Apple issues iMac Graphic, MacBook Pro EFI firmware updates

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Apple this week issued a pair of firmware updates, resolving a flickering graphics issue in late 2008 15-inch MacBook Pro models and addressing a hanging graphics issue on iMacs.

iMac Graphic FW Update 3.0

The iMac Graphic FW update fixes a graphics issue that could cause Apple's all-in-one Mac desktop to hang "under certain conditions." The 481KB download requires OS X Lion.

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.8

The MacBook Pro firmware update is recommended for 15-inch, late 2008 models. The fix resolves a graphics issue that may cause the internal display to flicker. The file is a 1.79MB download and requires OS X 10.5.8, OS X 10.6.8 or OS X 10.7.3.

Apple has released a slew of EFI updates in recent weeks. Last month, the company issued several updates for 2010 Mac models that added support for Lion Recovery over an Internet Connection.

Other recent updates include a Wi-Fi update for the iMac and EFI firmware stability fixes for 2011 Mac models, including the MacBook Air, iMac, MacBook Pro and Mac mini.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's great that they're fixing all these long-standing firmware bugs. Maybe they have a new guy, made himself the EFI guru.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's great that they're fixing all these long-standing firmware bugs. Maybe they have a new guy, made himself the EFI guru.

I haven't experienced these issues, but then I haven't upgraded to Lion. So were these issues always there, or did they come along with Lion? I'd really like to know.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    that was fast... )
  • Reply 4 of 19
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    5 years to fix an issue! Why even bother.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mykydemykyde Posts: 4member
    I have a 2008 MacBook Pro and just completed the firmware update. Went very smoothly. My OS is Lion and I have never experienced any flicker problems, just wanted to keep my machine up to date. I am wondering if this update in some ways prepares the machines for Mountain Lion, but Apple is not saying so?

• Reply 6 of 19
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mykyde View Post

I have a 2008 MacBook Pro and just completed the firmware update. Went very smoothly. My OS is Lion and I have never experienced any flicker problems, just wanted to keep my machine up to date. I am wondering if this update in some ways prepares the machines for Mountain Lion, but Apple is not saying so?

I don't think so. Do you ever run your screen brightness between minimum and half? On some settings in that range my MacBook Pro screen would flicker. Now it looks like that flicker is gone, but I haven't done any extensive tests.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I haven't experienced these issues, but then I haven't upgraded to Lion. So were these issues always there, or did they come along with Lion? I'd really like to know.

I have the late 2008 MBP and experienced the flickering issue. It was purely hardware related, not related to the OS. When on the slower ("better battery life") GPU, the exact number I forget at the moment, it would flicker intermittently, at least once every minute or two.

I tried fixing it a few times but I always left mine on the faster one anyway, since I need the extra power for almost everything I do. The faster GPU always worked perfectly but meant when my laptop wasn't plugged in, it would run hotter and have crappier battery life, but that only bothers me when I was fly (a couple times a year).

The fix worked! Not a flicker since. (Of course after a few hours, I went back to the other GPU.)
  • Reply 8 of 19
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

I have the late 2008 MBP and experienced the flickering issue. It was purely hardware related, not related to the OS. When on the slower ("better battery life") GPU, the exact number I forget at the moment, it would flicker intermittently, at least once every minute or two.

I tried fixing it a few times but I always left mine on the faster one anyway, since I need the extra power for almost everything I do. The faster GPU always worked perfectly but meant when my laptop wasn't plugged in, it would run hotter and have crappier battery life, but that only bothers me when I was fly (a couple times a year).

The fix worked! Not a flicker since. (Of course after a few hours, I went back to the other GPU.)

Same here, but it is no longer my primary machine or under warranty. That MBP went through three logic boards and all of them had the flicker problem. I had to keep it on the discrete chip to avoid the problems. I wonder what took so long?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Sound like you guys had a different "flickering" problem to me I did have an issue where the top half of the screen would go completely blank for a split second at random intervals. That problem was solved by a replacement of the screen.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

For along time, I thought I had a part about to fail in the LCD panel. It just flickers (as in turns off and then on in about 1/20 or so of a second) every now and then. It has done this for 3.5 years.

Thank god they have a fix for it.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    What iMacs does this apply to? I've got a mid-2011 Core i7 & the firmware update isn't showing up in Software Update. The download page at Apple's site is surprisingly devoid of info.

I have had an issue with this machine in Safari only, where the ui becomes unresponsive for a few seconds at a time, but only in Safari. I'm able to command+tab out of it to another app when it happens.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    There was also an EFI update last week targeted to 2009 MBPs where users have upgraded from the original SATA drives (i.e. 1.5Gbps) to newer SATA 3 drives. These machines already had SATA 3 interfaces but shipped with the slower drives. It was not stated exactly what the EFI fixed and it must have been rare as it was stated that it only affected a small number of those that had upgraded to SATA 3 drives. I have been running SATA 3 drives (128GB SDD and 750GB HD) in my 15" late 2009 MBP without issues, but I installed the update anyway.

david
  • Reply 13 of 19
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Maybe they'll get bored enough to issue a 64bit EFI update to the Mac Pro 1,1 and 1,2.

I can dream, can't I?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

5 years to fix an issue! Why even bother.

assuming i didn't miss your /s

Every intel based MBP that I bought is still in use in a business. That flicker one one particular generation used to drive me nuts, i think it was the first one with mini display port...
  • Reply 15 of 19
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Exact same issue with my 2008 15" MBP. However, I've sold it 4 months ago and got me new MBP. I was still under AppleCare when I sold it but never bothered taking for repair.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    soonlarsoonlar Posts: 13member
    Hackintosh! problem solved! .....well, then some new ones present themselves too.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    And the start of new problems, playing cat & mouse with OSX updates that might break your Hackintosh configuration. Not worth it for most people.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I tipped AI twice about the MBP late 2008 (MacBookPro5,1) flickering problem. Just to hope AI will help to publicize the suffering of customer. But you guys never interested to bring the story in.

Now the patch released after 3.5 years, you guys reported the story (and late 2 days).

Totally uncool ;(
  • Reply 19 of 19
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fekimoki View Post

I tipped AI twice about the MBP late 2008 (MacBookPro5,1) flickering problem. Just to hope AI will help to publicize the suffering of customer. But you guys never interested to bring the story in.

Now the patch released after 3.5 years, you guys reported the story (and late 2 days).

Totally uncool ;(

I remember reading about it back them. The issue is well known and discussed in Apple Support forum. There are many YouTube videos as well. I think this wasn't priority for Apple because it only affected the integrated GPU. As long as you use the discrete GPU you are fine.