entire article was poorly written (spelling and grammar).
  • Reply 11 of 143
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

I'm so glad that RIM has released OS 2.0 with its several new features and fixes. Too bad I purchased only 3 PlayBooks and not more -- so happy to also support a Canadian technology company. So thank you, RIM. I'm loving the simultaneous Bluetooth support of mouse, keyboard, and stereo Bluetooth headphones! The dual HD cameras still work great. And all this only "two months late". Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

Serious question- what do you do with 3 playbooks? And why would you want more?
  • Reply 12 of 143
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I haven't followed RIM lately, but do they still have dual CEO's? I guess that proves that dual core is not always better than a single core. Can you imagine what RIM would be like with Quad Ceo's? I notice that some people seem to support RIM because they're a Canadian company. That's a pretty retarded reason, IMO. Don't let nationalistic idiocy cloud your minds.

For those of us who live outside of Apple?s distortion field, we know that 7? tablets will actually be a big portion of the market and we know that Adobe Flash support actually matters to customers who want a real web experience. ? Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO at Research In Motion (RIM)

If there's anybody who's living inside of a distortion reality field, it's RIM and their supporters. How are those 7" tablets going by the way? I believe that we can safely say that they definitely do not make up a big portion of the market. They don't even make up a small portion of the market.

?7-inch tablets are tweeners: too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with the iPad,? - Steve Jobs

Wow, that Steve Jobs sure was a smart guy. It looks like what he said turned out to be completely accurate. If we examine those two statements, the first one from RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie VS the second statement from Steve Jobs, it's quite easy to see who exactly was living in a fantasy world back when those statements were made.

Has anybody checked out RIM's stock lately? Ouch.
  • Reply 13 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

If you use Flash to deliver your video you'll need 3 to equal the usage of one iPad.
    Just kidding. It's not that bad and they obviously offer HTML5, Flash-free video options.
  • Reply 14 of 143
    Quote:

He stacks them up and builds a little house out of them.

For a small pet perhaps.
  • Reply 15 of 143
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Just kidding. It's not that bad and they obviously offer HTML5, Flash-free video options as well as a Netflix app.

Netflix app?

Are you sure? I just read this today:

Bad News for Blackberry: Netflix Not Interested

In response to a user who asked about a possible Netflix app for the BlackBerry Playbook tablet, Netflix's Twitter support account replied that the company has no current plans to support BlackBerry devices, including the Playbook.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25059...nterested.html
  • Reply 16 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yup the ticker is right on there on apple.com

They fixed it. Thank you, AppleInsider! We're here to keep you respectable.
  • Reply 17 of 143
    Quote:

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.
  • Reply 18 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Netflix app?

Are you sure? I just read this today:

Bad News for Blackberry: Netflix Not Interested

In response to a user who asked about a possible Netflix app for the BlackBerry Playbook tablet, Netflix's Twitter support account replied that the company has no current plans to support BlackBerry devices, including the Playbook.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25059...nterested.html

You're right. It's just an app to manage your queue. I don't think you can even watch it in the browser because Netflix uses MS Silverlight which I don't think is supported on the Playbook OS.
  • Reply 19 of 143
    Quote:

Your post is so canned it's awesome. Seriously, buddy, you made my night. Go Canada!
  • Reply 20 of 143
    Quote:

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.

Not everyone has a family yet??!