Rumor: Apple may charge $80 more for 'iPad 3' with Retina Display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 195
    I have been following these forums for ages although only just decided to join, so hello to everyone!

I really hope they don't increase the price although I understand if they do.

I've been saving for a while now and have managed to get the money together for the £399 price (hopefully plan to get it on launch day) but if they do raise it I may have to wait a little
  • Reply 62 of 195
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope, I'm genuinely worried. Apple needs to keep "This Year's Model" at the same price regardless of keeping around an old model.

All this talk in the media about working conditions in the far east may force manufacturers to raise wages which in turn may affect Apple product pricing. If so I wonder if it will also affect every other tech gadget makers' prices. In the end it could reflect badly on the ones that do not raise their prices because they won't be seen to be taking care of their supplier chain.

Just a thought
  • Reply 63 of 195
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

But I doubt it will happen this time around.

You doubt that what will happen? The retina display?

Why do you think that they'd be raising the price? All of the evidence so far seems to suggest a retina display.
  • Reply 64 of 195
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    Not my impression. Resolution of an image is 1D. It is the number of lines that can be discerned as 2 separate lines before the lines appear to fuse. That is, the number of lines that can be 'resolved' or discriminated. That's what Wikipedia says, too. ("image resolution').

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Will you guys EVER learn math?

A retina display that has double the dpi has FOUR TIMES THE RESOLUTION, not double the resolution, because resolution goes by the square. e.g. You have a 1 by 1 square pixel and now that will become a 2 by 2 square if you double the dpi; but a 2 by 2 contains 4 pixels while a 1 by 1 contains 1 pixel; as you see the resolution, i.e. pixel count is quadrupled not doubled.

As you can see, this can be solved without the use of advanced math; yet AI gets this CONSISTENTLY WRONG. Would the editors please take note?

• Reply 65 of 195
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Where are these supposed prices coming from and do we even know if they're quoted in US dollars? There would have to be significant spec bumps for Apple to raise prices and still sell the iPad like "hotcakes".
  • Reply 66 of 195
    I wondered how Apple would maintain margins with this dramatic improvement in display technology. It looks like we've uncovered the answer. I figured Apple might hold back on some of the improvements people were expecting until next year when manufacturing costs on the new display start to drop through volume. But perhaps you'll get a far better iPad 3 (more RAM, faster processor, better camera, etc.) this year by paying the $80 extra.
  • Reply 67 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I don't know what to think...

I wish Apple would stop being stingy and double the storage capacities across the board. 16GB for the first gen entry-level, OK, I'm fine with that. 16GB for the second gen, it's Apple, alright, I'll live with it.

But for the third gen, I damn sure expect them to start at 32GB entry-level and top out at 128GB. Apple has a history of being stingy when it comes to storage space and ram though.

$579 for a Retina Display and 32GB, and we have a deal, Apple

Only a matter of time. Currently it doesn't seem feasible to try and store all the videos for an entire university education from iTunesU. If they can do that, or say, store an entire student's education (K-12, undergrad), that would be amazing. eg. You could deploy all of the KhanAcademy on it to those less fortunate, and price a complete education for < $1K.
  • Reply 68 of 195
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    without looking closely my eyes can't tell the different between an iphone4 or iphone4s so to me the resolution is a non-issue. The battery life of the iPad2 is fine(I only use wifi).

I would pay for more processing power though. And Apple please drop the 16GB model.
  • Reply 69 of 195
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wonder if the same people complaining about a potential rise in costs are the same ones that were all pitchforks and torches for Apple to invest more money in policing the Chinese government over their labor laws and paying Foxconn's workers more money.
  • Reply 70 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

This forum would be better without the stupid f'in animated smileys.

