Rumor: Apple may charge $80 more for 'iPad 3' with Retina Display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Will you guys EVER learn math?

A retina display that has double the dpi has FOUR TIMES THE RESOLUTION, not double the resolution, because resolution goes by the square. e.g. You have a 1 by 1 square pixel and now that will become a 2 by 2 square if you double the dpi; but a 2 by 2 contains 4 pixels while a 1 by 1 contains 1 pixel; as you see the resolution, i.e. pixel count is quadrupled not doubled.

As you can see, this can be solved without the use of advanced math; yet AI gets this CONSISTENTLY WRONG. Would the editors please take note?

Since you didn't seem to get it last time, I'll just copy my other reply to this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Twice the resolution = four times the pixels.

Super Hi-Vision, for example, has four times the resolution and 16 times the pixels as 1080p. Get it?

• Reply 42 of 195
    BS iPad 3 will be the same and there won't be 2 new models either...
  • Reply 43 of 195
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

wow. SO many apple apologists...

Apple already makes a hefty margin on these. Considering the Android onslaught, they should accept a reduced profit in exchange for getting more of their product out there.

There is no Android onslaught. Where do you get your facts from? Android tablets have failed miserably.

And Apple's strategy is not the same as Google's. Apple doesn't need to get more of their product out there. How many iPad 2's did they sell last year again?
  • Reply 44 of 195
    A lot of you are saying it won't make a difference, but I can tell you it will make a difference to me. I'm trying to figure out how to get two iPad 3's, one for myself and one for my wife (share? never!), and I've been ballparking everything at $500 a piece, and trying to sell old laptops that we don't really use. So an extra $160 will definitely make a difference between buying one iPad 3 or two.
  • Reply 45 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Perhaps. They did just get 25% raises didn't they?

And I bet that the people who will whine the most about Apple's prices are many of the same hypocritical people who whined about the working conditions. These people should now be glad and they should be happy to pay more for their new iPad, otherwise they should just STFU.

There is no conceivable way that Foxconn's raises would equate an $80 increase per unit.
  • Reply 46 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

I don't read anything funny in that statement.

Then don't laugh.

Quote:

Is that funny?

Yes it is. There is a deeper back story behind that comment. Those who know it will find it funny, those who don't won't.

Quote:

Is that funny?

I can't answer that for you. Do you have a sense of humor?
  • Reply 47 of 195
    As to raising the price on the iPad:

1. When the iPad came out (1st Gen), I purchased the most expensive model. 16GB/no 3g seemed pretty lame to me.

2. iPad 2 came out, I skipped it. Camera? Meh. Faster, thinner, lighter? Sure, but it's just a tablet I use to surf the internet when I'm on the couch.

3. iPad 3? It's several years later, I wouldn't be surprised to see a price increase for additional technology. If it truly is better, then I would pay a slight increase for that.
  • Reply 48 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Apple already makes a hefty margin on these. Considering the Android onslaught, they should accept a reduced profit in exchange for getting more of their product out there.

Which would make sense if they had trouble selling as many as they could make. So far there is no evidence to suggest that.
  • Reply 49 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

There is no conceivable way that Foxconn's raises would equate an $80 increase per unit.

Of course not, it was a joke aimed at the anti-Apple whiners who like to whine about the working conditions. I already pointed out that if there is a price increase, then it's most likely because of added hardware costs due to the new tech.
  • Reply 50 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglonek View Post

A lot of you are saying it won't make a difference, but I can tell you it will make a difference to me. I'm trying to figure out how to get two iPad 3's, one for myself and one for my wife (share? never!), and I've been ballparking everything at $500 a piece, and trying to sell old laptops that we don't really use. So an extra $160 will definitely make a difference between buying one iPad 3 or two.

Well, not being able to have multiple users makes it a little difficult to share, unless you're buying a $500 (sorry, $580) Angry Birds player.

And you're right about the price. "Shut up and take my money" can only carry them so far.
  • Reply 51 of 195
    Quote:

This forum would be better without the stupid f'in animated smileys.

