Apple said to be considering a 14-inch MacBook Air for Asian markets

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Come on, AppleInsider. Get it together. These guys [Digitimes] lie through their teeth. They're no better than macosrumors. Stop posting stories from them.

I'd love for someone to analyse how often various sources get their Apple predictions right. Digitimes would surely be bottom of the pile by quite some distance.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    It is because 13" is too small and 15" is too big for Asian market.

That is why 14" are the best sellers.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

It is because 13" is too small and 15" is too big for Asian market.

That is why 14" are the best sellers.

?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In any event Apple has a history of catering to specific markets when it suits their goals.

For example ???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Curiously, Apple markets their models in inches, regardless of the destination...

Because they are "Designed in California", where inches rule the day.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Regardless of the weight and exterior dimensions, if Apple's newer notebooks have optical media reader/writers and/or an HDD, they will not be Airs.

Also, although Apple's known for dragging customers into the future, I can't even guess how they'll satisfy the needs of Pro notebook users without charging an arm and a leg for SSDs.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Oooh! Then we can send over a bunch of folks to smuggle them back into the U.S.! I'm sure a "rare" 14" MB would fetch a nice premium.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

14 is an unlucky number in Chinese. Doubt this will be popular

Apple will just use a different scale. Instead of 14 inches, they'll call it... 2.5 centihectares or whatever units they use in the not-USA.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Not going to happen, Apple will not fragment the market.

A lot of their profit comes from buying millions of the same part at a knock down price.

So then, why not a 14 inch and can the 13 AND 15 inch idea? One size fits three.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Curiously, Apple markets their models in inches, regardless of the destination.

While the dimensions in the tech specs will definitely be quoted in metric measurements, the same of the model still refers to the inch measurement. A 13" MacBook does not become a 33 cm. MacBook elsewhere.

They don't use "cm" in California. End of mystery.

Nothing surprising. Apple still quotes Intel processor specs by Ghz, not by Intel's abstract model number system (i5-2400), which is meant to obfuscate clock speed.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    NZ uses the metric system religiously, but when it comes to monitor size, we always, and I mean always, use inches for some reason. I couldn't imagine ever calling my 40" TV a 101.6cm
  • Reply 31 of 40
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    We (Americans) have been spoiled by the fact that so many tech companies began here and catered to our every whim in order to become successful in the first place. But things are changing. China, India and others are going to be HUGE for Apple. Beyond huge. I can definitely see Apple creating specific products that cater to markets that big. How could they NOT?
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Really? Because I watch Apple rumors since 2003, and Digi Times has been proven right many times.

(And some times it's not even that a rumor site was wrong, it's that Apple decided to change course).

I've been covering Apple since 1996. The Onion is more accurate than Digitimes.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

14 is an unlucky number in Chinese. Doubt this will be popular

Oh Noes!

• Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Considering, lol.

So if it doesn't happen, which it probably won't, remember we only said "considering".

Kinda ridiculous, isn't it. The "14-inch MacBook Air" is the 15" redesigned MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    I'm old enough to remember the old stereotype that Asians had weak eyes. I would think that Apple would make a bigger size for them. lol
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

I'm old enough to remember the old stereotype that Asians had weak eyes. I would think that Apple would make a bigger size for them. lol

What's weird is that 8 months ago everyone was talking about 10" MacBook Airs being the thing that all of Asia wants.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

?

There is a reason why Microsoft develop another set of controller for asian market.

And because size is a relative thing, a person who is 6 foot tall will likely have a very different perceptive to what is big compare to a person who is only 5 and half foot tall.

There is also the culture difference. It case you dont realize, House or Flat in Asian market are MUCH smaller then American counterpart.

So to me, 12 and 14 inch MBA and 16 / 18 inch MBP sounds like a Great Idea.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

So to me, 12 and 14 inch MBA and 16 / 18 inch MBP sounds like a Great Idea.

So you're saying to make the ratio between computer size and human size LARGER? Why?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

What's weird is that 8 months ago everyone was talking about 10" MacBook Airs being the thing that all of Asia wants.

Those were different times. DigItTimes
  • Reply 40 of 40
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I said a while ago that I thought Apple might go with new sizes for the new MB range:

12" & 14" MBA

16" & 18" MBP

If they eliminate the border around the screen and go with an edge to edge screen instead they should be able to increase the screen size without increasing the overall footprint of the machines.

But I actually think 11 & 13 Airs will remain, while Pros may be consolidated into 14 and 16 inch models. That would be a boon for most buyers as 13 inches is too small for a true Pro user, and college students should be eyeing Airs anyway. The 17 inch models are too bulky for just about anyone, which leaves most actual Pro customers eye-balling the 15-inch models. Well, without the HDD and SuperDrive, these new 16 inch machines could offer greater screen size, equal or lighter weight and still not become the heaping machine that a 17 inch MacBook Pro is.

Then of course, these 14 inch models could be sold in Asian markets. I see that as a very nice product matrix that leaves us again with 4 laptops and 4 desktops. Nice, clean, simple and just enough options to hit all major usage scenarios.