AT&T sets threshold for 'unlimited' data plan throttling

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Even though I usually go no where near 3GB a month it ticks me off knowing I will get penalized if I do. Loyalty is a thing of the past I guess. Once all 4 of my phone replacements are "sync'd" I will thank AT&T by switching back to Sprint.

I have to wonder about those with Unlimited plans who think they have some "grandfathered" contract from a higher power that will prevent AT&T from not allowing them to take their Unlimited plan with them when they sign a future contract for a new phone, or for those who are not on any contract. I'm certain one day they will completely eradicate the Unlimited user.

Perhaps after Sprint gets rid of it, something that is likely to happen if they can grow their capacity the way Verizon and AT&T did. People think Verizon thasn't had any bandwidth issues but back in October they offered those who would get '4G' phone double data to help alleviate the strain on their network as the iPhone 4S was coming out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Must be that small claims court lawsuit win against AT&T that forced their hand.

Perhaps, but I was expecting this since the price for unlimited is the same price as 3GB so throttling under 3GB was silly. Remember when AT&T first offered tethering but made it a requirement for 4GB and that price was identical to getting 4GB without tethering? Well eventually they made it that getting a 4GB or more plan would auto allow tethering. Same basic concept IMO.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AT&T sets threshold for 'unlimited' data plan throttling

How can that sentence make any sense... don't words have meaning?

Limited speed as a measure of bandwidth usage.

Limited duration as a measure of time usage.

Unlimited data usage as a measure of data usage.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Nope. Your contract denies you from class action status. Arbitration only. The supreme court sided with AT&T on that as well. You're more than welcome to take it to Judge Judy.

Who needs class-action??? Take them to small claims and win a few thousand dollars. It is more than you would get from a class action settlement.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Small Claims Court x Millions.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is that legal?

Pay no attention to the big Red, White, and Blue dick being shoved up your ass.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Data hogs ruin it for everybody. Because of the greed of a few, everybody else suffers.

I stream audio every day during my commute, very small amount of bandwidth used over along period of time puts me over 3G and occasinally near 4G every month. So I'm labeled as GREEDY and a DATA HOG for pulling a massive trickle of data throughout the day over the course of a month. Complete BS.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    scruffyscruffy Posts: 23member
    Hmmm. I wonder how Sprint's customer service is these days....
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

I stream audio every day during my commute, very small amount of bandwidth used over along period of time puts me over 3G and occasinally near 4G every month. So I'm labeled as GREEDY and a DATA HOG for pulling a massive trickle of data throughout the day over the course of a month. Complete BS.

He's not a serious poster. He thinks he's being clever by posting what he thinks the ultimate Apple apologist would say. Best just to ignore him... or make him cry.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

So why haven't I heard even a whisper about it since the Verizon iPhone 4 launch? And why do people still buy Verizon and Sprint iPhones, then?

I don't expect an answer. I don't WANT an answer. I'm exposing nonsense, is all.

Well, it seems to me that Zither doesn't believe it either, he is just trying to stir the pot.

However, I will answer your question as best as I can. Many (most?) of the Verizon iPhone buyers were already Verizon customers so they were never accustomed to having voice and data at the same time. They have no cause for complaint. OTOH, people who did switch to Verizon did so with the full knowledge of that limitation--it's not like it was a secret. They would have known that they were making the choice to give up simultaneous voice and data in return for better coverage in their area or a better rate plan or whatever. If THEY were to complain they would rightly be called idiots.

For me, I don't use voice and data simultaneously all that often, but when I do I find it extremely useful--usually I have GPS and maps going while talking on speakerphone. I have even helped family members with dumbphones find their way by using my maps while talking to them... It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I would certainly miss it!

Finally, we will never know how many people decided to stay with AT&T because of this functionality. Who knows, maybe that is exactly the reason the long rumored mass exodus never occurred when Verizon got the iPhone.

