Apple highlights creation of 514,000 jobs in America

Comments

• Reply 61 of 164
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    This announcement is an embarrassment for Tim Cook's apple, no more no less, anyone who isn't an apologist and who has a modicum of wit is well aware of it. Jobs may have been a ... in some of his business dealings but he d also done acid, he also had a flair for the aesthetic and the craziness and disruptiveness to drive apple forward. The operations guy better fire a few people off his pr machine because to address people with this level of arguments as if they were morons isn't doing apple any good.
  • Reply 62 of 164
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

everyone can do more...but as long as profits > humanity that'll never happen.

Such is the way of things.

Singling out one corporation isn't the right way to go about changing things.

I m with you, but they shouldn't insult our intelligence either
  • Reply 63 of 164
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

This announcement is an embarrassment for Tim Cook's apple, no more no less, anyone who isn't an apologist and who has a modicum of wit is well aware of it. Jobs may have been a ... in some of his business dealings but he d also done acid, he also had a flair for the aesthetic and the craziness and disruptiveness to drive apple forward. The operations guy better fire a few people off his pr machine because to address people with this level of arguments as if they were morons isn't doing apple any good.

I agree this is a completely unnecessary announcement and looks (on the face of it) like someone is trying to make political points. Jobs would not be happy with this level of attempting to appease critics.
  • Reply 64 of 164
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

everyone can do more...but as long as profits > humanity that'll never happen.

That all depends on how narrow-minded and bigoted your definition of humanity is. Obviously, you only consider white, Anglo-Saxon Americans as part of humanity.

For most of the employees in China who are working indirectly for Apple, that job is a matter of life or death for them and their families. Or, at the very least, it's the difference between a nice office job that hundreds of thousands of people want or a backbreaking job in the fields that everyone is trying to get away from.

If you get off your high horse, Apple's doing a great deal for humanity in China.
  • Reply 65 of 164
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree this is a completely unnecessary announcement and looks (on the face of it) like someone is trying to make political points. Jobs would not be happy with this level of sucking up to critics.

Apple has a job to do - to sell as many systems and make as much money as they can. The latest nonsense about working conditions in China and exporting jobs to China could have an impact on their sales.

Presenting facts and independent audits hasn't helped. So the only option left is to fight FUD with more FUD - which is what Apple's doing here. If it convinces some of the complainers to stop complaining, it's worth every penny - and certainly not 'completely unnecessary' as you allege.
  • Reply 66 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

Dayam, that's pretty sweet. I wonder just exactly how many of them were counted.

Did they also count the salespeople at ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Best Buy, Target and Walmart.

I hope that they did. They are relevant. It makes good sense to support American companies for a lot of reasons, and jobs of all sorts are one of them.
  • Reply 67 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

If the jobs of UPS and FEDEX are being counted because of shipments of Apple products then I can only imagine how many jobs Amazon has created? Or Newegg or any of the other thousands of companies that ship things each day. Seems like a stretch.

All of them create jobs.

The problem is the changing landscape. We may be going through as big a shift these days as when the agricultural jobs dried up due to mechanization. In the long run, these sorts of transitions are good, but huge dislocations are created in the short run.
  • Reply 68 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

For the record, I am not saying Apple is the new Microsoft. Google is the new Microsoft.

Don't kid yourself. Every huge megacorporation is like Microsoft in many, many respects. Apple is not some kind of a saint. They exist to funnel profits to Wall Street. Just like every other huge corporation.
  • Reply 69 of 164
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you get off your high horse, Apple's doing a great deal for humanity in China.

I can't help thinking that if I was Chinese I'd want you to get off your high horse
  • Reply 70 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Liberal nonsense.

It most certainly is nonsense.

Tim Cook may or may not feel social responsibility. Apple is a corporation, and as such feels nothing. They are not a charitable foundation. They have no responsibility except to Wall Street.

That may be bad, or it may be OK. But it is true.
  • Reply 71 of 164
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

250,000 people are paying apple to to be their developers. But how many are making a profit?

In house apps? Companies give away apps as part of their service. They don't spring up out of the ground ready to install.

Could also be LLCs set up to protect individual developer's assets.

