Google: Android has 450K apps, 850K devices activated daily

Comments

• Reply 141 of 162
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They were at 700k activations in December so their growth rate is slagging off fast.

Actually, I believe we had figured out back in December that they had slowed from a 3% to a 1.4% week over week growth by that 700k announcement on 12/21. Counting since then, they are maintaining a 2% week over week. They have actually picked up the pace since December, but they are still below the pace they had back in the summer.
  • Reply 142 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Actually, I believe we had figured out back in December that they had slowed from a 3% to a 1.4% week over week growth by that 700k announcement on 12/21. Counting since then, they are maintaining a 2% week over week. They have actually picked up the pace since December, but they are still below the pace they had back in the summer.

I prefer to think that Android is not doing well, thankyouverymuch.
  • Reply 143 of 162
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Its the **cough** law of large numbers.

The law of large numbers WILL BITE YOU ON THE ASS!
  • Reply 144 of 162
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I prefer to think that Android is not doing well, thankyouverymuch.

I purposely avoided Android an waited to get an iPhone 4s even tho my contract on my old LG Lotus ran out back in Feb, so I'm not in Android's camp at all. I was just curious how their week over week was comparing w/what it was back in December. It appears to be doing better, but still not as good as in the summer. Then again, as you sell more units, it gets harder to maintain similar growth numbers
  • Reply 145 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Coda is good, but Dreamweaver has one thing that I can't find on others - Templates.

The ability to quickly change the content from Design A to Design B makes it worthwhile for me. I'm just waiting for the day when some other program offers similar functionality.

Write your own templates.
  • Reply 146 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Firstly they are not luxury items. That term is massively devalued. An entry level iPad is well within the reach of a McWorker - depending on the rest of his or her obligations, of course.

And the reason to lower the price would be to grab more market share.

Except for Samsung. Its true that most Android manufacturers will bite the dust but the few that survive will be very big competition for Apple - as we see now. Samsung etc.

What debt - Google's has $36.7 billion in cash and equivalents on hand.

Google has a total debts to assets ratio of 5.79:1 and a total debt to equity ratio of 7.29: 1.

No, they don't have $36.7 billion in cash and equivalents on hand. And that is before the $12.5 Billion + for MMI which carries a lot of extraneous debt along.

MMI brings in a $12.5 Billion charge which will actually be much higher once they process the entire retirement structure, etc., and negative profit margins.

Now on top of the current issues with total debt to equity (TDE) and total debt to assets (TDA), from Page 39:

http://investor.google.com/earnings.html

More specifically: http://investor.google.com/pdf/20111231_google_10K.pdf

Page 39-44 discuss their drawing of unsecured notes and much more to build up their assets, hence they don't have the capital you claim without extended debt--they are borrowing against stock issuances to build up their cash base.

Apple has ZERO DEBT. They aren't issuing a thing because they are building nothing but pure profit and reinvestments of said profits, quarter over quarter.

Their TDE and TDA are N/A.

A real interesting statement by Google:

Quote:

As of December 31, 2011, $21.2 billion of the $44.6 billion of cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities was held by our foreign subsidiaries. If these funds are needed for our operations in the U.S., we would be required to accrue and pay U.S. taxes to repatriate these funds. However, our intent is to permanently reinvest these funds

outside of the U.S. and our current plans do not demonstrate a need to repatriate them to fund our U.S. operations

I look forward to that $12.5 Billion + investment domestically requiring them to absorb a taxation to cover or another series of unsecured senior notes to help offset the costs and extend more debt to the long-term valuation of the Corporation.

I will say it again, APPLE HAS NO DEBT.

Neither Microsoft, Google, IBM, Oracle, Computer Associates, SAP, on and on and on can make that claim.

ONE COMPANY, ZERO DEBT, 100 BILLION and climing in Assets.

It's only going to grow.
  • Reply 147 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

And with the new dock connector, all of those things are now obsolete.

And with record sales upcoming of iProducts, Apple and its licensees will resell new accessories in record numbers.

Apple and accessory makers: Win.

Consumers: ?

I was speaking, of course, to the fact that you can buy accessories for your iPhone and iPad today and for the last few years.

Who knows what will happen in the future.

Now think about Android... which will NEVER have this array of accessories. Or do you think it's better not to have options like this? Is that a cool Android feature?

• Reply 148 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And? why would I want to make my website look like everyone else's? Why would I want to make my website look like anything that someone else said 'looks good'?

In ALL of my web design courses, we were told that we would fail outright if we use templates. He was one of the best professors I ever had. He was basically a Steve Jobs of website design, I kid you not. Real laid-back guy with one of the best eyes for design I've ever met.

You certainly didn't understand what was posted at all.

I don't think you understand the power offered with a Dreamweaver template. I'm not talking about buying a template.

Here's what I mean.

We have a set of 100 HTML email templates. We want to change the look from our 2011 style (that WE created) to a new 2012 style (that WE created.)

By adjusting the template, all pages that use that template our updated.

Just as changing a theme in Wordpress updates all pages, updating a Dreamweaver template updates all pages that use that template. This can be a huge timesaver when you are dealing with static pages.
  • Reply 149 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Write your own templates.

See post 148.

I'm not talking about buying templates, I'm referring to the power of updating all pages based on a template just by editing one template file. The changes are far easier using this method than using Search/Replace, especially when dealing with multiple Editable Regions.
  • Reply 150 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The quality of the phone has nothing to do with the OS running on it, that is a manufacturer problem.

And it has everything to do with the OS-purveyor allowing their OS to run on junk.

