Adobe Photoshop Touch for iPad expected to hit App Store Monday for $9.99

24

Comments

  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Had a program with exactly these features, ease of use and power been released by Apple it would have been instantly hailed as the Photoshop killer by the regular Adobe haters around here.



    If Apple drops the ball most people call them out on it. FCPX is a great example of this.



    Note the most popular product by Apple is the iPhone 4S which has an 8Mpx camera. That's a resolution of 3264x2448 yet this app can only edit images that are 1600x1600. That's less than 1/3 the number of pixels of the iPhone 4S.



    But wait, it gets worse. Even images from the iPhone 4 can't be used because it shoots at 5Mpx which is 2592x1936 resolution. That's a problem because I can see many customers who want to edit images on their iPad are likely to be using an iPhone.
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,468member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I don't think it is Air exactly. It is probably iOS packager for Flash which exports pure native iOS api functionality.



    Are you saying that they have an app that takes Flash source and generates Objective C source?



    Any idea on how efficient it is?



    Any link?



    I am curious because, years ago (maimframes) they had "sift" programs that did this -- badly!



    The most recent experience I had was about 12 years ago -- where Adobe ColdFusion scripting language was converted on-the-fly to Java Source then jit-compiled into byte code...



    The result was OK -- but not very efficient (e.g. ColdFusion variables were type-less and inefficient to translate and process).
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    If Apple drops the ball most people call them out on it. FCPX is a great example of this.



    Note the most popular product by Apple is the iPhone 4S which has an 8Mpx camera. That's a resolution of 3264x2448 yet this app can only edit images that are 1600x1600. That's less than 1/3 the number of pixels of the iPhone 4S.



    But wait, it gets worse. Even images from the iPhone 4 can't be used because it shoots at 5Mpx which is 2592x1936 resolution. That's a problem because I can see many customers who want to edit images on their iPad are likely to be using an iPhone.



    You can crop and scale. How often does an amateur iPhone photographer actually want to capture edge to edge scenery? And if they did the export for that photo is likely for Facebook. It is not a substitute for the desktop version of Photoshop. It is an upgrade to the current PS for iOS.
  • applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Adobe is to design, what Jay Leno is to comedy.



    They're both dinosaurs.



    I'd like to see Apple deliver 'MacPaint Retina' for the iPad 3.
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Are you saying that they have an app that takes Flash source and generates Objective C source?



    Yes, however I would guess that they are using a custom version which is actually starting life as a Flex application.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    You can crop and scale. How often does an amateur iPhone photographer actually want to capture edge to edge scenery? And if they did the export for that photo is likely for Facebook. It is not a substitute for the desktop version of Photoshop. It is an upgrade to the current PS for iOS.



    If that is the case then why would they buy this app? I certainly wouldn't want to pre-edit images before I edit them.
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    If that is the case then why would they buy this app? I certainly wouldn't want to pre-edit images before I edit them.



    Don't buy it is all I can suggest.



    I take 16 MB images all the time for product shots. The area of interest is usually in the center and uses about a tenth of the available image area. As I said it is not a replacement for the desktop version of PS, however it will be very useful for many people.



    Let's just wait and see how popular it is on the App Store before we give it a total FAIL.
  • relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I've had this program for the last two months on my Asus Slider. Though fun to use and very pretty it's not very powerful. It's more for young adults who just want to put wacky effects on their pictures. it has little to do with the normal Photoshop.



    I guarantee any professional who buys this will only use is it a few times and loose interest. If you guys have any specific questions or would like to see more screen captures just let me know.



    Now my version is the Android one but what I've heard from Adobe is that their identical in every way except the android version has more share options and better file management as iOS does not include a file manager that gives access to the entire drive. (meaning you only have access to certain programs resources like the gallery folder.)



    Oh and you can open up any resolution you just can't save it at more then 1600. Which is more then fine for the iPhone 4S if anyone has concerns. I mean my printer is only 1200dpi which is what this program is for, printing.
  • mauszmausz Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post


    ...they could disappoint a majority of their users and thrill a minority.

    (finished for you )



    I'm not an english-native speaker, but I thought my 'if only' implied I already know/expect it to not have it
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,468member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    If Apple drops the ball most people call them out on it. FCPX is a great example of this.



    Yeah, but this opinion is starting to change.



    For example, a few reputable pros are saying that FCP X muluticam is the best implementation -- bar none!



    More and more 3rd-party support for FCP X appears every week -- fewer important bits are missing...
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Yeah, but this opinion is starting to change.



    For example, a few reputable pros are saying that FCP X muluticam is the best implementation -- bar none!