If you find this line of reasoning to be nonsense, that is fine with me. It will be a moot point soon anyway with LTE, I guess...
  • Reply 29 of 72
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Since Sprint is slowly circling the drain, Apple should buy them and offer unlimited everything for free while yanking iPhones and iPads from AT&T & Verizon. When they melt, Apple & Google can fight it out for them.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    jack macjack mac Posts: 92member
    Quote:

You cannot talk and surf the web at the same time with Verizon, and that ability is very important to iPhone users.

Maybe you weren't aware of that?

For example, if your wife calls you on your 25th Wedding Anniversary, and you had forgotten, you can make a dinner reservation online while you chat with her. Then you don't get in trouble.

With Verizon, you end up in the doghouse for the night, instead of enjoying sa delicious meal with your beloved.

Its not worth it. Stick with ATT.

I prefer the alternative, if I am online and she calls about the Anniversary I don't get the call, I save money and my mistress is happy. Verizon is the only way.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    20,000%? I got around 560% with my math.. can someone give me clarity how they got their #?
  • Reply 32 of 72
    AT&T follows the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition. Never be afraid to mislabel a product. Market it as unlimited, operate it as dial-up.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

So why haven't I heard even a whisper about it since the Verizon iPhone 4 launch? And why do people still buy Verizon and Sprint iPhones, then?

I don't expect an answer. I don't WANT an answer. I'm exposing nonsense, is all.

People on those services don't know they could have it on other services.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel2 View Post

20,000%? I got around 560% with my math.. can someone give me clarity how they got their #?

I assume that the 7 million and 39.4 million you used to do your calculation is for the number of smartphone units (or devices that pay for data) on their network in 2007 and 2011, respectively. The 20,000% is the rate by which their network load has gone up as smartphones have become more user friendly in terms of data usage and the network speeds allow us to consume a lot more data in a shorter time frame.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

VZ and T have market caps of $109 and $182 billion...

Maybe an opportunity to disrupt the US cell phone service industry and the cableco service industry too...

• Reply 36 of 72
    mcbridedmcbrided Posts: 12member
    Quote:

You cannot talk and surf the web at the same time with Verizon, and that ability is very important to iPhone users.

For example, if your wife calls you on your 25th Wedding Anniversary, and you had forgotten, you can make a dinner reservation online while you chat with her. Then you don't get in trouble.

With Verizon, you end up in the doghouse for the night, instead of enjoying sa delicious meal with your beloved.

Now that wifi is a necessity for most iPhone users due to the insane data caps/prices, I never find myself not on wifi wishing I could talk and use data concurrently.

Was a bragging point I suppose when I had AT&T. Now on Verizon and haven't looked back. The solid voice connections is reason enough for me - there are constant AT&T call droppage issues in the surrounding Seattle area.
  • Reply 37 of 72
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcbrided View Post

Now that wifi is a necessity for most iPhone users due to the insane data caps/prices, I never find myself not on wifi wishing I could talk and use data concurrently.

Was a bragging point I suppose when I had AT&T. Now on Verizon and haven't looked back. The solid voice connections is reason enough for me - there are constant AT&T call droppage issues in the surrounding Seattle area.

I can't imagine not having this, not to mention the much faster '3G' speeds. Pretty much everytme I'm on a call I'm using my phone for data to read an email, read a website, read a text, use an app. Yes, I'm using a headset, I'm not speaker phone.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    Quote:

I've thought long and hard about this. I've decided I'm switching to Verizon when my contract is up in June. Although I'd love to be able to surf and talk at the same time, it doesn't make any sense to have this feature if I can't maintain a phone call. I've been with AT&T since the original iPhone and now with iPhone 4. My calls still drop more than ever and nothing has changed here in San Francisco. Using my phone as a phone is the most important feature for me and Verizon wins in that department.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Soooo... Its a limited unlimited plan?

Screwing over consumers is the American way of business anymore. Standard procedure. Thank goodness for the likes of Apple who still believes in competition through innovation, quality products and service. I wish they would buy At&T with their $100 billion in cash.