Record day pushes Apple stock to nearly a half-trillion dollars in value [u]

245

Comments

  • digitalclipsdigitalclips Posts: 15,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    The worst thing to do is wait. If you wait, you might encounter a pull back, but the stock might be higher when that occurs, so you've gained nothing. I've got people asking me for advice on a regular basis, and I always tell them to do it NOW, and to not listen to their broker or financial advisor. When they do listen to them, they almost always get the; "Sure, we can do that, once it pulls back to $---". But it never does, and then you're chasing the new high.



    If you want to play, but not pop for the full amount, or go long, you can always go with options. But you have to really understand that. It's complex. I no longer bother.



    So right. What the heck if it dips a while later, it will come back and go higher. 'Now' is the only time with AAPL
  • digitalclipsdigitalclips Posts: 15,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ko024 View Post


    Im just curious why you think a 1 trillion dollar market cap is "unlikely"... If aapl grows at even a modest 20% per year (notice modest for aapl is incredible for any other company), then in 5 years they would have an estimated EPS of about 87. All it takes is a PE of 11.5 to get them to about 1 trillion...



    Or lets try this, say aapl continues to range in the PE of about 15. What kind of earnings will get them to 1 trillion dollar market cap? About $66 EPS... Thats about 88% growth from where they are currently. Over 5 years that would be a compounded growth of about 14 percent per year... Do you think they can do that? I kind of think they can blow this away as usual... They will be the worlds first multi-trillion dollar company IMO. They will cross the trillion dollar mark in 2 years...



    I do think it is likely, but then I am biased
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post


    It does always seem to drop a little after event day.



    I seem to recall a few times it's gone up.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    PetroChina crossed an implied $1 trillion in value in 2007, but that was because Chinese stock markets were on a bubble-ish tear at that time, the stock had just done an IPO, and the float was very small (<5%, I think). It is trading in the mid-$200Bs now.... (There were similar run-ups for Cisco and Micrsoft; their P/E ratios made no sense. Unlike that for Apple, which is still only ~15x).



    The question to ask is: Could Apple be the world's first sustainably, reliably trillion dollar company?



    (For the record, I think it's unlikely. But $750B is certainly in the realm of possibility).



    Don't forget to qualify that with "publicly traded company". Saudi Aramco had an estimated value well over 1/2 trillion a decade ago and I read some really high claims of $7 trillion but with how much Exxon has grown I don't think it's completely unrealistic.
  • sixpencerichersixpencericher Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post


    I continue to enjoy being long on Apple.



    I'm with you there, sir. Been a happy investor in AAPL since $72/share, and only continue to increase my holdings every month.



    Best stock I have ever held, by far.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I seem to recall a few times it's gone up.



    Apple should call it the iPad 2 S, and then the stock will drop 5%, just like what happened with the iPhone 4 S. It doesn't matter what great features the new iPad has. It'll look almost the same and if the name is also the same, that is enough for certain people to be disappointed.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post


    guys Apple's market cap already passed the $500B mark in after hours trading!



    Now is the time to mortgage the house and put all of one's assets into Apple. Buy on margin. It will never go down.



    Apple is a slam dunk to go up MUCH more from here. There is no real possibility of any decline.



    Anybody with any scrap of value should put all of it into AAPL.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Apple should call it the iPad 2 S, and then the stock will drop 5%, just like what happened with the iPhone 4 S. It doesn't matter what new great features the new iPad has. It'll look almost the same and if the name is also the same, that is enough for certain people to be disappointed.



    That seems to be how things go psychologically. No matter what's been changed if you don't change the numerical value of the name it must be a failure.
  • sacto joesacto joe Posts: 604member
    Just a little play on Bill Clinton's famous saying.



    Seriously, though, just before earnings, Apple's P/E had hit a P/E of 15.7. And even now, after the biggest rally in years, it still is down around 15.25. That's how huge Apple's earnings were last quarter.
  • xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


    I can't believe $500 now looks like a steal in retrospect..



    makes the $188 price point when I first thought about buying apple and didn't seems like a garage sale price.
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,468member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Now is the time to mortgage the house and put all of one's assets into Apple. Buy on margin. It will never go down.