    More and more 3rd-party support for FCP X appears every week -- fewer important bits are missing...



    Sure, there are good innovations to FCPX as well not to mention its updates, but that doesn't negate the fact that many felt that Apple was taking a step backwards with its initial release. The point is that most will call out Apple when they think they've made a mistake. On the other end Adobe could update this app to resolve all current issues next month.
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Sure, there are good innovations to FCPX as well not to mention its updates, but that doesn't negate the fact that many felt that Apple was taking a step backwards with its initial release. The point is that most will call out Apple when they think they've made a mistake.



    Yeah but FCPX was being released as a PRO application. This version of PS is not. It is what it is. It is not a replacement for the professional version of PS.
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,468member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Don't buy it is all I can suggest.



    I take 16 MB images all the time for product shots. The area of interest is usually in the center and uses about a tenth of the available image area. As I said it is not a replacement for the desktop version of PS, however it will be very useful for many people.



    Let's just wait and see how popular it is on the App Store before we give it a total FAIL.



    Yeah, for $10, I'll buy it...



    I've been playing with PS express on my iPad 2...



    You can crop, but not resize within the app -- so I don't understand what the new app will do to allow you to crop to higher res smaller size.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Yeah but FCPX was being released as a PRO application. This version of PS is not.



    Your right but then I wonder why it's being giving the name of an app known to be a pro app. Granted, I'm not one for using my camera nor editing images but I naturally associate Photoshop with pro. Perhaps that's naive on my part but from PoV that seems to be how Photoshop is perceived.



    But even if you say it's not a pro app, well an iPhone 4 camera is not a pro camera yet as an amateur I have to pre-edit the size before I edit the image, something that only came with iOS 5 before I can use a $10 app which is quite pricey for the App Store? That doesn't seem like it's falls squarely in either category so who is this app for?
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Yeah, for $10, I'll buy it...



    I've been playing with PS express on my iPad 2...



    You can crop, but not resize within the app -- so I don't understand what the new app will do to allow you to crop to higher res smaller size.



    The term crop means maintain the resolution but reduce the image area by excluding pixels surrounding the area of interest. Resize means to change the resolution either by retaining the image size and modifying the resolution or to modify the resolution and maintain the image dimensions. I imagine this new PS for iOS will do both, probably one function at a time within the 1600 pixel limitation, but I haven't used it yet so maybe Relic can weigh in on those capabilities.
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,468member, moderator


    What I like about this is that the pro app developers: MS, Adobe, Apple, etc. appear to be modularizing/repackaging their desktop apps for the iPad and other tablets.



    This is a good trend, IMO, as this will make the iPad "good enough" for many people and many uses!
  • 2oh12oh1 Posts: 476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    He noted that Photoshop is written through Adobe's AIR programming language, explaining why it requires more processing power from the iPad 2.



    What the heck is wrong with Adobe?! I simply do not understand them. Their Mac apps refuse to adhere to the Mac OS. Instead, they look and feel like Windows apps. Photoshop is clunky and takes up the entire screen even if I'm just working on something as simple as designing a frigging 64 by 64 pixel icon. And now, Adobe does it again with an iPad app that might as well have been written for an entirely different tablet. Sheesh.
  • 2oh12oh1 Posts: 476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post


    Adobe is to design, what Jay Leno is to comedy.



    Absolutely.
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Your right but then I wonder why it's being giving the name of an app known to be a pro app. Granted, I'm not one for using my camera nor editing images but I naturally associate Photoshop with pro. Perhaps that's naive on my part but from PoV that seems to be how Photoshop is perceived.



    But even if you say it's not a pro app, well an iPhone 4 camera is not a pro camera yet as an amateur I have to pre-edit the size before I edit the image, something that only came with iOS 5 before I can use a $10 app which is quite pricey for the App Store? That doesn't seem like it's falls squarely in either category so who is this app for?



    I would never assume any application for iOS would be equivalent to the desktop version of the same name and certainly never assume that it would be a pro app. Many people know that Photoshop already has a limited version on iOS plus a Flash based web version, a desktop version called Elements and a full version as well as and extended version with 3D capabilities. Perhaps people who use the current iOS version will consider this upgrade as pro but realistically it is just a touch based iOS version. What do you expect?
  • jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post


    Adobe is to design, what Jay Leno is to comedy.



    They're both dinosaurs.



    I'd like to see Apple deliver 'MacPaint Retina' for the iPad 3.



    Leno is the #1 ranked late night television comedian so your analogy is a bit flawed.
Sign In or Register to comment.