OS quality and hardware quality are THE SAME in the mind of the consumer. And so it should be.

Anyone who respects their product does not relinquish control of it at the most critical stage. This is why horizontal business models turn out to be garbage most of the time.
  • Reply 151 of 162
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mutatio View Post

Just watch as Google and/or the handset makers will have a revolving door of Mea Culpas about harvesting and tracking user data without the user's permission.

You might be thinking that Apple's curated App Store wouldn't suffer from that too. You'd be wrong.

AFAIK, there's nothing except a developer's honesty that keeps them from accessing everything in the iOS sandbox from your appointments to music to contacts to pictures. Pretty much any personal information and data you have stored on your iPad or iPhone could be had by a dishonest app creator and if you use an App Store application there's nothing to prevent it from sending any or all of that information to servers outside of Apple's control.

All the tools to do so are in Apple's API's, and because of that Apple may not even notice what and approved app is actually gathering. At least for now Apple requires no notice or permission from you to access and harvest whatever personal information they find on your iPhone (other than fine location). At least Android itself does require your express permission before getting access to those areas.

Please, if I've misunderstood something, please do correct me.
  • Reply 152 of 162
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Google has a total debts to assets ratio of 5.79:1 and a total debt to equity ratio of 7.29: 1.

I don't know where you get your numbers. I just looked at Google's official SEC numbers.

Total liabilities - $14.4 B

Total debt - $4.2 B

Total assets - $76.2 B

Total current assets - $52.8 B

Market cap - $200.9 B

That means total debt to assets is .055:1

Total debt to equity is about 0.02:1
  • Reply 153 of 162
    Wow, alot of fuss over nothing. I'm wondering, why are you all so militantly against Android? A high level of Android adoption does not prevent you guys from continuing to enjoy your Apple devices. If Apple were to never go above 10% market share (like with PCs), you'd still have your device, your apps, etc... So why does it matter to you what Android's market share is?

Various manufacturers offer Android phones that have features iPhones don't, why is that a problem to Apple? And some Android phones suck, some are great. Just like some PCs suck, and some don't. Doesn't mean Apple's platform is inherently better.

If you left your bubble, you'd see that alot of manufacturers are doing cool things with Android - there's completely waterproof smartphones from Japanese manufacturers, quad core phones, 5" phones/tablets, phones with projectors, etc...

Me personally, I want a device that can replace my desktop PC for most of my daily computing tasks. So I bought an Android device. Lots of people (like my girlfriend), just want a phone that can play a few cool games, so she has an iPhone.

Variety is a good thing.
  • Reply 154 of 162
    Impressive.

Android really is growing rapidly than we think it is.
  • Reply 155 of 162
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Wow, alot of fuss over nothing. I'm wondering, why are you all so militantly against Android? A high level of Android adoption does not prevent you guys from continuing to enjoy your Apple devices. If Apple were to never go above 10% market share (like with PCs), you'd still have your device, your apps, etc... So why does it matter to you what Android's market share is?

Various manufacturers offer Android phones that have features iPhones don't, why is that a problem to Apple? And some Android phones suck, some are great. Just like some PCs suck, and some don't. Doesn't mean Apple's platform is inherently better.

If you left your bubble, you'd see that alot of manufacturers are doing cool things with Android - there's completely waterproof smartphones from Japanese manufacturers, quad core phones, 5" phones/tablets, phones with projectors, etc...

Me personally, I want a device that can replace my desktop PC for most of my daily computing tasks. So I bought an Android device. Lots of people (like my girlfriend), just want a phone that can play a few cool games, so she has an iPhone.

Variety is a good thing.

Indeed it is, but this is an Apple fan site. In fact a lot of people here are happy in the ghetto, because they are used to it ( hence the Apple does not care about market share mantra). The fact is that Apple nearly died in the past, and software was hard to get for OS X. I don't see that happening now, though, so all is well.
  • Reply 156 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Indeed it is, but this is an Apple fan site. In fact a lot of people here are happy in the ghetto, because they are used to it ( hence the Apple does not care about market share mantra). The fact is that Apple nearly died in the past, and software was hard to get for OS X. I don't see that happening now, though, so all is well.

Still, would be nice to read articles and posts about what is good about Apple products and iOS, not what's bad about Android and why iOS is better. IMO both are good systems, and each cater to a need. I come here to see what's new and interesting in the Apple world, instead it's nothing but negativity and hostility towards everything non-Apple.
  • Reply 157 of 162
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip;2058135Now think about Android... which will NEVER have this array of accessories. Or do you think it's better [I

not[/I] to have options like this? Is that a cool Android feature?

Android is an OS, don't confuse it with the hardware running it
  • Reply 158 of 162
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And it has everything to do with the OS-purveyor allowing their OS to run on junk.

Rubbish, most of the people who purchase phones don't even know what OS it runs
  • Reply 159 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Rubbish, most of the people who purchase phones don't even know what OS it runs

Yet the entire package is judged by the hardware + User Experience. And SOFTWARE is integral to user experience.
  • Reply 160 of 162
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Variety is a good thing.

Well put sir, I also use an Android phone because it's much closer to a normal PC then my old iPhone was. I can actually connect a mouse, keyboard and a monitor to it and use it just like a PC. Filemanger and all, plus with Microsoft Office online and Cloud 9 for app development I actually get work done to. I can't wait for Ubuntu to be released on my Galaxy Note and if it isn't fast enough I'll just upgrade to that new HTC quad core phone to run it.

Nothing against the iPhone because it is a beautiful and well crafted phone. I just love the fact that I can run a desktop OS on my phone, so cool.