    Apple is a slam dunk to go up MUCH more from here. There is no real possibility of any decline.



    Anybody with any scrap of value should put all of it into AAPL.





    Likely, makes more sense than selling one's AAPL to invest in real estate.



    Let's see... A home purchased for $500,000 in 2003 is worth $250,000 today...



    That same $500,000 invested in AAPL in 2003 is worth $26,000,000 and change today!





    Oops... Make that $52,000,000 and change -- Forgot the 2::1 split on 02/28/2005.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ko024 View Post


    Im just curious why you think a 1 trillion dollar market cap is "unlikely"... If aapl grows at even a modest 20% per year (notice modest for aapl is incredible for any other company), then in 5 years they would have an estimated EPS of about 87. All it takes is a PE of 11.5 to get them to about 1 trillion...



    Or lets try this, say aapl continues to range in the PE of about 15. What kind of earnings will get them to 1 trillion dollar market cap? About $66 EPS... Thats about 88% growth from where they are currently. Over 5 years that would be a compounded growth of about 14 percent per year... Do you think they can do that? I kind of think they can blow this away as usual... They will be the worlds first multi-trillion dollar company IMO. They will cross the trillion dollar mark in 2 years...



    I personally think as Apple expands into more high-margin (and currently incompetently managed) markets that are ripe for takeover they may easily hit something like $1,000 a share in 3 to 5 years time. Call me crazy, but I see a clear path for this happening.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Likely, makes more sense than selling one's AAPL to invest in real estate.



    Let's see... A home purchased for $500,000 in 2003 is worth $250,000 today...



    That same $500,000 invested in AAPL in 2003 is worth $26,000,000 and change today!





    Oops... Make that $52,000,000 and change -- Forgot the 2::1 split on 02/28/2005.



  • macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,622member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post


    Really wish I had sold at $525 a week or so ago and bought back in the $490's soon after. I wonder if this is another opportunity to sell at $535 and buy back again. Anyone else thinking it might push back to around $500?



    Of course it will, after all Apple's doomed, haven't you heard?



    Quote:

    Apple first surpassed Microsoft in May of 2010...



    Jeez, has it been that long ago? Time just flies when you're having fun.
  • "Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."
  • macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,622member
    You guys and your APPL stock. I'm counting on my Siberian Railroad stock to keep me warm when I retire.
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,468member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


    You guys and your APPL stock. I'm counting on my Siberian Railroad stock to keep me warm when I retire.



    Dumped those Russian Imperial Bonds, eh?
  • hosshoss Posts: 69member
    If Apple were a country it would have the 20th largest economy based on GDP.
  • shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I don't understand the stock market, which is probably why I don't have any shares. I always thought the point of owning shares was for the dividends. The higher the profits, the better the dividend and so the shares go up in line with the P/E ratio.



    Apple doesn't pay any dividends so why does the share price keep going up every day? Surely if they don't pay any dividends there is no point owning the stock unless you think the stock is going to just keep going up and up which it might well do.



    Either all the fund managers think Apple will pay a dividend sometime soon or they're looking to make a lot of money quickly by riding the tidal wave up. I wonder if the stock will come back down once they start selling to take their profits.



    It's a strange world we live in.
  • melgrossmelgross Posts: 28,690member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post


    It's interesting that Apple's iPhone stock app has the same close price for Apple at $535.41 but shows the market cap being $499.2 billion. Percentage-wise it's not a huge difference, but one of the market cap figures is off by $1.01 billion and that's not nothing.



    Wish I'd forgotten that it's smart to diversify when I bought more Apple, Exxon and Yahoo in early 2009 and put it all in Apple at $91 instead. &#55357;&#56869;



    Depends on whether the number is for market cap or equity. Market cap is all the current outstanding shares, while equity includes options offered to employees, etc. Equity gives a higher number, depending on the differences between the two in shares.



    Some sites use equity but state market cap. It gets confusing.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Final tally for After Hours is $500,990,372,100.00
Sign In or Register to comment.