Agreed! Also is there a way to filter out one person's comments on these threads? I could sure use that ability. It would cut my reading time in half or more!
  • Reply 71 of 195
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

$80 premium for an "iPad Pro"? Bring it on, I'm sure it'll still sell very well

What's an "iPad Pro"? So far none of the rumors have suggested that the new iPad would be some "pro" model for high-end customers. I mean we don't even know for sure if Apple will continue to sell iPad2 once iPad 3 (or whatever they call it) is released.
  • Reply 72 of 195
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I wondered how Apple would maintain margins with this dramatic improvement in display technology. It looks like we've uncovered the answer. I figured Apple might hold back on some of the improvements people were expecting until next year when manufacturing costs on the new display start to drop through volume. But perhaps you'll get a far better iPad 3 (more RAM, faster processor, better camera, etc.) this year by paying the $80 extra.

Since this HiDPI display rumour broke I was suggesting this could happen because unlike other new tech this display would require a lot of other tech to make it work. It's not just the resolution, but new IPS panel tech that will tax the battery less, more RAM and an improved GPU. The better camera is auxiliary but they should at least increase it to be good enough to showcase the display.
  • Reply 73 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm worried about this.

Well, if Apple really sees a price-related drop in iPad3 sales, they could just keep the iPad2 going longer. I haven't seen anybody even catch up to it, yet.
  • Reply 74 of 195
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

without looking closely my eyes can't tell the different between an iphone4 or iphone4s so to me the resolution is a non-issue.

That's not surprising as they have the same screen resolution.
  • Reply 75 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If so I wonder if it will also affect every other tech gadget makers' prices. In the end it could reflect badly on the ones that do not raise their prices because they won't be seen to be taking care of their supplier chain.

Nope. The ones who don't raise their prices will go completely and utterly unnoticed, just like right now.

Apple will be seen as a money-grubbing corporation trying to game every last dollar out of their customers "because they can". We'll see new trolls on here saying that Apple's doing it because "since people bought it at $499, they'll buy it at $599". Et cetera.
  • Reply 76 of 195
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

Not my impression. Resolution of an image is 1D. It is the number of lines that can be discerned as 2 separate lines before the lines appear to fuse. That is, the number of lines that can be 'resolved' or discriminated. That's what Wikipedia says, too. ("image resolution').

It's really very simple. When in doubt about what a parameter means, look at the units. Resolution is reported in dots per inch (or pixels per inch). That's a linear measurement.

Pixel density would be reported in dots (or pixels) per SQUARE inch.

So resolution scales with number of dots per inch. The rumored iPad HD (or whatever it's called) will have twice the resolution but 4 times the pixel density.

It's not rocket science, folks.
  • Reply 77 of 195
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bosco08 View Post

I agree. $499 still seems like "toy money" and very doable, but when the price is over $600 with tax......that's too much. I've been waiting for the retina display, but I'll be passing if it comes out at $580.

If the price goes up I'll pass!!!!!!!
  • Reply 78 of 195
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Who seriously isn't going to pay 8 to 16% more to get an iPad with an LG AH-IPS panel with 2048x1536 resolution that can hold the same battery life?

Me. Bad idea, prices should be going down not up.
  • Reply 79 of 195
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Both ideas make sense to me: higher price for the retina display units (that can?t be cheap to make), and non-retina models sold as well?still great machines, at a low entry price. Maybe still $499, maybe lower.

Just give me a 128GB model at the top end, please!
  • Reply 80 of 195
    If you look at the chart it specifies wi-fi and 3G. I have to believe that the IPad 3 will have 4G support. So I dont believe this at all.

Again I believe Apple will have the following IPads

IPad 2.5 16GB Wi-Fi - $349 (new cpu (A5X), same screen)

IPad 2.5 32GB Wi-Fi / 3G - $399 (new cpu (A5X), same screen)

IPad 3 32GB Wi-Fi - $549 (new cpu (A6), new screen)

IPad 3 32GB Wi-Fi / 4G - $599 (new cpu (A6), new screen)

IPad 3 64GB Wi-Fi / 4G - $649 (new cpu (A6), new screen)

IPad 3 128GB Wi-Fi /4G - $749 (new cpu (A6), new screen)

That's what I think.....