Updated Apple Store app brings carrier selection, account management features

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

An updated version of the Apple Store iOS app rolled out on Wednesday, bringing with it a number of new features including iPhone carrier selection for new customers as well as a feature that allows users to change account preferences.

While Apple Store version 2.1 leaves the general user interface of Apple's virtual storefront mainly intact, the notable updates implemented behind the scenes coincide with the app's introduction to users in the Netherlands.

From the "What's New in Version 2.1" patch notes:

Choose iPhone plans from all three U.S. carriers — AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint (U.S. Only).

Make your shopping experience even more convenient with new account management editing and billing options.

The Apple Store app is now available in the Netherlands.

Choosing an iPhone plan is limited to U.S. customers who are purchasing a new handset. With the update, iPhone buyers can now select the capacity, color and carrier without leaving the Apple Store app.

Account managements allows customers to change billing information and shipping addresses in-app, whereas users previously had to navigate to Apple's website in order to change these settings. The changes will update accounts associated with a current Apple ID, which will in turn be reflected across any services that use the login data.

iOS device users in the Netherlands will also be granted access to the app as the final preparations are being made for the grand opening of Amsterdam's first Apple Store.

Carriers can be selected when purchasing a new iPhone through the update Apple Store app. | Source: Apple

Apple Store version 2.1 weighs in at 7.9 MB and requires iOS 4.3 or higher.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Who is running the show there at Apple for this App? Pretty unacceptable at this point for it not to be a universal App. Perhaps next time!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisTheGeek View Post

Who is running the show there at Apple for this App? Pretty unacceptable at this point for it not to be a universal App. Perhaps next time!

Beat me to it. You can use an iPad in a store to look at product details. You can use an iPhone to go into the shop virtually... But no, on the iPad, hit the 2x button and look at crumbly graphics.

You think.. even if it took a whole year to make such a simple app, they have had a a year. Surely some intern could have churned it out by now. You would only need one person.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Thanks for the credit AI....
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Store version 2.1 weighs in at 7.9 MB and requires iOS 4.3 or higher.

A minor software update that doesn't require you to download a 4GB image of the entire OS. Something's not right here.

Wish they'd do this with the developer tools.

I was hoping this App Store update would have at least included some features to customise what you see in the store e.g blacklist, wishlist etc. but maybe some day.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I was hoping this App Store update would have at least included some features to customise what you see in the store e.g blacklist, wishlist etc. but maybe some day.

Hear hear. I even assumed that's what I'd be reading about, when I saw the headline. I'm never going to buy apps in German or apps about religion, for example; nor do I need to see duplicative GPS apps for every major metro market in the U.S. when I do a simple search such as "GPS". I should be able to set filters or preferences to minimize the chaff when I do a search in the App Store, given the incredible number of apps available now.