Intel's Mac-bound Ivy Bridge CPUs expected to go on sale 8-10 weeks late

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge processors, sized at 22 nanometers and expected to appear in Apple's updated Mac lineup, will become available eight to 10 weeks later than originally planned, one company official has said.

Sean Maloney, executive vice president and chairman of Intel China, revealed in an interview with the Financial Times that his company's Ivy Bridge processors are now expected to go on sale in June. Those CPUs were originally planned to become available in April.

The apparent delay will allow Intel more time to manufacture the smaller, more complex chips. Maloney indicated that a later June launch was not prompted by a lack of demand.

The comments support a rumor from earlier this month that indicated Intel was forced to push back shipments of its Ivy Bridge processors to June. However, that same report claimed that a "small volume" of chips would be shipped in early April.

Earlier reports had suggested that Intel planned to debut a total of 25 new 22-nanometer Ivy Bridge processors at launch. They would include 17 desktop CPUs and 8 notebook processors.

Initial chips are expected to include models 3820QM, rumored to be priced at $568, and 3720QM, $378, both of which are potential candidates for an updated MacBook Pro. AppleInsider reported earlier this month that Apple plans to radically redesign its MacBook Pro lineup this year, borrowing traits currently found in the company's thin-and-light MacBook Air line.

An illustration of Apple's notebook lineup planned for the 2012 calendar year.

Reports from late last year suggested Apple was planning to launch its updated MacBook Pro lineup in the second quarter of 2012>. It was said the Ivy Bridge-powered notebooks would feature a Retina Display-quality screen resolution of 2,880 by 1,800 pixels, exactly twice that of the 1,440-by-900 display currently found on the 15-inch MacBook Pro.

Retina Display MacBook Pros would be possible with Ivy Bridge because Intel's next-generation chip architecture will bring support for 4K resolution. That gives Apple and other PC makers the option to build a display that is 4,096 pixels across, at a resolution more than twice that of 1080p.

The new Ivy Bridge notebook processors will feature Intel HD Graphics 4000 architecture. High-end MacBook Pros with dedicated graphics are rumored to be powered by Nvidia in Apple's 2012 lineup.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    This has nothing to do with manufacturing process issues. Intel could go straight to 11 nm and beyond (nanotechnology) if they wanted right now. It is just milking the process as much as possible.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge processors, sized at 22 nanometers and expected to appear in Apple's updated Mac lineup, will become available eight to 10 weeks later than originally planned, one company official has said.

How long is Apple going to be at the mercy of Intel? Intel makes it possible for all the crapboxes to be built. Intel has started to make Ultrabook chips, and now is going to delay Apple from giving us new Macbooks?

Intel is a boat anchor. apple needs to be free of their underhanded tactics.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

This has nothing to do with manufacturing process issues. Intel could go straight to 11 nm and beyond (nanotechnology) if they wanted right now. It is just milking the process as much as possible.

I love how an anonymous person with no knowledge of Intel's inside information can make a statement like that.

Please provide evidence for your claims.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

How long is Apple going to be at the mercy of Intel? Intel makes it possible for all the crapboxes to be built. Intel has started to make Ultrabook chips, and now is going to delay Apple from giving us new Macbooks?

I'm sure they'd like to. Please explain how.

AMD failed to provide parts that met Apple's requirements. ARM is years from offering products with the performance Apple needs. So what's your solution?
  • Reply 4 of 51
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Well I am waiting for my purchase until the new batch of MBAs come out. I really want a 13" MBA too.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

That's an abslute pile of conjecture. Sorry, but Intel's 22nm is the best they've got. They have research, like AMD and others with a goal of targeting 11nm within 12-18 months for production, but not now.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Well I am waiting for my purchase until the new batch of MBAs come out. I really want a 13" MBA too.

I would prefer a 20" MBA.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

i'm sure they'd like to. Please explain how.

$100,000,000,000.00.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

I would prefer a 20' MBA.

I'll raise your 20 foot MBA and ask for 20 yard one. Now that would be some laptop.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I love how an anonymous person with no knowledge of Intel's inside information can make a statement like that.

Please provide evidence for your claims.

I'm sure they'd like to. Please explain how.

AMD failed to provide parts that met Apple's requirements. ARM is years from offering products with the performance Apple needs. So what's your solution?

You're speculating on AMD.