There are all kinds of ways.
  • Reply 72 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DreadSnuggles View Post

Hmmmm...I'm not a fan of nationalism, but...you owe nothing to the community that made you who you are? Well, at least you use Apple products!

People may owe something to the community. Corporations do not. They need heavy government regulation to keep them from doing harm.

People are at the base of all - but some institutions like government have responsibilities to them, and others, like corporations, do not.

Like it or hate it, that is the way of the world.

We need to strike a balance between the various institutions we people create. Some have the purpose of creating wealth, others have the purpose of maintaining the public good.

You an vote with your time and with your ballots and with your money.

You can argue about various economic and legal and political structures. But to say that corporations have responsibility to anyone except their shareholders is a losing argument. We have various other institutions to do that.
  • Reply 73 of 164
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You obviously have no idea what I meant and still decided to write a rant.

I'm talking about the industries that Apple has consumed, will continue to consume.

Brick and mortar stores were on their decline but Apple and iTunes sped up that process.

What's next? Publishing? TV?

First off I can show you ranting if you want.

Second, still don't agree with you. Apple is successful and therefore evil? You said so yourself that stores were on the decline. Apple filled a void. Nature of competition.

And the way I see it Apple creates industries to replace ones that are dying already. If it hastens the death of something, so be it.
  • Reply 74 of 164
    Quote:

I'd like to know how many jobs has Apple killed? I'm sure that number is greater than 514,000.

I'm not so sure that they have killed so man jobs, but it is a relevant question. I'm not so sure that the dead jobs, like the guys in the pre-computer age who used quill pens to fill in ledger books, should still be around.

Efficiency is the enemy of the working man, but as a whole, it is better than, for example, outlawing steam shovels and hiring armies of men with picks and shovels.
  • Reply 75 of 164
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DreadSnuggles View Post

Hmmmm...I'm not a fan of nationalism, but...you owe nothing to the community that made you who you are? Well, at least you use Apple products!

They are a business.
  • Reply 76 of 164
    Quote:

why is giving a fuck such a negative thing to you?

Giving a fuck can be done many ways.
  • Reply 77 of 164
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Don't kid yourself. Every huge megacorporation is like Microsoft in many, many respects. Apple is not some kind of a saint. They exist to funnel profits to Wall Street. Just like every other huge corporation.

First you assume I dislike profitable companies. I love companies that make money and funnel money to Wall Street. Usually they keep me employed directly or indirectly.

Second, Apple is different for Microsoft because of the way they are perceived. Google is the company many people hate but still use daily. Apple is a company that if people hate them, they avoid their products.

So, Google is the new Microsoft. You dislike them but stick with them because the alternatives are not attractive.
  • Reply 78 of 164
    Quote:

What free market? What competition? Whenever there's a worthy competitor it gets bought. We used to have Exxon and Mobil competing and what do we have now? ExxonMobil and gas prices through the roof.

That's more to do with a weak dollar. If you're currency was backed by silver or gold you're dollar would buy all the gas you need. The problem is your country (who runs it) is more interesting in blowing up the world than addressing its own economic nightmare. And the fact that your country no longer has actual news means that isn't changing anytime soon.
  • Reply 79 of 164
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree this is a completely unnecessary announcement and looks (on the face of it) like someone is trying to make political points. Jobs would not be happy with this level of attempting to appease critics.

Agree. But I suspect this is just the beginnings of a sinister plan to seek political independence and declare Apple as a new nation. Obviously this is where the 100 pr so billion dollars will be spent. Tim will be president and the Unified State of Apple will wage war on the Fragmented State of Samsung, who are in the process of seceding from South Korea. Apple announcement will increasingly contain political overtones and then turn into overt political proclamations as they work the public into a frenzy.

Phew, I need another toke...
  • Reply 80 of 164
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Whats your point since most of the products you mention aren't made in the USA to start with? Saving trees is a bad thing?

Some are made here. Some were designed here. Many were marketed and sold and shipped here. How many stores like, say, Franklin-Covery, have closed? How many employees?

Besides, that's just a few of them. I've got a list I made of hundreds of the silly things.

Smart phones and tablets (iPhone and iPad) have clearcut a huge segment of the consumer electronics and other industries...