Apple's latest legal victory over Motorola in Germany declared 'huge'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Maybe the standards bodies should require the IP holders to specify the terms they will offer to everyone if their technology is included in the standard.

The terms offered to different companies are different, because, among other factors, the buyers have vastly different credit ratings.

There is no requirement under FRAND that the deals have to be identical for each buyer.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The terms offered to different companies are different, because, among other factors, the buyers have vastly different credit ratings.

There is no requirement under FRAND that the deals have to be identical for each buyer.

What part of 'non-discriminatory' do you not understand?
  • Reply 23 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What part of 'non-discriminatory' do you not understand?

The part where "non-discriminatory" means "identical".

From Wikipedia:

Non-discriminatory relates to both the terms and the rates included in licensing agreements. As the name suggests this commitment requires that licensors treat each individual licensee in a similar manner. This does not mean that the rates and payment terms can’t change dependent on the volume and creditworthiness of the licensee.

You may want to learn the basics before offering further challenges. Pick you battles. I make mistakes, and you can exploit them if you wish. Your goal is to correct the errors, and not to mis-correct the valid points.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Going to go out on a not too long limb and guess you don't have a lot of friends. Your comments always make you sound like a royal douche.

What a dumb comment.

So, I'm not allowed to make fun of losers who blatantly rip off Apple on an Apple forum?

As for my friends, the overwhelming majority of them only use Apple devices. I don't live in the ghetto and most of my friends are creative pros, just like me. So it's only natural that most use Apple only.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Viewsonic Viewphone 4s.

How pathetic is that?

These Android losers have no shame at all, not to mention zero originality and zero talent.

I threw a perfectly good, working Viewsonic CRT monitor in the trash about a month ago.

Screw Viewsonic. These Android losers don't even try to make an effort.

As for Motorola and Google, well fuck them too!

i kicked a perfectly good, stupid user to the curb the other night. was it you?

• Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i kicked a perfectly good, stupid user to the curb the other night. was it you?

A bum came around at 2-3 AM the same night that I threw that Viewsonic monitor into the trash and picked it up, was it you?
  • Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:

A bum came around at 2-3 AM the same night that I threw that Viewsonic monitor into the trash and picked it up, was it you?

not me! i am not stupid enough to buy viewsonic in the first place.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    I have found Googles strategy completely illogical. What do they have to gain from Android? They are an advertising company, do they actually think that all Android users use their search engine?

They seem to be intent on pissing the rest of the tech world off and are not making a cent into the bargin. In fact his adventure is costing more every day both in money and goodwill from users.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

not me! i am not stupid enough to buy viewsonic in the first place.

It was actually a very decent monitor, one of their premium models used for graphics design. It was a CRT, but flat screen design with very accurate colors. I never had a problem with it since I first bought it around 10 years ago.

It was just too big, too bulky, too heavy and who needs CRT anymore, so I trashed it. And besides, I have plenty of LCDs ready to take it's place.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

I have found Googles strategy completely illogical.

Their strategy seems to be flooding the world with cheap and free Android phones. So, even if they give out 50 million free Android phones to a bunch of financially challenged people, then so what? It's a terrible strategy.

The kind of person that is attracted to such phones doesn't mind ads in their apps, and they are less willing to actually spend money on any apps. The typical Android user is already screwed by the time that they get home with their phone. Almost no Android phones even run the latest OS! Even many new Android phones being released today do not have the latest OS installed. Android is a nightmare, an inferior OS made for people without much technical insight or knowledge.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    Apple are fully entitled to a licence for FRAND patents. These patents are now seen to be worthless in terms of forcing Apple to cross licence their IP. Moto's strategy has failed. All they're going to get are whatever crumbs Apple is prepared to let them have. Sad really.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arbourable View Post

All they're going to get are whatever crumbs Apple is prepared to let them have.

None, hopefully.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

None, hopefully.

If what you're saying is that Standards patents should be royalty free, I agree. After all, if such patents were not part of the Standard, they'd be worthless anyway.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd be really pissed to not have iCloud. I find it indispensable.

Not having gallery is more annoying for me so I'm staying with MobileMe until iLife 2012 is released.

Then if there's no iCloud gallery replacement by july I'll move to smugmug.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:

Android is a nightmare, an inferior OS made for people without much technical insight or knowledge.

What happened to the Android is for Geeks stuff? I guess that the goalpost got moved once it was realized that the majority of typical smartphone buyers choose Android.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:

This does not mean that the rates and payment terms can?t change dependent on the volume and creditworthiness of the licensee.

Let's face facts here... at this point, Moto are going out of business. They have tried to parasitise Apple by demanding a 2.5% chunk of Apples revenue in order to keep their ship afloat. We now see that this isn't going to work.

They have no answer to the iPhone, let alone the iPad, and trying to address this deficiency is what they should be doing in order to save themselves, not trying to hamstring their competetors.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arbourable View Post

If what you're saying is that Standards patents should be royalty free, I agree.

If they were free, why would companies spend money developing them?
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Quote:

What happened to the Android is for Geeks stuff? I guess that the goalpost got moved once it was realized that the majority of typical smartphone buyers choose Android.

Are you talking about all that rooting stuff and other nonsense? That is just a tiny minority of them. The majority of Android users are not buying the higher priced phones.

I was reading a forum a few days ago and some Android users were talking amongst themselves.

This one guy had just bought some new Android phone and was unhappy with it and he was wondering about a few things.

The typical answer was like this: No problem dude, just do like I did, put this custom ROM, ver. 20a.17 revision 14 on it, and everything will rock!

• Reply 39 of 68
    Quote:

. This does not mean that the rates and payment terms can?t change dependent on the volume and creditworthiness of the licensee.

So Zither,

Now you think Apple isn't creditworthy so they should be charged more?

And volume in this context normally means you pay less, the greater the volume. iOS has amongst the highest volumes, so according to your inverse logic Apple should pay more?

As Microsoft pointed out in their EU complaint, Motorola's attempt to charge 2.25% of the price of the entire product is outrageous and absurd and an anti-trust abuse of FRAND. They pointed out that there are hundreds of essential patents involved in wireless standards and if everyone charged 2.25% of the product price, a mobile phone would costs many times what it does now!

Apple obviously have not offered Motorola 2.25% of the price of each iPhone, but the court has sided with Apple, saying that it highly likely to find that Apple's offer is fair and reasonable under FRAND.

But of course you know better don't you Zither.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:

If they were free, why would companies spend money developing them?

That begs the question as to whether standards should be developed by an industry-wide body, rather than by individual companies.