Now this conference will be very interesting: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/02/1...latform-forum/

Quote:

Samsung Electronics, IBM And Global Foundries To Showcase Technological Advances At Common Platform Forum

Common Platform Technology Forum 2012: http://www.commonplatform.com/tf2012/

This year's Common Platform Technologies Forum will see Samsung Electronics, IBM and Global Foundries showcase a selection of their finest future silicon technologies, with the forum to take place at the Santa Clara Convention Center on March 14th.

The three companies have collaborated to develop Common Platform technology - described by IBM officials as the world's biggest chip-making consortium. Samsung, IBM and Global Foundries will also be addressing next-generation semiconductor innovations that cover topics including 14-, 20- and 28-nanometre processes as well as various innovations that are beyond 14nm plus 450mm wafer manufacturing.

General manager of IBM's microelectronics division, Michael Cadigan, explained: "The Common Platform alliance is built on an unmatched legacy of invention and deep commitment to research and development from IBM," as reported by Tech Week Europe UK.

Samsung Electronics, IBM and Global Foundries as well as more than 20 other technology outfits are the driving forces behind these new technologies which are likely to revolutionise the industry in a completely new direction.

The soon to be held Forum will have keynote addresses made by industry leaders as well as presentations to be delivered by Common Platform partners' managements and senior members from a wide range of technical teams .

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:

http://www.commonplatform.com/tf2012/agenda.asp
    • Dr. Gary Patton, Vice President of Semiconductor Research & Development Center, IBM

• Gregg Bartlett, Chief Technology Officer, GLOBALFOUNDRIES

• Dr. Jong Shik Yoon, Senior VP of Semiconductor R&D, Samsung

• Simon Segars, EVP and General Manager, Physical IP Division, ARM

• Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That's an abslute pile of conjecture. Sorry, but Intel's 22nm is the best they've got. They have research, like AMD and others with a goal of targeting 11nm within 12-18 months for production, but not now.

I think you mean 14 nm. The drop is always 1/3 of the prior size because when this is squared to make an area it reduces size by 1/2. So 32 nm went to 22nm and then 14 and then 10. A jump to 11 would effectively skip a whole process node.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

I'll raise your 20 foot MBA and ask for 20 yard one. Now that would be some laptop.

Like this?

• Reply 12 of 51
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

$100,000,000,000.00.

$100 billion, are you suggesting Apple is saving up to buy Intel?

Imagine the fear and furore from the rest of the PC industry!

I don't think such a move will make it past the regulators.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Like this?

Sure, that's the 20 footer.

You'd have to get some neighborhood kids to help you type stuff out on a 20-yarder.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

No. Intel is beholden to Apple's competitors.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:

You and your boat anchors. You don't even know what a boat anchor IS! : ) Intel has some leverage here and is applying it, as would Apple. You do know that Apple very nearly went with AMD in 2011 for the Airs and decided against it? Who would you recommend for the chips if not Intel or AMD? Who currently supplying major computers is capable of producing 25% of a world run of any Apple line?

A boat anchor? You have no idea.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

No. Intel is beholden to Apple's competitors.

Oh jeez. Intel is happily the tail wagging the dogs, all of them. Apple's "competitors" are more beholden to Intel, breathlessly awaiting new chips every time around, same as Apple, than Intel is to them or anyone. And now that AMD publicly failed the Apple test Intel can do whatever the heck they please, same as Apple or anyone does.

Intel is hardly "beholden" to anyone.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Oh jeez. Intel is happily the tail wagging the dogs, all of them.

Are you saying that Apple is one of the dogs, and is getting wagged by Intel?

Is that the best possible position for Apple to be in?
  • Reply 18 of 51
    I love some of the comments here Intel has a 'level playing field' when it comes to top tier OEM's (Apple, HP, Dell, etc.) getting access to their latest/greatest microprocessors. Only Intel knows the reason for Ivy Bridge delays. Everything I've read says systems, with Ivy Bridge, will be shipping sometime in June...
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Imagine the fear and furore from the rest of the PC industry!

I don't think such a move will make it past the regulators.

I wonder what would happen if they bought AMD? Apple management style and corporate philosophy should be able to turn them into a serious threat to Intel. All the pieces are there, they just need to be brought into the proper focus. You know, sort of like the MP3 player market, the smartphone market, the netbook market...
  • Reply 20 of 51
    "It was said the Ivy Bridge-powered notebooks would feature a Retina Display-quality screen resolution of 2,880 by 1,800 pixels, exactly twice that of the 1,440-by-900 display currently found on the 15-inch MacBook Pro."

Actually, twice the width AND twice the height mean that the diaplay will be exactly four times the number of pixels.