New Apple Stores to open in Europe, Australia and North America

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

This store looks like a repurposed trolley barn. Rip it down and make a glass cube, please.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It thought it looked terrible too, but it's probably a well regarded landmark.

Nice to see you two paragons in agreement.

I think the repurposing of the retro gingerbread building—don't know what else to call it, maybe someone could enlighten me—into the standard Apple Moderne produces an amazing effect. And one also wants to preserve wherever possible, if the building warrants it al all.

Edit: So far, I can't find much on the building, except that it's "historic." Anybody?
  • Reply 22 of 61
    You are forgetting the first official Apple Store in Amsterdam, the Netherlands opening on March 3, 2012

• Reply 23 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Nice to see you two paragons in agreement.

I think the repurposing of the retro gingerbread building—don't know what else to call it, maybe someone could enlighten me—into the standard Apple Moderne produces an amazing effect. And one also wants to preserve wherever possible, if the building warrants it al all.

Edit: So far, I can't find much on the building, except that it's "historic." Anybody?

Her is a little more info. I haven't checked the address yet. Maybe sunilraman needs to do a recon mission.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

But not the ground floor? Interesting.

I'm guessing there's simply a mix up here as Apple is likely interested in the basement and ground and first floors, keeping the 3 floors of the store tied together.

The first floor is the ground floor. You must be thinking of the way they number floors in Europe, with #1 being one floor up from the street.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Her is a little more info. I haven't checked the address yet.

Wow. A facadectomy. I'm doubly surprised.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

I wonder how those Microsoft stores are doing.

They are building a HUGE one right beside the Apple store in the Stanford shopping centre. I'd post a pic if I was allowed to.....

It's funny though, the hoarding has Microsoft products, 3/4 of which are rip offs of Apple products....
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Time for another T-Shirt. I have one from every Vancouver store.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

You are forgetting the first official Apple Store in Amsterdam, the Netherlands opening on March 3, 2012

That was already mentioned in it's own thread a week or so ago.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    I'm surprised that Apple is looking for its second Seattle store in Downtown Seattle. My guess would've been the recently-renovated Northgate Mall, which is adjacent to I-5 just a few miles south of Seattle's northern city limits boundary.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

I wonder how those Microsoft stores are doing.

I dunno - I was wondering that myself. There's one here in Atlanta at Lennox Mall. Looks fancy, and is almost identical in setup to the Apple store. I didn't go in there, but there weren't tons of folks in there. Maybe 10? Not many at all on a Saturday afternoon.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricmes1957 View Post

How about an apple store in Montevideo, Uruguay?

With the manufacturing expansion to Brazil I'd expect South and Central America to be logical locations for future Apple Stores.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Funny. I see all the locations Apple uses and it's often a historic building or unique location.

Then I see they're making one in Coquitlam Centre in Coquitlam, BC (not Vancouver BTW, but near to Vancouver). What a hole that area is.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    We have five Apple stores within 20 minutes of my house in Orange County, CA. Of course now you could probably put a pin on the map where I live.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

I'm surprised that Apple is looking for its second Seattle store in Downtown Seattle. My guess would've been the recently-renovated Northgate Mall, which is adjacent to I-5 just a few miles south of Seattle's northern city limits boundary.

There's already one at Alderwood mall in Lynnwood (ok we get it there's lots of trees around here) which isn't too far from Northgate. I'm pretty sure there isn't an Apple store that's actually downtown. U-district is close but I think one closer to the downtown shopping experience makes a lot of sense. Im surprised there isn't one there yet.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

We have five Apple stores within 20 minutes of my house in Orange County, CA. Of course now you could probably put a pin on the map where I live.

Don't worry mate, we already knew where you live. Nice shoes you're wearing by the way.

- Regards, Eric Scmidt.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Don't worry mate, we already knew where you live. Nice shoes you're wearing by the way.

- Regards, Eric Scmidt.

Lollll! Good one!
  • Reply 37 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duaneu2 View Post

The first floor is the ground floor. You must be thinking of the way they number floors in Europe, with #1 being one floor up from the street.

I wasn't aware it was a European thing. Yes, in Europe the street floor is called the ground floor and the first floor is the one above. Basements are few and far between in this part of the world.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I wonder how apple's customers are going to feel when they realise their shinny new mac can't set a more legible dpi for fonts thus enlarging them system wide for usability and all its fonts will be prey to whatever native resolution said mac they bought has. They might be a tad disappointed as well when they most likely will have trouble connecting to their smb shares in nas drives, home or office networks, and they certainly won't be able to search said network via the finder. I am sure they are also going to have a ball witht the indescernible monochromatic hell of lion which is of course all about contnent. Some of them will also be rushing to their local optometrists to make do with the glares galores of the untreated glassy surfaces where the glass is not even fused to the screen.

At some point in their trajectory apple was less about brick and mortar and churning one mac and itoy after the other and more about technological and aesthetic innovation. Anyone in there has the guts to shake things up a bit, diversify their line up and give us something to get excited about again. I would kill for the ergonomic and aesthetic tour de force that was the iMac g4.

Huh? That's the thing about nostalgia. It isn't what it used to be.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

Huh? That's the thing about nostalgia. It isn't what it used to be.

That's much better than my "They don't make nostalgia like they used to."
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

This store looks like a repurposed trolley barn. Rip it down and make a glass cube, please.

It has a real Trompe-l'?il appearance to it. You know, like those scenes Wile E. Coyote would paint to fool the road runner but turned out to be real until Wile E. Coyote tried to follow. Pay no attention, I just biked too long today and am suffering from too much exertion.