What about Retina Smileys?
  • Reply 52 of 195
    Those who've actually owned an iPad know the vast usefulness of it, and realize the seemingly overpriced-ness of it is not really that bad. You are not seriously going to get it for your mom to just let her "check her email", she's going to want to do far more than that. Having said that, we've been conditioned to expect to pay $1k for a useful piece of technology every 2 years, so the [500-1000] price point is great whatever it is. I wasn't that happy with the iPad2 camera, but most of the features outweigh any of the sucky ones.
  • Reply 53 of 195
    $80 premium for an "iPad Pro"? Bring it on, I'm sure it'll still sell very well
  • Reply 54 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglonek View Post

Then buy two iPad 2s and you save money. Or one iPad 3 and one iPad 2 and pretty much break even or save a little money.

The question isn't how a price increase for the needed HW will affect your buying habit but how this will affect Apple's ability to sell all they can make. Do you think they will sell more than the 15 million they sold in the holiday quarter? I do.
  • Reply 55 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

$500 is a psychological barrier for many. I would be surprised if Apple crossed that threshold by adding $80.

Psychological barrier? "of, pertaining to, dealing with, or affecting the mind, especially as a function of awareness, feeling, or motivation". I think you are giving too much credit - assuming that the buyers would make a clear logical decision based on facts. Any iPad purchase is 95% ego and 5% facts.

When people used to save up to buy a product, $500 might have been a price barrier to some, but for most of the people buying iPad's and iPhone's what only matters is if their credit card is accepted after standing in line outside the Apple store.

As long as they can make their minimum monthly payment they are good to go, and then they are free to post comments about how Apple should pay a dividend, or pay more to foreign workers, or release a 7" tablet, or any of the hundred other topics they are clueless about.

Unless of course they get a Groupon coupon.
  • Reply 56 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm worried about this.

Don't worry too much.

Apple knows how to price products to yield the highest total profits.

Apple is also branching out to various (lower) price points, as evidenced by the FreeGS.

Whatever Apple decides will likely be wise. Apple knows how to rake in profits. So far, their pricing strategies have worked remarkably well.
  • Reply 57 of 195
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I don't know what to think...

I wish Apple would stop being stingy and double the storage capacities across the board. 16GB for the first gen entry-level, OK, I'm fine with that. 16GB for the second gen, it's Apple, alright, I'll live with it.

But for the third gen, I damn sure expect them to start at 32GB entry-level and top out at 128GB. Apple has a history of being stingy when it comes to storage space and ram though.

$579 for a Retina Display and 32GB, and we have a deal, Apple
  • Reply 58 of 195
    Hope Apple keep with the same price structure.

It would put them further ahead of the game compared to the competition.

Might as well go for the kill.
  • Reply 59 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I don't know what to think...

I wish Apple would stop being stingy and double the storage capacities across the board. 16GB for the first gen entry-level, OK, I'm fine with that. 16GB for the second gen, it's Apple, alright, I'll live with it.

But for the third gen, I damn sure expect them to start at 32GB entry-level and top out at 128GB. Apple has a history of being stingy when it comes to storage space and ram though.

$579 for a Retina Display and 32GB, and we have a deal, Apple

Do you mean double the NAND flash modules or shrinking the NAND flash by half to get double the capacity in the same space? One has an issue with space and cost, while the other has an issue with speed and reliability. So which one do you prefer?

Note the rate of increase if you expect a doubling of storage every two years? Do you see how that just isn't feasible?
  • Reply 60 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree that the iPad 2 screen looks great, I'm perfectly happy with mine too. But I wonder how much more amazing the iPad 3 screen looks. Four times the amount of pixels seems insane.

The iPhone benefits greatly from the increased dpi. I agree that an iPad with a high rez screen would be great. People who use it to view photos and videos (which I imagine is a LOT of people) would love it.

But I doubt it will happen this time around.