Purported 'iPad 3' rear panel measures 0.81mm thicker than iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
  • Reply 22 of 75
    The rumor about the ipad3 costing more are sounding correct...with the bigger battery and 8 mega pixel camera this is very likely I mean an iphone without a contract is about 700 dollars and ipad3 is about the equivalent..
  • Reply 23 of 75
    I would rather it be usable in temperatures below 0'C.

I think most people would just slap on a 15mm thick jacket and not benefit from this thinness. Unless you're making it as thin as paper, there's no point in these gimmicks.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The 95 and 86 are wrong. It is 9.5 and 8.69...

Edit: I went too soon. 95mm is like 3.7 inches or phone book size.

What's a phone book?

I suspect that my teenager has never opened a phone book.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

What's with the decimal points in the picture?

Should be 8.69 and 9.50. Am I being pedantic? Again?

Calm down my friend. lots of people don't understand mm.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    I'm skeptical this is a legitimate part, the image apple sent out today had a black border, not a silver one
  • Reply 27 of 75
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Case makers are rejoicing! Cable makers too! Dock connected accessories of all kinds will be sold for the third time to the same customers!

Not necessarily. The edge of the supposed new iPad tapers in further, this may have been a result of needing to make the device the same thickness at the same distance from the edge, so that it could be a little thicker overall, but still fit in a thinner dock connector. This would also place connectors at the exact same position/location, so that they could also fit into older iPad docks.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Guys, please, we did this with the white iPhone...
  • Reply 29 of 75
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

I'm one of the unusual people then that is slightly irked by this. However as all of you said I may not notice when I actually hold one. I'd sacrifice some battery life to keep the same thinness as the previous generation, but hopefully not too much. I wonder if it was the camera optics and not battery that made it thicker?

Well, I guess it is not confirmed as thicker just yet...

Do you have any idea how insignificant 0.8mm is? My God. It's a damn certainty Apple did everything in its power to make it as thin as possible considering the technology insider. Its its microscopically thicker, that means it needs to be.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TooFar View Post

Me thinks the units be wrong, 95mm - 86.9mm != 0.81mm

how about 8.1mm thicker

Yeah, the dimensions are way off. 95mm = 9.5cm, which is equivalent to over 3.5 inches!!! That would be a very thick iPad! My 27" iMac isn't even that thick! Whoever made up the images just put the decimal in the wrong place.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good one. I'm sure that will be one reason given by the Android fans it will fail.

the only fail that we know of, here, is some people's failure to detect sarcasm in malax's post.

that aside, i'm keen to see whether the iPad 3 is worth the purchase. i skipped the previous two iterations because, for me, there hasn't been compelling reasons to get a tablet device. Apple products are nice; my current iPhone 3GS has proven to be quite useful
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

LOL! Exactly.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

the only fail that we know of, here, is some people's failure to detect sarcasm in malax's post.

Who on earth didn't get the humor/sarcasm? Pretty obvious I thought, hence my compliment for the joke.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Touch1 View Post

Calm down my friend. lots of people don't understand mm.

Well, thank you.

I was concerned that I was just pointing out something that was screamingly obvious to everyone, but I see I needn't have worried.

For all the metrically challenged out there, a Starbucks stirring stick is 6mm wide. A pencil is 7mm in diameter.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Lol, someone can't read a digital caliper or indeed, use their brain.

95mm would be 9.5cm thick.

9.5mm is more like it.

However, I still have the iPad so the thickness of the iPad 3 won't be an issue.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TooFar View Post

Me thinks the units be wrong, 95mm - 86.9mm != 0.81mm

how about 8.1mm thicker

Unless.... the picture _is_ correct and they're actually measuring a 100-inch AppleTV!!!!

/jk
  • Reply 37 of 75
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I wonder how much the magnets inside the iPad weighs? If they don't weigh much, then it's not a big deal, but if they did weigh a bit, then they should make a model for people like me, a model without the magnets. There are many people who do not give a shit about any cases or screen covers. And if you don't give a shit about any cases or covers, then you certainly don't give a shit about any magnets.

As for the thickness of the iPad 3, who cares about .81 mm? I bet that those who claim to care would not even be able to tell the difference between the iPad 2 and iPad 3, as it really is a tiny, tiny difference.

And I also bet that Samsung will release some sort of shitty Android tablet a few months after the iPad 3 and they'll claim that it's 0.00201 mm thinner! Even if it has a bulge on the back like some of their phones, they'll still lie and claim that it's thinner.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Case makers are rejoicing! Cable makers too! Dock connected accessories of all kinds will be sold for the third time to the same customers!

At less than 1mm extra thIckness I am guessing most cases will fit without modification. In fact I am sure. 1mm = 0.03937 inches. You'll feel the difference holding it but it's not a deal breaker. I use the iPad 1 so if the 3 is close to the 2 in weight I'm happy. A small amount of variance is easily offset by New and Improved specs. But minimal weight and thickness, and maximum battery life are fundamental to the iPad experience so we need not worry about too great backward steps.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Of course, while it may not be likely, the 3 could end up the same thickness as the 2. Why? Because the screen stands proud of the case. If they redesigned this so that the screen didn't stick out as far, then all could be the same.

Just a thought, not saying that it's happening.